Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #381
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,915

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I just don't get it. As a father, I would want to give my unborn child every opportunity to survive.
    But those of us who haven't been in this husband's position shouldn't judge. He's in deep grief and may not be thinking clearly. He may have been told by physicians with whom he has worked that the baby is damaged, and he surely respects their opinions.

    I've read that Mr. Munoz has "told" his wife that their son is growing and is fine, and I am so sorry that he appears to have given up on his unborn baby. The reason I reposted the link to the LA Times article is because the study it discusses is incomplete--some of the surviving babies have "disappeared." There is no way to know for sure if something is wrong, no way to offer reliable "odds."

    Where there is life, there is always hope, and this unborn baby is alive and has a normal heartbeat. This is why the hospital is confident it's following state law: There is still a live patient.

  2. #382
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Rush?

    She has been on the ventalitor for almost 2 months against her wishes, her husbands wishes, and her parents wishes.

    Her family wants to be able to give her and fetus peace and hold a memorial service for them.

    It must be pure agony knowing she is dead and seeing hooked to machines every day ...and this may very well go on another 3 to 4 months if the hospital and state of Texas gets their way.

    All for a possibly that the fetus might survive, be born and actually survive more than a few hours or days.

    The odds are highly against that.
    Even if I had faith in your ability to make such a determination - and I assuredly do not - to hell with your "odds."

    We know the mom is dead... we have no such information about the kid.

    The kid's gonna have a chance.

    If the kid dies you can have your celebratory "I told you so" and take cold comfort in your pessimism being warranted.

  3. #383
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    She really isn't on life support, is she? She is dead.
    She is on life support. What else would you call it?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    This experiment is keeping her organs and the rest of her body from decaying, as would normally happen to a dead person. This experiment is keeping her loved ones from grieving and trying to get on with their lives.
    What experiment are you talking about. No one is experimenting with anything here. Healthy babies have been delivered after the mother was declared brain-dead and kept on life support before. This isn't something where they're just saying "eh, no one has ever done this before, let's try it and see what happens".

    Baby Born To Brain-Dead Mother 3 Months After Woman's Declared Death
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #384
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    When you're making an appeal to the Texas state law, then it's fair to dismiss your views because you are from Canada. Appealing to authority in a foreign laws in a state is pretty funny.

    Also, you don't comprehend that I see your point. I see both sides. The women was hooked up on life support, turning it off will kill the baby. I don't like that. But I also realize that the life support system needs to be turned off, per her wish. You think once the baby is born, everything is going to change, and it suddenly won't matter to the father and husband that his wife was degraded and stripped of making her end of life decisions, and now he will have to end her existence.

    That isn't going to change. My argument is she should have never been hooked up to machines to begin with.




    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Not sure where you got any of that, but it was a pretty good rant. Obviously, my suggestion to keep emotion out of the discussion fell on deaf ears.

    Actually, I'm pro-choice in all things - as I said in my comments, I support people making choices for themselves and their own lives. While I'm pro-choice, that doesn't mean I agree with choices people make - some of them, in my view, are terrible choices, but they have the right to screw up their own lives. My support for assisted suicide reflects that. You're "blown away" by that, yet I'm "blown away" by the fact you say you don't support assisted suicide but you support a man arbitrarily ending the life of his unborn child before that child even has a chance to seek survival. So, in your world, it's bad to kill yourself, but okay to kill the defenceless and the weakest among us.

    As for me being Canadian, that's another irrelevancy since this issue isn't one of nations. It's one of humanity. You can dismiss my views because I'm Canadian - that, again, is a choice you are entitled to - you're not entitled to decide what I will or won't have an opinion about. Again, that's my "pro-chioce" view - you choose for yourself, not for others.

  5. #385
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    This is about saving an unborn baby at all costs, and totally ignoring the female in the process… Putting women through hell and pushing us to the brink of death, and even killing us to possibly save an unborn life is pretty awful, but this has far surpassed that point. This woman is literally dead, and the majority of lifers here think her body should be hooked up to machines to finish the gestative process despite her end of life wishes. She is dead, she has no feelings, so they see nothing degrading about this.

    BS they don't see unborn life above that of women's lives.


    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    She really isn't on life support, is she? She is dead. This experiment is keeping her organs and the rest of her body from decaying, as would normally happen to a dead person. This experiment is keeping her loved ones from grieving and trying to get on with their lives. This has got to be the most intrusive and invasive a government can get into the lives of it's citizens.

    This medical experiment of using a corpse as an incubator is about as gruesome as it gets. Have they lab tested this with other dead mammals? I am sure the answer to that question is no. Who would fund such a rupugnent experiment? What type of person would even come up with the idea.

    Have we as a society lost all sense of human dignity?

  6. #386
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Wonder why everyone seems to be having such a problem with this? You can say it a million times, and it still seems to not stick.
    Because it's a moot point. It doesn't matter. Texas state law would supersede it even if it existed. In most other cases, a verbal contract is enough. Her family and husband are all on the same side, so this isn't even comparable to the Teri Shivo case.

  7. #387
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    "We want to let them rest." and "Let them be in peace."

    That reminds me of my mom and the things she has said working in the ER, and the things she has done and seen done to save lives at all costs. One doctor works with her and boasts that nobody dies on his watch, and it's true…. because he puts their bodies through hell he will break people's ribs with daily rounds of CPR, restart their hearts multiple times with defibrillators, put them on machines, vent them twenty times before he leaves for the day, etc.

    My mom found his work to be disgusting, degrading, and even torturous to the patients, so she gave the same patients comfort and if they died on her shift, she gave the peace and respected God's plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I agree.

    The family wants to be able to say good bye and to let them rest in peace.

    from this article:


    Texas denies pregnant woman's grieving family the right to say goodbye | Dallas Morning News

  8. #388
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Okay, let's say - just for the sake of argument - that we all knew for a fact that the kid now has cerebral palsy.

    So what? Cerebral palsy isn't a death sentence.
    I wouldn't call it's birth a miracle anymore than a test tube growing a baby. I honestly think it is sick that people see nothing wrong with hooking up dead, pregnant women to machines so they can finish producing children. Technology makes it possible, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

  9. #389
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    die with dignity. what a ****ing joke. I have seen more than my fair share of death and I can tell you that there is no such thing as dying with dignity. you simply die.....
    So you don't care to be hooked up to a life support system to prevent your dead body decaying and left to crap on yourself until maggots eat you away?

  10. #390
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,510

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so where's the problem? if the fetus is going to miscarry in a couple of weeks anyway, why rush it?
    If the women were miscarrying, then they would you support hooking her up to machines? You have to be trolling.

Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •