Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

  1. #61
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    And the research couldn't be done in the US why?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    I need to justify nothing to you.

    You have no idea how blind you truly are.

    It is quite pathetic and very laughable.
    Man. I guess that about wraps things up, eh, folks?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #63
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You haven't seen me with attitude and that was just a simple response.


    Who's up in arms? Where did you get that information?
    Ockham, all you need to do is acknowledge that any information you have received about teaching has come through other sources and not via direct experience. That doesn't make you any lesser of a person--that makes you more of an honest person. But it does imply that whatever sources have given you your views have been tainted by their own ideologies.

    You, and the other people who are unaware of their teacher-bashing views, would do well to follow one of the oldest people skills in existence: Start seeing things from the other person's point-of-view, however wrong you feel that view may be.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #64
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Ockham, all you need to do is acknowledge that any information you have received about teaching has come through other sources and not via direct experience. That doesn't make you any lesser of a person--that makes you more of an honest person. But it does imply that whatever sources have given you your views have been tainted by their own ideologies.
    I did that in Post #21. Everyone's own views are tainted by their own ideologies - always. That doesn't however change the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You, and the other people who are unaware of their teacher-bashing views, would do well to follow one of the oldest people skills in existence: Start seeing things from the other person's point-of-view, however wrong you feel that view may be.
    That would be interesting if I were teacher bashing, however, that's not the case. But please, make more accusations and avoid discussing the topic. Make it all about me and my views and not about facts.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #65
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I did that in Post #21. Everyone's own views are tainted by their own ideologies - always. That doesn't however change the facts.

    That would be interesting if I were teacher bashing, however, that's not the case. But please, make more accusations and avoid discussing the topic. Make it all about me and my views and not about facts.
    You can't just come into this debate and not expect to have your expertise on the matter tested. There are too many armchair quarterbacks in the education debate whose views suggest a serious lack of knowledge of the subject, judgment, or both. Your flailing like this does not bode well for passing that test. Sorry if that makes you feel badly.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #66
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You can't just come into this debate and not expect to have your expertise on the matter tested.
    I never claimed expertise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    There are too many armchair quarterbacks in the education debate whose views suggest a serious lack of knowledge of the subject, judgment, or both. Your flailing like this does not bode well for passing that test. Sorry if that makes you feel badly.
    Why would I let you make me feel badly? Do you have any thing NOT related to me to add to the topic? I'm flattered at all the attention and I feel I need to tell you I'm straight, married, have a house, 3 vehicles and am not looking for more involvement. I'm sorry you cannot debate the topic.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #67
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,862

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I never claimed expertise.

    Why would I let you make me feel badly? Do you have any thing NOT related to me to add to the topic? I'm flattered at all the attention and I feel I need to tell you I'm straight, married, have a house, 3 vehicles and am not looking for more involvement. I'm sorry you cannot debate the topic.
    He has not recognized that the sword cuts both ways.

    BTW, who christened him the expert here?

    Self-proclaimed expertise on the internet is the reason all those 14 year olds hold both PhD and medical degrees.

    He doth BS too much.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #68
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    He has not recognized that the sword cuts both ways.

    BTW, who christened him the expert here?

    Self-proclaimed expertise on the internet is the reason all those 14 year olds hold both PhD and medical degrees.

    He doth BS too much.
    You could always address these concerns in the second person instead of relaying through someone else.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #69
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I never claimed expertise.

    Why would I let you make me feel badly? Do you have any thing NOT related to me to add to the topic? I'm flattered at all the attention and I feel I need to tell you I'm straight, married, have a house, 3 vehicles and am not looking for more involvement. I'm sorry you cannot debate the topic.
    Man, you're taking this stuff way too personally. I'm not trying to single you out here. But there is way, way too much anti-teacher rhetoric from those who've never spent a day in their lives having to manage a classroom and all that goes on in it and around it. If people would be quick to listen to teachers and slow to judge them, in all likelihood I would be willing to return the favor.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #70
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. To Fund Math Education Research in Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Man, you're taking this stuff way too personally. I'm not trying to single you out here.
    Your words directly contradict your actions. You have done nothing but make it personal for the last 3 posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    But there is way, way too much anti-teacher rhetoric from those who've never spent a day in their lives having to manage a classroom and all that goes on in it and around it. If people would be quick to listen to teachers and slow to judge them, in all likelihood I would be willing to return the favor.
    People have their own opinions and nothing I've said is anti-teacher. It seems whatever baggage you are bringing into this discussion about a proposed Canadian study is preventing you from discussing the actual topic. That's not my problem. I've stated emphatically teachers are hamstrung given the curriculum they are required to use, that they are teaching kids how to take tests instead of teaching. I HAVE been critical of teachers unions as they are a road block to getting and keeping good teachers and removing bad ones, and I'm critical of the administrative money that drives all of the political behavior which leaves kids and their education far down the list of priorities. If you read my posts and didn't inject your own baggage into a failed discussion you apparently want to make about ME instead of the topic, this would have gone a lot better. Have a nice day.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •