Page 31 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #301
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,690

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Well, and when the kid lives he'd obviously be stripped of his parental rights. Which is exactly how a small government doesn't intrude on people's lives.
    I wouldn't suggest you continue with that line of argument if you support current abortion law. It can only hurt your cause. Once you accept that you can be a parent to an unborn baby you have to accept that there is a baby to be a parent of, rather than a future baby.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #302
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry, that wasn't my point. I was simply referring to the facts, as JayDubya pointed out, that there was no written directive/order from the wife/mother in place, simply the "say so" of the husband and secondly, according to Texas law, even if there was a written directive, it has no force in law if there's a pregnancy involved. So what the husband is feeling or wants at the time is simply irrelevant emotion, likely driven by grief, but the law requires that the developing child be saved, if possible.

    You can repeat as much as you want what you presume to be "her wishes", but there's nothing to verify what the husband is saying. And based on the fact that both the wife and husband were/are EMS professionals, knowing hospital procedures, if it was something they felt strongly about they would have it in writing.
    I don't presume to know anything. That is what the husband is doing and that is his job. I also realize why the husband is in the situation he is, and I understand the ramifications of the law. You're doing nothing more than playing Captain Obvious above.

    Yes, I understand the situation.

    Yes, I realize having a written directive is a catch 22, because that wouldn't force the state of Texas to turn off life support.

    Yes, I understand this is happening because of the law.


    We can argue, the pros and cons of the state law, but emotions, religion, wishes, etc. are all irrelevant nonsense at this point.
    Ethics and opinions are not irrelevant at this point… well, maybe to you because you live in Canada, and this has nothing to do with Canadian laws or Canadian legal precedent. The husband is suing the hospital, which is in America and regards American laws.

    If you are not interested in doing nothing other than playing Cap. Obvious and pointing out why things are the way they are, then why are you here?



    For what it's worth, I'm a strong proponent of such "end of life" directives and I also strongly support "assisted suicide" or whatever name they give it these days. But these are all issues related to an individual choosing their own path - those decisions should not impose a death sentence on another human being even if that other human being is only in the early stages of development.
    You're a strong proponent of "end of life directives," what does that mean? You think people should prolong death as a long as possible, and being alive outweighs a slow, painful death and living on life support? Just keep the heart beating as long as possible... screw death?

    See, you're pro life and support assisted suicide? That blows me away. You look at death as a personal choice to be respected, and then you quote the pope in saying we have a culture that doesn't respect life. I am personally against assisted suicide. I don't support people in killing themselves and I wouldn't ever kill myself, because I am morally opposed to it. But yet, I realize that I am not in their position and pain. I can't really support it morally, legally is another matter. I wouldn't respect my mom doing something like that if she were old and in pain. I would fight her, and I would also respect her wishes in not wanting life support.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It makes perfect sense to keep a brain dead woman alive to save the life of the child. Why have 2 people die instead of just one?
    Imposing your religious beliefs on others again? How non-Christian Fundamentalist of you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #304
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Imposing your religious beliefs on others again?
    Religious beliefs are the same as political beliefs, you just think imposing your preferred (political) beliefs is more moral than a person imposing their preferred (religious) beliefs.

  5. #305
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Imposing your religious beliefs on others again? How non-Christian Fundamentalist of you.
    While digsbe in general does want to impose his religion on other people, that's not what he's doing right now. I'm an atheist and I see it the same way.

    The mother is already dead, and that is a horrible tragedy. But why add the baby to the body count? If he has even a 1 in 100 chance he should deserve the right to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #306
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't presume to know anything. That is what the husband is doing and that is his job. I also realize why the husband is in the situation he is, and I understand the ramifications of the law. You're doing nothing more than playing Captain Obvious above.

    Yes, I understand the situation.

    Yes, I realize having a written directive is a catch 22, because that wouldn't force the state of Texas to turn off life support.

    Yes, I understand this is happening because of the law.




    Ethics and opinions are not irrelevant at this point… well, maybe to you because you live in Canada, and this has nothing to do with Canadian laws or Canadian legal precedent. The husband is suing the hospital, which is in America and regards American laws.

    If you are not interested in doing nothing other than playing Cap. Obvious and pointing out why things are the way they are, then why are you here?





    You're a strong proponent of "end of life directives," what does that mean? You think people should prolong death as a long as possible, and being alive outweighs a slow, painful death and living on life support? Just keep the heart beating as long as possible... screw death?

    See, you're pro life and support assisted suicide? That blows me away. You look at death as a personal choice to be respected, and then you quote the pope in saying we have a culture that doesn't respect life. I am personally against assisted suicide. I don't support people in killing themselves and I wouldn't ever kill myself, because I am morally opposed to it. But yet, I realize that I am not in their position and pain. I can't really support it morally, legally is another matter. I wouldn't respect my mom doing something like that if she were old and in pain. I would fight her, and I would also respect her wishes in not wanting life support.
    Not sure where you got any of that, but it was a pretty good rant. Obviously, my suggestion to keep emotion out of the discussion fell on deaf ears.

    Actually, I'm pro-choice in all things - as I said in my comments, I support people making choices for themselves and their own lives. While I'm pro-choice, that doesn't mean I agree with choices people make - some of them, in my view, are terrible choices, but they have the right to screw up their own lives. My support for assisted suicide reflects that. You're "blown away" by that, yet I'm "blown away" by the fact you say you don't support assisted suicide but you support a man arbitrarily ending the life of his unborn child before that child even has a chance to seek survival. So, in your world, it's bad to kill yourself, but okay to kill the defenceless and the weakest among us.

    As for me being Canadian, that's another irrelevancy since this issue isn't one of nations. It's one of humanity. You can dismiss my views because I'm Canadian - that, again, is a choice you are entitled to - you're not entitled to decide what I will or won't have an opinion about. Again, that's my "pro-chioce" view - you choose for yourself, not for others.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #307
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,257

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    This is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. A freaking zombie incubating a fetus that could be severely damaged already. Reality really is stranger than fiction... I sincerely hope for a miracle and that the baby will be okay. The odds are so not good, tho...
    Sounds like a sitcom "My Mother, The Corpse".

    I cannot fathom how her wishes and the wishes of her husband can be overridden. Disgusting.

  8. #308
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Yes, such bloodlust as you are displaying is disgusting.

  9. #309
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Religious beliefs are the same as political beliefs, you just think imposing your preferred (political) beliefs is more moral than a person imposing their preferred (religious) beliefs.
    Lol, not it isn't. Not everyone has religious beliefs. Everyone has political beliefs. Now try arguing that not having religious beliefs is a religious belief. I love that nonsense.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Simply monstrous.Again, it would be against the law for them to remove life support and kill the kid. They don't have to be pro-life to give a damn about the law, but it certainly helps.
    You play CON games. A 20 week old fetus is NOT a kid. You seem unwilling to admit what the law really is and substitute a distorted version to suit your purpose.

Page 31 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •