Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Illinois is the state I know the least about so I won't even try to defend them. But NY and CA - what states are more prosperous?

    5th or 8th may be affected by the rise of other nations rather than the falling of that state. China and India are newcomers to the super-size economies.

    NY and CA are also the 2 states that are most guilty of micro-management so don't get the impression that I'm supporting their methods.


    All three use to make up 2/3rds of the nations economy.....something that the Democrats should never got a hold of. As you can see.....with Illinois and Chicago alone it has been a good 75 years of absolute failure by the left. Also it is something that Democratic Politicians avoid talking about at all costs.


    Course Emanuel shows all just how much they want to micro manage others lives.

  2. #42
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,152

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Can you bring me up to speed about states filing bankruptcy? I never heard of this before. But I looked and think you are wrong State bankruptcy bill imminent, Gingrich says | Reuters Are you thinking of cities maybe?

    Not sure you're correct about that beer pocketbook either. California is the 8th largest economy in the world. New York is the financial center of the world. Illinois provides thick, juicy steaks.
    Only a handful of States currently have a provision for filing bankruptcy in their State Charters. Many States are having debt problems, the same as many individuals, but what does the federal government have to do with that? Perhaps they should concern themselves with the $ 17+ trillion that they owe?

    California may be the 8th largest economy in the world, but it alone has more than $ 600 billion in debt, with $ 62 billion currently owed to pensions and healthcare costs...and that amount is growing, according to State officials. New York's public debt is about $300 billion. As a comparison, the entire country of Greece has $ 423 billion in public debt.

    Greetings, specklebang.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-29-14 @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    All three use to make up 2/3rds of the nations economy.....something that the Democrats should never got a hold of. As you can see.....with Illinois and Chicago alone it has been a good 75 years of absolute failure by the left. Also it is something that Democratic Politicians avoid talking about at all costs.


    Course Emanuel shows all just how much they want to micro manage others lives.
    That is such bull**** it's insane...

    Which era are you talking about in the first place?

    I mean a bald man could say "hey I used to have hair"...

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That is such bull**** it's insane...

    Which era are you talking about in the first place?

    I mean a bald man could say "hey I used to have hair"...

    Not at all.....the Democrats should never be allowed around Big money.


    From the late 40's to now.....although technically even when Thompson was a Mayor of Chicago. The Democrats had already gained power thru the Boys of Prohibition.

  5. #45
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    All three use to make up 2/3rds of the nations economy.....something that the Democrats should never got a hold of. As you can see.....with Illinois and Chicago alone it has been a good 75 years of absolute failure by the left. Also it is something that Democratic Politicians avoid talking about at all costs.

    Course Emanuel shows all just how much they want to micro manage others lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Only a handful of States currently have a provision for filing bankruptcy in their State Charters. Many States are having debt problems, the same as many individuals, but what does the federal government have to do with that? Perhaps they should concern themselves with the $ 17+ trillion that they owe?

    California may be the 8th largest economy in the world, but it alone has more than $ 600 billion in debt, with $ 62 billion currently owed to pensions and healthcare costs...and that amount is growing, according to State officials. New York's public debt is about $300 billion. As a comparison, the entire country of Greece has $ 423 billion in public debt.

    Greetings, specklebang.
    So, I'm curious how you feel this will all turn out. The Federal government can create money pretty easily but the states really can't. And yet they manage to keep on increasing their debts.

    I'm astounded that the country can have a 17T debt and yet they just keep passing new laws to enforce and creating more debt to enforce them with. It should have collapsed long ago but the US Dollar is still what the whole world wants.

  6. #46
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,152

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So, I'm curious how you feel this will all turn out. The Federal government can create money pretty easily but the states really can't. And yet they manage to keep on increasing their debts.

    I'm astounded that the country can have a 17T debt and yet they just keep passing new laws to enforce and creating more debt to enforce them with. It should have collapsed long ago but the US Dollar is still what the whole world wants.
    The only explanation I have is that most politicians love to spend money, even if they have to borrow that money from others. Unfortunately, most of them are lawyers, not economists. The handwriting is on the wall, though. For the past 50 years a country such as Australia, or Chile, or France, as examples, who wanted to buy oil from Saudi Arabia had to first convert their currency into dollars to pay for that oil, since the dollar is the world's reserve currency, and was accepted by everybody for buying and selling. Recently, though, more and more large countries are in the process of bypassing the dollar, since they are becoming alarmed by our inability to control our debt, and hence, the dollar's worth. If enough countries join in the argument, it will not be good for us, since we enjoy some monetary perks by being the reserve currency for the world, such as borrowing at a lower cost, which saves us at least $ 100 billion dollars a year in interest charges. I don't want to see us losing our reserve currency status, but it looks like we might, and sooner than anyone expects. When the MSM, and the wealthiest people in the world, start talking about the possibility, which they are, we'd better pay attention!



    For the moment, perhaps. It apparently is in the process of changing, as more and more countries are becoming alarmed at our inability to control the dollar's worth.
    Last edited by polgara; 01-17-14 at 11:17 PM. Reason: delete last paragraph of my post

  7. #47
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,891

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Smoking doesn't "cause cancer" people are either predisposed to cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth etc or they're not - smoking may exceed the inevitable...

    We all die of cancer - when we die of old age we die of cancer.

    Cancer is genetics...... There is no cause for cancer...

    That's why 2-year-olds are born with cancer -- it's not a ****ing disease it's an illness.
    Any sources for that? Reputable, peer-reviewed Journal of Medicine stuff, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #48
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,891

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    More nanny BS showing the greatest harm to smokers may indeed be the government and non-smoking fanatics.
    Less concerned with the smokers than those they are around all the time. Like their kids. Or the rest of us who have to walk thru their 'clouds' and smell like smoke after. Not necessarily a health hazard, but an infringement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #49
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,891

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    No. You're a ****ing addict who is sold these cigarettes because big business comes first and the victims take the blame.
    May I ask your age?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Welfare is a bad thing? It is essentially free money. It is not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #50
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Surgeon General adds to List of Smoking's Harms.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    May I ask your age?
    Three Score and Ten. The age of wisdom and approaching oblivion. Biblically speaking, I am now on borrowed time. May I ask why you ask?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •