Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 160

Thread: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

  1. #71
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Whenever someone compares modern voter ID laws to Jim Crow laws, I want to slap them in the face. They are categorically dissimilar. I think there is actually grounds to make the claim that the argument against voter ID via "racism" is what is inherently racist.

    Think with me for a second:

    1. Jim Crow laws were specific and explicit in keeping blacks and whites seperate.
    2. There is nothing specific or explicit in voter ID laws which treat whites and blacks as seperate groups of people.
    3. In arguing that voter ID laws are racist, one must assume that there is a difference between the races.
    4. This assumed difference is most often argued as one of either means or motive.
    5. Iif you argue that voter ID laws are racist, you make the logical assumption that blacks categorically lack the trivial means by which to acquire an ID and vote or categorically lack the motivation to vote. Both of those assumptions are more explicitly racist in nature than the voter ID laws being argued against.

  2. #72
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Looks like a lot of people aren't familiar with how far PA has been in accommodating getting a valid ID for voting. They even included a nursing home ID as an acceptable ID. The ID's are free and they even delayed the date for implementation on a couple occasions. Even if you don't have an ID, you vote provisionally.

    There are just some people for which there will never, ever be a valid reason to require an ID to vote even if the ID is stamped on everyone's forehead at birth and 500 years pass.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Whenever someone compares modern voter ID laws to Jim Crow laws, I want to slap them in the face. They are categorically dissimilar. I think there is actually grounds to make the claim that the argument against voter ID via "racism" is what is inherently racist.

    Think with me for a second:

    1. Jim Crow laws were specific and explicit in keeping blacks and whites seperate.
    2. There is nothing specific or explicit in voter ID laws which treat whites and blacks as seperate groups of people.
    3. In arguing that voter ID laws are racist, one must assume that there is a difference between the races.
    4. This assumed difference is most often argued as one of either means or motive.
    5. Iif you argue that voter ID laws are racist, you make the logical assumption that blacks categorically lack the trivial means by which to acquire an ID and vote or categorically lack the motivation to vote. Both of those assumptions are more explicitly racist in nature than the voter ID laws being argued against.
    It is a well-documented fact that the people who are most likely to lack an ID card are:
    young people, esp college students
    elderly people
    low income people
    historically oppressed minorities

    No racist assumptions are needed to oppose demanding that those people come up with ID cards immediately in order to continue voting. In addition, statements by many of the ID law advocates make their real intentions clear. There is also a correlation between states with a history of racism and the recent introduction of restrictive voter ID laws.

  4. #74
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It is a well-documented fact that the people who are most likely to lack an ID card are:
    young people, esp college students
    elderly people
    low income people
    historically oppressed minorities

    No racist assumptions are needed to oppose demanding that those people come up with ID cards immediately in order to continue voting. In addition, statements by many of the ID law advocates make their real intentions clear. There is also a correlation between states with a history of racism and the recent introduction of restrictive voter ID laws.
    Why do these groups choose to not get ID?

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Why do these groups choose to not get ID?
    In many cases they haven't needed one. For example college students who don't drive might use their student ID card for most purposes.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It is a well-documented fact that the people who are most likely to lack an ID card are:
    young people, esp college students
    elderly people
    low income people
    historically oppressed minorities

    No racist assumptions are needed to oppose demanding that those people come up with ID cards immediately in order to continue voting. In addition, statements by many of the ID law advocates make their real intentions clear. There is also a correlation between states with a history of racism and the recent introduction of restrictive voter ID laws.

    Baloney. College aged kids WILL HAVE AN ID, period. My God what world do you live in anyway?
    Old people... ROTFLMAO.. They are the MOST likely to have one and if they don't, well, how many years should we give them the opportunity to acquire one?
    Low income people? How low income, do you mean homeless? Maybe, but even welfare queens have ID you silly person.
    Historically oppressed minorities, oh you mean undocumented workers, of which I prefer to call illegal aliens.

    Got anything else that even approaches factual data?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #77
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Tim- illegal aliens cannot vote. Got anything factual?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Baloney. College aged kids WILL HAVE AN ID, period. My God what world do you live in anyway?
    Old people... ROTFLMAO.. They are the MOST likely to have one and if they don't, well, how many years should we give them the opportunity to acquire one?
    Low income people? How low income, do you mean homeless? Maybe, but even welfare queens have ID you silly person.
    Historically oppressed minorities, oh you mean undocumented workers, of which I prefer to call illegal aliens.

    Got anything else that even approaches factual data?

    Tim-
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #78
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    In many cases they haven't needed one. For example college students who don't drive might use their student ID card for most purposes.
    College students don't use banks, cars, have a job, or buy any age restricted products?

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    To me, and despite all the liberal musings, it is insane that a person shouldn't have to prove they are who they say they are to vote? I can't think of ANY legitimate reason not to do so.


    Tim-
    that is because you and I care about the prevention of cheating in elections, liberals encourage it.

  10. #80
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Pennsylvania judge strikes down state's voter ID law

    One of my students today had a college ID and gun permit as her 2 pieces of ID. Just found it odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    College students don't use banks, cars, have a job, or buy any age restricted products?
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •