Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #391
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    btw… I like how you quoted the pope on how he critisized a culture of death, and then went on to say you aren't really pro life and you don't value life in all situations. Why quote the pope then? Cause it sounded good? You don't promote a true culture of life yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Not sure where you got any of that, but it was a pretty good rant. Obviously, my suggestion to keep emotion out of the discussion fell on deaf ears.

    Actually, I'm pro-choice in all things - as I said in my comments, I support people making choices for themselves and their own lives. While I'm pro-choice, that doesn't mean I agree with choices people make - some of them, in my view, are terrible choices, but they have the right to screw up their own lives. My support for assisted suicide reflects that. You're "blown away" by that, yet I'm "blown away" by the fact you say you don't support assisted suicide but you support a man arbitrarily ending the life of his unborn child before that child even has a chance to seek survival. So, in your world, it's bad to kill yourself, but okay to kill the defenceless and the weakest among us.

    As for me being Canadian, that's another irrelevancy since this issue isn't one of nations. It's one of humanity. You can dismiss my views because I'm Canadian - that, again, is a choice you are entitled to - you're not entitled to decide what I will or won't have an opinion about. Again, that's my "pro-chioce" view - you choose for yourself, not for others.

  2. #392
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,225

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Would she have to be on life support while being prepped, waiting, and during the operation?

    If so, wouldn't that be against her supposed wishes? Do supposed wishes have a grace period where they can be ignored and after that enforced?
    Most hospitals allow brain dead patients to remain on life support for a short period of time as an "adjustment period"

    And for the record, a crash C-section can happen within minutes.

  3. #393
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,137

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Yes, there are bad things that can happen to a kid. I sure hope none of them happen to the kid. We don't know if any of them have.

    All we know that the kid has a normal heartbeat and that no miscarriage has occurred, as it often does when things go egregiously wrong with growth and development.
    I like the fact that you are willing to take the risk. You are quite willing to pass the expense of the life support onto this grieving family. As if that was not bad enough, you have a solution. You have determined that this family, who lost a mother, lost her income, and are racked with grief over this loss, - should be saddled with the cost of keeping oxygen pumping through her dead body and should be saddled with the cost of raising a child with any number of life-long expenses. Why? Well for one, you get to keep your personal morals intatct and it costs you nothing.

    When this family goes on welfare, because the Father cannot afford to work and pay for the care required, you will line up and point out that here we have another welfare bum, living off my hard earned taxes.

    I wish people would use intellect and look at situations on a case ny case basis. What we have here is people who long ago decided what their position would be. People who refuse to use logic or intellect in deciding situations on a case by case basis. No, no - we don't need to know the facts, we don't need to know the situations of our fellow human beings.

    All we need to know is that we decided long ago and that there is no possible situation in which my preconcieved notions can be challenged.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  4. #394
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,137

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It makes perfect sense to keep a brain dead woman alive to save the life of the child. Why have 2 people die instead of just one?
    I agree. WTF does God know about death. We are human - we are supreme - we know, even if nature does not.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  5. #395
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,137

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    my bad. however, once the mother is removed from life support, the fetus would die rather quickly from oxygen deprivation.
    Gosh, that sounds horrible, almost natural. Surely we can intervene and pump oxygen into the lifeless mother. That way her son can come and see her dead body being kept fresh, through the miracle of science, for the next number of months.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  6. #396
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,577

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Because it's a moot point. It doesn't matter. Texas state law would supersede it even if it existed. In most other cases, a verbal contract is enough. Her family and husband are all on the same side, so this isn't even comparable to the Teri Shivo case.
    A verbal contract is not enough to justify taking a life. And if you'll look back, I, too, said that this was nothing like the Teri Schaivo case. Nothing.

  7. #397
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I wouldn't call it's birth a miracle anymore than a test tube growing a baby. I honestly think it is sick that people see nothing wrong with hooking up dead, pregnant women to machines so they can finish producing children. Technology makes it possible, but it just doesn't seem right to me.
    It's funny how you quote me saying "cerebral palsy isn't a death sentence" to say that you think I'm sick for not wanting the kid to just die.

    Well, I'll say it again, any of these possible disorders mentioned thus far by people that just want the kid dead, what you are all really telling us is that you think anyone with any of these disorders is better off dead and should have been killed.

    THAT is sick.

  8. #398
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    I like the fact that you are willing to take the risk.
    Every kid is risk. Every day of every life is risk.

    You are quite willing to pass the expense of the life support onto this grieving family.
    I'm not passing anything - this is care for his kid. I'd ask who you think should pay for it, but I find that I just don't care what other illogical proposal you might have.

    should be saddled with the cost of raising a child with any number of life-long expenses
    Or none of the above. You have no evidence of any such thing and on the basis of your speculation you want the kid to die.

    I wish people would use intellect and look at situations on a case by case basis.
    I have. In this case, there is no logical reason to stop life support whereas typically you would stop it as soon as brain death occurs. Case by case, this is the most rational and most ethical thing to do.

  9. #399
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    BS they don't see unborn life above that of women's lives.
    Yes, you accurately preceded your sentiment with an accurate descriptor - BS. That statement was right out of a bull's backquarters.

    Triage. You save the patient you can save. There is no above or below, all are created equal.

    One patient is dead and there ain't nothing to be done for her. Sad, but true. Her kid is not - we can and we are saving his or her life.

  10. #400
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    btw… I like how you quoted the pope on how he critisized a culture of death, and then went on to say you aren't really pro life and you don't value life in all situations. Why quote the pope then? Cause it sounded good? You don't promote a true culture of life yourself.
    I quoted the Pope because he made a good point and made sense - I quote you here, because you don't.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •