Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 376

Thread: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

  1. #191
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    how in the heck could Saddam have gotten a nuclear detonation on the North American continent? "Imminent and grave" is ridiculous.
    It was always ridiculous, and even embarrassing. But Bush was desperate for his LONG anticipated war with Iraq, and even (as quoted earlier) France just 30 days before the attack was saying, no, "the Blix report". But when the Bush administration was asking if we had to wait for the smoking gun in the form of a mushroom cloud over a US city, Americans listened! Fear sells.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #192
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Who are you quoting here?
    Condelleza Rice! Did it escape you?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #193
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Perhaps, but we're not occupying Libya.
    Only because it wasn't deemed necessary. Not because one regime (I mean of course administration) is more benevolent than the other.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #194
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it's not the only difference. Neither is good, but they are not the same.
    Well sure, huge differences could of course be pointed out between Libya and Iraq. But the similarities are what's important, and at topic.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #195
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Only because it wasn't deemed necessary. Not because one regime (I mean of course administration) is more benevolent than the other.
    Iraq wasn't necessary, so that is a difference in how they handle what isn't necessary. I haven't called Obama's administration benevolent. Just not as bad as Bush's was. There is much I disagree with Obama on. I just won't pretend he has done as poorly as Bush on these things.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #196
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I understand that the buck stops with the President. Realistically however it's simply not possible for him to know specifically everything about embassy/consulate security issues in individual nations as well as understand the contents of all the State Department requests and the outcomes of those requests is simply ludicrous.

    Just as ludicrous as the whole "Navy Seals were pleading for help and Obama ignored them" crap.

    Just as ludicrous as saying GWB specifically ignored the threat from Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. He didn't. Rice certainly did. I don't think GWB ever got properly briefed on the situation. It was a case of people who worked for him not agreeing with the people working in the counter terrorism and intelligence field. 9/11 could have been prevented. But just because it happened on Bush's watch doesn't mean Bush somehow caused it or is even remotely responsible for it.

    Did it happen on his watch? Yes. Certainly somebody did not recognize the gravity and timeliness of the situation. Somebody, several somebodies, should have known better.

    Terrible situation. Hyper partisan amping up of the facts don't do anything worthwhile.
    Wow! So, we should just ignore it, and pretend that everything possible was done right? We should be content that some poor schmuck that made a stupid video years ago was thrown into jail to further a lie? We should be content with our leaders openly lying to our face?

    What did the President know? When did he know it? and What did he instruct be done about it? These are questions that EVERY american should want to know.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #197
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well sure, huge differences could of course be pointed out between Libya and Iraq. But the similarities are what's important, and at topic.
    I don't think so. I believe the differences matter.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #198
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Iraq wasn't necessary, so that is a difference in how they handle what isn't necessary. I haven't called Obama's administration benevolent. Just not as bad as Bush's was. There is much I disagree with Obama on. I just won't pretend he has done as poorly as Bush on these things.
    Was Lybia necessary?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #199
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes that is largely the case, although there's blame enough for other Western countries, especially France. Bottom line being, 1973 authorized the use of force to protect civilians, and said nothing about removing the Libyan government, and, Russia was a keen observer including by satellite, and vocal from the beginning that the cruise missiles flying from US ships were hitting targets consistent with "regime change"! And this is the STATED reason that when attention moved on to Syria, both China and Russia consistently vetoed all attempts by the US to secure a resolution for the use of force there. Because as Bush tried but failed to articulate, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".
    very good point. "degrading" Assad, as Obama was proposing, was a bad idea - but China and Russia did properly point to the regime change in Libya as a reason not to trust the US.
    Granted it was more then the US in Libya, but the US did command and control and fired the most missiles, most sorties.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Senate report: Attacks in Benghazi could have been prevented

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Was Lybia necessary?
    More than Iraq was, and not really just a US effort. No coalition of the willing. But not something I supported.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •