Page 63 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #621
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,179

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, but as pointed out she went dead while the baby was 14 weeks. She shouldn't be used as an incubator just because she is unable to give any type of consent. Also, there is no telling what the lack of oxygen has done to the fetus in terms of mental development and won't be seen for probably years to come.

    No, this isn't science keeping a dead woman alive as an incubator, this is just wrong. Now if science was able to remove the fetus from her and they could develop on their on, that's fine. But this is just plain wrong IMO.
    To be clear - is it wrong in your mind because the husband and mother want it to end? Would it be right if the husband and mother were demanding the hospital keep the woman's body functioning because her unborn child is still alive? Why is this "just plain wrong"?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #622
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    To be clear - is it wrong in your mind because the husband and mother want it to end? Would it be right if the husband and mother were demanding the hospital keep the woman's body functioning because her unborn child is still alive? Why is this "just plain wrong"?
    I think it is wrong because the acting legal consent is with the husband and the hospital is not acting in accordance with that. If the woman had a living will saying otherwise, I would completely support that but as she does not the legal consent should pass to the husband.

    My wife and I have living wills exactly for this type of situation should it occur.

  3. #623
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, I am assuming that the person would be kept alive via tube feeding, drugs to regulate blood pressure, and hormonal drugs as well, in which case, the body could be kept alive for a relatively long time. As for the woman that this thread is about, she isn't brain-dead from what I understand.
    Can you point to where you have seen that she is not brain dead? Most reports I have seen clearly state that she is.

    http://www.krdo.com/news/lawyers-rec...x/-/index.html

    "We have recently received Marlise Munoz's medical records, and can now confirm that Mrs. Munoz is clinically brain dead, and therefore deceased under Texas law," attorneys Jessica Janicek and Heather King said in an e-mail.
    Last edited by year2late; 01-21-14 at 10:38 AM.

  4. #624
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sure you're being flip, that's why you make such a laughable suggestion. As for a woman "sensing" she's pregnant, that may very well be true, but how many women tell their husbands or others that they sense they're pregnant at 21 days? Remember, the woman is dead so what she "sensed" even an hour ago isn't going to be readily available to those treating her.

    I'll turn your own question back on you - at 8 months pregnant, 7 months, 6 months, when do you just let the mother and her unborn child both die because the husband/father mother/grandmother want to get on with grieving? You're the one sitting in judgement and passing a death sentence on a developing human life, so you tell us your criteria for deeming a life worth saving.
    You do what has been done for decades in cases of maternal demise and advanced pregnancy. Do a C-section. A crash C-section can be done in MINUTES.

    The pregnancy of Marlise was early. It also was subject to all the medications and loss of oxygen (etc) as she was. Don't you see a distinct and clear difference?

  5. #625
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, but as pointed out she went dead while the baby was 14 weeks. She shouldn't be used as an incubator just because she is unable to give any type of consent. Also, there is no telling what the lack of oxygen has done to the fetus in terms of mental development and won't be seen for probably years to come.

    No, this isn't science keeping a dead woman alive as an incubator, this is just wrong. Now if science was able to remove the fetus from her and they could develop on their on, that's fine. But this is just plain wrong IMO.
    They aren't keeping a dead woman alive, she's dead. Gone and out and no longer human. The baby on the other hand is up and coming and human. If the choice is between an inanimate object and a human, I see no contention. If we had the tech to remove the kid and use other tools to keep it alive, then OK, but otherwise it doesn't seem like this huge moral dilemma some are making it out to be.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #626
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think it is wrong because the acting legal consent is with the husband and the hospital is not acting in accordance with that. If the woman had a living will saying otherwise, I would completely support that but as she does not the legal consent should pass to the husband.

    My wife and I have living wills exactly for this type of situation should it occur.
    The legal consent lies with the hospital, by law, legally because of the pregnancy. 34 other states have very similar laws.

  7. #627
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think it is wrong because the acting legal consent is with the husband and the hospital is not acting in accordance with that. If the woman had a living will saying otherwise, I would completely support that but as she does not the legal consent should pass to the husband.

    My wife and I have living wills exactly for this type of situation should it occur.
    But in Texas it would not matter. If your wife was pregnant when incapacitated, the pregnancy must be maintained against your will unless there was a clear stipulation about her being pregnant. How many young people have living wills let alone one with such a stipulation?

  8. #628
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    But in Texas it would not matter. If your wife was pregnant when incapacitated, the pregnancy must be maintained against your will unless there was a clear stipulation about her being pregnant. How many young people have living wills let alone one with such a stipulation?
    35 states have similar laws.

  9. #629
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The legal consent lies with the hospital, by law, legally because of the pregnancy. 34 other states have very similar laws.
    How many hospitals in those states would keep a BRAIN DEAD patient at 14 weeks gestation on mechanical ventilation (etc) against the will of the husband?
    Last edited by year2late; 01-21-14 at 11:10 AM.

  10. #630
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    How many hospitals in those states would keep a BRAIN DEAD patient at 14 weeks gestation alive against the will of next of the husband?
    Possibly 35, by law.

Page 63 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •