Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 403

Thread: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

  1. #31
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Liberal Obama supporters always ask the question about what would like Obama to do? Well, when he comes out like this, threatening to just go around congress, and make law himself void of the legislative process, then it is no longer the country I recognize...I guess Podesta is already making his presence felt.

    It is no wonder we think Obama is dangerous, because HE IS!

    We have a process in this country to do these things Obama wants to do, and it certainly is not unilaterally. We don't have a King, we don't have a dictator, what we have in Obama may actually be worse.
    You are correct to point out that Obama's end runs around congress are dangerous to our constitutional republic. But you partisans are part of the problem, because just like all the good lefties are here defending Obama (when there is no defense for this) all you good partisan righties were looking the other way and making excuses for Bush when he did the same. This is what's ****ing America! Americans failing to hold their leaders responsible because team support in the end is more important. If people could only be Americans first and respect our constitution ALL the time, and not just when the opposing party is in power. Short of that, this thread is a POS.


    Andrew Rosenthal, editorial page editor at The New York Times, notes that "President George W. Bush used his executive power to bypass Congress, almost as a matter of routine," and "now President Barack Obama is pulling a similar stunt."
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #32
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, he didn't. That's the words you're putting in his mouth. He just said he will sign executive orders and take executive action...two things long held to be constitutional in a general sense. WHAT Executive Orders and Actions he takes may be an issue, and may fall outside the lines of what is constitutional. However, he didn't SPECIFY what action or orders would occur, only that he can do them in a general sense. That's not dictatorial, that's not a coup, that's not making a law himself.

    YOU claiming he said something that clearly and indisputably he did not say isn't a "constitutional and liberty" issue...it's a reading comprehension and assumption issue.
    Really? Did I quote him as saying those words, or was I offering my opnion as to what he is really saying? Yeah, there's a comprehension issue alright. Get it straight.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  3. #33
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    There are no Constitutional issues here. It's just radical partisan rhetoric perhaps inspired by fevered dreams caused by brain parasites. Have you seen your doctor lately? Might be high-time you did. Last time I checked using signing statements, executive orders, and presidential actions were perfectly Constitutional.
    Why should I see my doctor? Are you making some kind of slur against me?

    Is that permitted under the TOS here?

    You don't think there is any Constitutional issue with a President taking action that is reserved by the Constitution for Congress? If you respond, please hold off on the personal attacks, as they don't really add to your argument. I'd rather have a well-reasoned response instead of some slur that you use instead, and you somehow think bolsters your case. Rest assured, it does not.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #34
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Barack Obama: first president to use executive orders.
    Well, looks like you have completely missed the point.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  5. #35
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Why should I see my doctor? Are you making some kind of slur against me?

    Is that permitted under the TOS here?

    You don't think there is any Constitutional issue with a President taking action that is reserved by the Constitution for Congress? If you respond, please hold off on the personal attacks, as they don't really add to your argument. I'd rather have a well-reasoned response instead of some slur that you use instead, and you somehow think bolsters your case. Rest assured, it does not.
    Can you point out the law that bans executive orders, signing statements, and presidential action?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Really? Did I quote him as saying those words, or was I offering my opnion as to what he is really saying? Yeah, there's a comprehension issue alright. Get it straight.
    You claimed "He just declared that he is going to take power from Congress and make laws himself". He declared no such thing. You didn't claim that his intent was to make a law himself, you didn't say that his words mean he plans to do this, you didn't suggest you were offering an oionion...you were plainly stating that he declared something he unequivocaly did not declare.

    It'd be no different than me stating "Anthony60 just declared that he is Obama's #1 fan and supports what he is doing fully".

  7. #37
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Yea! I hate it when a President wants "make sure our kids are getting the best education possible". And nothing pisses me off more than a President who wants to be "making sure that our businesses are getting the kind of support and help they need to grow and advance". And I'll be damned if I am going to sit idle when a president wants "to make sure that people are getting the skills that they need to get those jobs that our businesses are creating.”

    You leave me one of two response options:

    1. People aren't mad that he want to "make sure our kids...," they are mad a) because they think his means of accomplishing his ends do more harm then good and b) that he doesn't listen to anyone but people he already agrees with, so they don't feel heard.

    2. You have the critical thinking skills (or humor) of a four-year-old.

    Which would you prefer? Personally, I'd go with #1 unless you're a troll at which point #2 is much more entertaining and about as useful.
    Last edited by CycloneWanderer; 01-15-14 at 12:29 PM.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You claimed "He just declared that he is going to take power from Congress and make laws himself".
    Oh, so now you are changing your tune, after the fact? Let me answer for you, no I did not quote him. You were mistaken.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #39
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Liberals or Obama supporters (in this case), try to stay on topic, please.

    I already see a few of you wrongly claiming that the argument is that a President can't sign an executive order, and he is the first one ever to do so. If that's the argument you are making, please quote where that is stated so we all know.

    To anyone with a bit of intelligence, it is obvious that the tactic is to veer off the actual argument and take it in a ridiculous direction because you are unable to actually argue the point. If you can't make a legitimate argument, then stay out of it.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #40
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Liberals or Obama supporters (in this case), try to stay on topic, please.

    I already see a few of you wrongly claiming that the argument is that a President can't sign an executive order, and he is the first one ever to do so. If that's the argument you are making, please quote where that is stated so we all know.

    To anyone with a bit of intelligence, it is obvious that the tactic is to veer off the actual argument and take it in a ridiculous direction because you are unable to actually argue the point. If you can't make a legitimate argument, then stay out of it.
    Oh, so now you are changing your tune, after the fact? Let me answer for you, no the argument is not that Obama is the first president to use executive orders or signing statements. You're argument is being attacked because of your ridiculous over the top rhetoric and now you're trying to walk it back because you've humiliated yourself.

    Speaking of legitimate points, when do you plan to make one?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •