Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 403

Thread: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Oh ya, who up there has the balls to start impeachment proceedings?

    We'll, it's the precedents set by bush (conservatives don't bad mouth their former guy ), that's allowed Obama to get away with as much as he is because the stupid hypocrites that we're opposing bush are now apologizing for Obama for doing worse than was done when they were fighting those same things.

    Too bad nobody in the country has any principles any longer. There's a reason the country is falling under the weight of its own corruption.
    You're right in one respect...folks who weren't up in arms over GWB using Signing Statements to skirt the law are now up in arms over the mere mention of President Obama using the Power of the Executive Branch to issue Executive Orders when Congress fails to act in the nation's best interest. It's mind boggling - hypocrisy at its worse - how folks with idealogical bents stay mum when it's their guy in office abusing power yet claiming "national security" to justify his actions (Republicans) but when it's the other guy in office (Democrat) who gives clear warning to Congress to "act in the best interest of the nation to bring about job growth and economic stimulation via the private secton or else" suddenly these same people get all up in a tizzy over the President of the United States using his Executive Power within the process of governance and the spirit and intent of the law. To illustrate what I mean and just how real and perhaps even necessary the Presidents Executive intervention may be, I've pulled these two post from this thread - one from a Conservative poster, the other from a Liberal poster. Both make the very point the President was trying to convey to the American people which pollsters already acknowledge - the Congress is marred in ideological gridlock. On the one hand, you have both parties fighting against each other. On the other hand, you have in-fighting within a particular party. And yet, folks here who are clear ideologues refused to accept what is reality - that such gridlock, partisanship and purposeful mission to hamstring a sitting President makes Congress very ineffective.

    Sidenote: I really wish folks would read, learn and understand "process" of government, recognize leadership when they see it despite what the talking heads and political pundits would have you believe and just start thinking for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, he didn't except in your world of make believe, assumption, and apparently the mutant power to read the future. In the real world, he stated he'd use an Executive Order. COULD he use an executive order to attempt to make laws and act unconstitutionally? Yes. Could he also use an executive order in a perfectly constitutional way that doesn't create a new law? Yes. Its really quite easy to see how it's interpreted that way because it'd be ACTUALLY READING WHAT HE SAID instead of reading it and then making assumptions and guesses as to what he actually meant or what he actually is going to do in the future. Shocking, I know.

    No, I demonstrated the exact same thing you did in your original post. Did I "quote" you, as you're so apt to point out over and over again worthlessly? No, I simply "explained what [you] were saying."
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I kind of get from listening to him that he is willing to use executive orders to get things done because Congress can't. Are you saying Congress isn't having issues passing some of the most basic things?

    And so did Reagan...not sure your point?
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #112
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,997

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    *Sigh*
    Once again, if the uppity black guy in the White House does just what all the white guys did before him did, well, that's TYRANNY!!!!!
    Sigh indeed.

    It's wrong to just assume what Obama is going to do is unconstitutional, because Executive Order's aren't inherently unconstitutional.

    Similarly...

    It's wrong to assume that everyone is upset with Obama simply because he's doing the same thing as "the white guys did before him", because every Executive Order is not inherently exactly the same thing.

    I can shoot a firearm. Someone else can shoot a firearm. We're both shooting firearms. However, if I'm firing at a target and the other person is firing at an innocent person, there's legitimate reasons why someone may be upset at him but not me even though he's doing the same thing "I did" in terms of shooting a firearm.

    Obama is doing executive orders, which is something other Presidents have done...that's true. However, the SPECIFIC things he's doing in executive orders can be, and in some cases are, different than what other Presidents have done and thus a reasonable argument can be made for someone being upset with him but not upset at another president....especially ones from 40+ years ago where the individual may not have even been alive.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,997

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You're right in one respect...folks who weren't up in arms over GWB using Signing Statements to skirt the law are now up in arms over the mere mention of President Obama using the Power of the Executive Branch to issue Executive Orders when Congress fails to act in the nation's best interest. It's mind boggling - hypocrisy at its worse - how folks with idealogical bents stay mum when it's their guy in office abusing power yet claiming "national security" to justify his actions (Republicans) but when it's the other guy in office (Democrat) who gives clear warning to Congress to "act in the best interest of the nation to bring about job growth and economic stimulation via the private secton or else" suddenly these same people get all up in a tizzy over the President of the United States using his Executive Power within the process of governance and the spirit and intent of the law. To illustrate what I mean and just how real and perhaps even necessary the Presidents Executive intervention may be, I've pulled these two post from this thread - one from a Conservative poster, the other from a Liberal poster. Both make the very point the President was trying to convey to the American people which pollsters already acknowledge - the Congress is marred in ideological gridlock. On the one hand, you have both parties fighting against each other. On the other hand, you have in-fighting within a particular party. And yet, folks here who are clear ideologues refused to accept what is reality - that such gridlock, partisanship and purposeful mission to hamstring a sitting President makes Congress very ineffective.

    Sidenote: I really wish folks would read, learn and understand "process" of government, recognize leadership when they see it despite what the talking heads and political pundits would have you believe and just start thinking for themselves.
    WOW that is some massively oblivious hypocrisy there. To write that whole long rant bitching and moaning about hypocrisy, while ignoring RIGHT OFF THE BAT, your own hypocrisy as you make it out to be something only one side is currently engaged in doing. As if the inverse isn't true, and there weren't plenty of democrats having a cow about it under Bush but don't vocalize anything when it's Obama doing it. The reality is BOTH sides of the political aisle routinely will get upset about something vocally when it's the other side, and will remain quiet about it or make excuses when it's their side...it's a natural occurence of tribalism.

  4. #114
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    President Obama through 5 years: 166 executive orders
    President Bush through 5 years: 197 executive orders

    Looks like Bush went around Congress too.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,997

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I've pulled these two post from this thread - one from a Conservative poster, the other from a Liberal poster. Both make the very point the President was trying to convey to the American people which pollsters already acknowledge - the Congress is marred in ideological gridlock. On the one hand, you have both parties fighting against each other. On the other hand, you have in-fighting within a particular party. And yet, folks here who are clear ideologues refused to accept what is reality - that such gridlock, partisanship and purposeful mission to hamstring a sitting President makes Congress very ineffective.

    Sidenote: I really wish folks would read, learn and understand "process" of government, recognize leadership when they see it despite what the talking heads and political pundits would have you believe and just start thinking for themselves.
    Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I've suggested no such thing. It is not CONGRESS solely engaging in gridlock, but rather the gridlock as it currently exists is a symptom of both parties and both the legislative and executive branches of the government. What more, while my post acknowledged that what the President stated is not INHERENTLY unconstitutional or the creation of a law, in no way shape or form was I suggesting that he was in the right or legitimate in his reasoning as to what his stated plan of action was. I hold the President as accountable for his actions and for the legislative situation we're in as I do congress, as he is not a helpless passenger in this whole ordeal.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    No, your comment that somehow Obama is the same as Hitler is lame. You want to Godwin a thread, go elswhere.
    It is not lame at all, when will liberals learn not all people agree with them?

  7. #117
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sigh indeed.

    It's wrong to just assume what Obama is going to do is unconstitutional, because Executive Order's aren't inherently unconstitutional.

    Similarly...

    It's wrong to assume that everyone is upset with Obama simply because he's doing the same thing as "the white guys did before him", because every Executive Order is not inherently exactly the same thing.

    I can shoot a firearm. Someone else can shoot a firearm. We're both shooting firearms. However, if I'm firing at a target and the other person is firing at an innocent person, there's legitimate reasons why someone may be upset at him but not me even though he's doing the same thing "I did" in terms of shooting a firearm.

    Obama is doing executive orders, which is something other Presidents have done...that's true. However, the SPECIFIC things he's doing in executive orders can be, and in some cases are, different than what other Presidents have done and thus a reasonable argument can be made for someone being upset with him but not upset at another president....especially ones from 40+ years ago where the individual may not have even been alive.
    Like, specifically what?
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #118
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I've suggested no such thing. It is not CONGRESS solely engaging in gridlock, but rather the gridlock as it currently exists is a symptom of both parties and both the legislative and executive branches of the government. What more, while my post acknowledged that what the President stated is not INHERENTLY unconstitutional or the creation of a law, in no way shape or form was I suggesting that he was in the right or legitimate in his reasoning as to what his stated plan of action was. I hold the President as accountable for his actions and for the legislative situation we're in as I do congress, as he is not a helpless passenger in this whole ordeal.
    Yeah, it's everyone's fault that the Republicans have been filibustering at much more than a record pace...and when it comes to blocking nominees:

    politifact-photos-New_filibuster_graphic.jpg

    And in the debt ceiling battle, when Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner negotiated the sequester with Obama and came out of the negotiation bragging that "I got 98% of what we wanted" - whereupon he was immediately castigated for negotiating at all with Obama - well, THAT was all Democratic obstructionism too, hm?

    The instances go on and on - to say it's the fault of both parties, of saying "well, they're just as bad as we are", is nothing more than a false equivalence.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #119
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    President Obama through 5 years: 166 executive orders
    President Bush through 5 years: 197 executive orders

    Looks like Bush went around Congress too.
    Ah, so it's the number of executive orders that matters to you, not the content.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #120
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Obama On Executive Actions: ‘I’ve Got A Pen And I’ve Got A Phone’

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Ah, so it's the number of executive orders that matters to you, not the content.
    I'm simply pointing out if Obama is being accused of circumventing Congress, it is only fair to let people know his predecessor did so as well at a higher rate.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •