Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 403

Thread: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

  1. #171
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,030

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That is the truth. It has been said that we really have only one political party, but it has two wings. The Republican wing and the Democratic wing. There is a reason Wall Street Firms and Corporations donate to both parties. Firms like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup etc. You can bet it is out of civics, it is to ensure that regardless of who wins, the winner owes them. These folks aren't stupid, you can bet they get a good return for their cash. If they didn't they wouldn't be giving all that money to the political parties. They will get their political favors in return.
    it's funny because if you watch their political donations, they tend to often mirror the polls. They want to be able to tell the winner that they were REALLY for them all the time as indicated by how they gave them more money. You'll see surges in donations at the very end when a winner becomes more apparent.

    well... it's funny if it weren't so damn sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    How could you fundementally change a country without al least omitting parts of it? Havent his actions spooken louder than words?

    I'm just dumbfounded that people cant see parallels between this guy & dictators of the past
    Hell! I see parallels between this guy and presidents of the past. Partisans have got to STOP allowing their presidents to do end runs around our constitution!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #173
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That is the truth. It has been said that we really have only one political party, but it has two wings. The Republican wing and the Democratic wing. There is a reason Wall Street Firms and Corporations donate to both parties. Firms like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup etc. You can bet it is out of civics, it is to ensure that regardless of who wins, the winner owes them. These folks aren't stupid, you can bet they get a good return for their cash. If they didn't they wouldn't be giving all that money to the political parties. They will get their political favors in return.

    Most people are too interested in the R and the D, they refuse to open their eyes to see what is really happening. You are correct, if one took off their deep colored red or blue glasses and stuck cotton in their ears to drown out the slogans, the rhetoric and talking points and just watched how Bush and Obama governed, they would see the two govern quite similar. But that R and D blocks this from their view. They have bought into the propaganda the two parties espouse.

    So regardless of party, regardless whether it is Obama or Bush, it is business as usual. Taking care of those who gave them their money.
    Wow! I think I've seen more progress in this thread than any. Enough Americans ever come to this realisation and we may just be able to repair what's wrong.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #174
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    You made a cogent argument, except that it avoided the question and point.

    I get the liberal / democrat position, I used to be quite liberal, and well, you won't get the point that it's both parties that are working towards a common agenda put together by the sponsoring corporate interests.
    Um, you're conflating the influence that corporations peddle with campaign contributions with the desires of the voting public. If you'll notice, liberals strongly support a living wage...or at least a significantly higher minimum wage. This is something that corporate America does NOT want...and you'll find very, very few GOP politicians who support such a move.

    So...no. While we liberals have our faults, who was it that most strongly wanted to get rid of or at least water down the Consumer Finance Protection Act? Who is it that most strongly supports public and private unionization...and who wants to weaken or get rid of such unions?

    Okay? If you and I had been having this discussion ten or fifteen years ago, you'd have a stronger argument...but due to the polarization of the parties, the Democrats are becoming more liberal - and thus less corporatist - than before.

    I also never said that obama's crimes MIRRORED bushes crimes, which I'm well aware of, but now the hypocrites are supporting the same calibre of crimes from "their guy" and their party.
    With the possible exception of the NSA (and even that one's arguable), name even ONE of Obama's actions that even come close to the caliber of the crimes by the Bush 43 administration that I listed, beginning with his lying us into a major war on false pretenses.

    If you ACTUALLY supported bush, as you claim, then you are truly an exception rather than the rule.
    I said that I support and admire Bush 41 - not Dubya - and that I hold Reagan to be one of our five best presidents ever. I voted for both of them and don't regret doing so. The reason I say that about Reagan, btw, is because he won the Cold War, which threatened all of human civilization, without a single nuke being launched. He was the guy in charge at the critical point, he gets the credit. That alone should ensure his place among our greatest presidents, and that - along with the fact that he brought back a great deal of pride to America and helped us to escape the doldrums we'd been in since we lost the war in Vietnam - is about the only great thing he did. But it was truly a very great thing indeed.

    Bush 41 was also a very good president - though most of us probably didn't see that at the time. One of the hallmarks of a very good or great president is the ability to ignore the wishes of his own party...and that's what Bush 41 did when he raised taxes. Frankly, I give him more credit for the mid-90's economic boom than I do Clinton. That, and Bush was very, very smart for choosing not to continue on to Baghdad. I wish his son had listened to him.

    The study is really not that important, the results were pretty close regardless...
    It's not important to those who would not like its conclusions.

    I bet you could get similar results by the time Obama is done with the country.
    If you really got to know liberals, you'd know the gripes we have about Obama, too. Would you like for me to link to articles showing my dissatisfaction with Obama? I can do that. I can post another link if you like to an article where I stated that it may well be that while Reaganomics was disastrous for our economy, it was good for the world as a whole in that it effectively became "wealth redistribution" to many third-world nations.

    Anyway, this all sidetracks from the point. That both parties are owned and controlled by the same vested interests.
    And I gave concrete examples above how this cannot be the case.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  5. #175
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Yea! I hate it when a President wants "make sure our kids are getting the best education possible". And nothing pisses me off more than a President who wants to be "making sure that our businesses are getting the kind of support and help they need to grow and advance". And I'll be damned if I am going to sit idle when a president wants "to make sure that people are getting the skills that they need to get those jobs that our businesses are creating.”

    Unfortunately, the post above is a fair demonstration of the level of education and thought that most voters will bring to the process.


    Well, golly gee whillickers, if he says he's only gonna do good things, why shouldn't he be allowed to effectively toss our Constitution overboard?


    Democracy ensures we will be governed no better than we deserve.





    But you know what, it's okay. Because crap like this establishes a Precedent. The Republican President of 2017 should announce that in order to "create jobs" and "help our children learn" and "take care of our elderly" while "saving children from slavery", "stopping animal abuse", and "making everyone feel loved", he is unilaterally reforming the entitlements, applying anti-monopoly law to Unions, voiding Obamacare, dramatically reducing tax and regulatory complexity, getting rid of the Department of Education, and ending Agricultural Subsidies, the National Labor Relations Board, all tariffs, estate taxes, and the minimum wage. If Congress complains, he can simply declare them to be in recess, meaning that their complaints have no legal power.


    What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Grant powers to the Presidency beyond its' Constitutional scope, and you can get f-----d right back.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    it's funny because if you watch their political donations, they tend to often mirror the polls. They want to be able to tell the winner that they were REALLY for them all the time as indicated by how they gave them more money. You'll see surges in donations at the very end when a winner becomes more apparent.

    well... it's funny if it weren't so damn sad.
    Exactly, also the money flows into the incumbents from corporations, Wall Street, Lobbyist etc much more than the challengers. What is not well know is corporations gave far more to the Democrats from 2006 until around July of 2010. That was when it became clear the Republicans would have a banner year and all of a sudden the money began to flow into the Republican camp leaving a lot of the Democrats high and dry.

    According to ABC news to reinforce this during the Democrats reign, Obama raised and spent 750 in 2008, McCain only 368 million and that included federal matching funds. Romney kept it close enough to where the money was relative even in 2012, but even so Republican congressional candidates raised more money than the Democrats and in the senate races it was just the opposite. The reason was incumbents, which ever party has the most incumbents, they will get the most money. The reason is simple, incumbents usually win.

    But the bottom line is both parties owe their heart and soul to these moneyed folks. That is truly the sad part of it all.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Funny how you constantly whine about partisanship, then degrade Bush and defend Obama. Great job! Done with your hypocrisy?
    LOL you'll have to show where I have defended Obama being a good president. I even said he was a horrible president. So was Bush.

    No, the only thing I did was apply YOUR logic to Bush to show how idiotic your comments really are. Your partisan hackery comments have been shown for what they are. No, I haven't defended Obama and even have said several times he is a horrible president. Neither of them are a comparison to Hitler as you claim Obama is though.

    Nice try, you're dismissed for the idiotic hack comments you present.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Wow! I think I've seen more progress in this thread than any. Enough Americans ever come to this realisation and we may just be able to repair what's wrong.
    I have known this for quite awhile. But it took me stepping outside of the two major party influence to notice it. Until I started campaigning and working for Perot, I was just as bad a party hack as any here on this site. But being away from their influence and propaganda caused me to open my eyes.

    The trick to it is just to sit down and watch how the different presidents govern, not to listen to their rhetoric, speeches and slogans where they are always deriding the other party. There really isn't that much difference. George Wallace way back in 1968 had it right when he said, "There ain't a dimes worth of difference between the two major parties."

    Governing, there isn't. Now in rhetoric, they are polar opposites. But rhetoric isn't governance.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #179
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,030

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly, also the money flows into the incumbents from corporations, Wall Street, Lobbyist etc much more than the challengers. What is not well know is corporations gave far more to the Democrats from 2006 until around July of 2010. That was when it became clear the Republicans would have a banner year and all of a sudden the money began to flow into the Republican camp leaving a lot of the Democrats high and dry.

    According to ABC news to reinforce this during the Democrats reign, Obama raised and spent 750 in 2008, McCain only 368 million and that included federal matching funds. Romney kept it close enough to where the money was relative even in 2012, but even so Republican congressional candidates raised more money than the Democrats and in the senate races it was just the opposite. The reason was incumbents, which ever party has the most incumbents, they will get the most money. The reason is simple, incumbents usually win.

    But the bottom line is both parties owe their heart and soul to these moneyed folks. That is truly the sad part of it all.
    Well it has some to do with trying to ride the victory wave but it has a lot to do with who they think will be in the majority because majorites run the committees. Committee chairmen are of the majority party and the chairmen decide what is brought to the floor for a vote or not. To them, it's a waste of money to invest in a minority party that will make noise but not be able to front their propositions to the house floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Well it has some to do with trying to ride the victory wave but it has a lot to do with who they think will be in the majority because majorites run the committees. Committee chairmen are of the majority party and the chairmen decide what is brought to the floor for a vote or not. To them, it's a waste of money to invest in a minority party that will make noise but not be able to front their propositions to the house floor.
    Yep, throw in gerrymandering, don't you just love our fair election system?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •