Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #201
    Student sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mpls., MN
    Last Seen
    07-19-14 @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    162

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I'd bet money she'd want to remain on life support while the baby developed enough to live outside the womb.
    I'd bet money her husband is more likely to know what she'd want than a random poster on the internet.
    “When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.”

    ~ Jonathan Swift

  2. #202
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    It is freaky. I know babies bond with and connect to the mother in the womb. They grow to recognize her voice.

    I would think that a healthy cognitive and emotional development of the baby would need a living mother. It seems like this could create risk of learning disabilities and mental illnesses...



    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    This is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. A freaking zombie incubating a fetus that could be severely damaged already. Reality really is stranger than fiction... I sincerely hope for a miracle and that the baby will be okay. The odds are so not good, tho...

  3. #203
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    I agree. This is messed up. I think pregnant women should make this decision, not the hospital and government. We don't even understand what type of risks and outcomes this potentially means for an unborn baby.


    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    If that is her husband's wish then it should be respected.

    It wasn't that long ago that if a pregnant woman died, that was it for the fetus (99 times out of 100 anyway). That's the natural order of things. Keeping her alive here and now is what's really against natural law.

  4. #204
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    i agree there are many concerns

    but i simply cant see how RvW is ignored along with the woman rights, HUSBANDS rights and family wishes. Theres no logic that will ever make sense to do that.

    the mom is unable, the law is RvW it "should" be the husbands decision and thats that.

    the texas law should never have existed and im glad its being challenged
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #205
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    You're taking the position that the baby would want to develope inside of the woman's dead body, and that is ridiculous. This man knew his wife's wish. She didn't want to be put on life support, and the hospital did it anyway.

    This guy didn't want to be in the position of "pulling the plug," which would directly cause the death of his wife. He and his wife thought it was best to die naturally. Do you totally lack empathy and understanding of that fact?


    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That's fair - but let's say, however, in an abstract and admittedly crazy possibility, that a set of conjoined twins had differing views on life-support. Perhaps one had a serious problem or accident, was in a coma or brain dead and had given a directive not to put on life support - but the other twin's life depended upon life support being applied until such time as he/she could be medically treated and able to survive on his/her own. Should both have to die because one didn't want life support?

  6. #206
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,936

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Terrible situation to be in.

    Going forward, all future individual DNR Directives should have two options..

    1. If it is known that i am pregnant, this document has no effect during the pregnancy.

    or

    2. If it is known that i am pregnant, this document remains in effect.

    Then there can be no doubt as to the individuals intentions.

  7. #207
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    You're taking the position that the baby would want to develope inside of the woman's dead body, and that is ridiculous. This man knew his wife's wish. She didn't want to be put on life support, and the hospital did it anyway.

    This guy didn't want to be in the position of "pulling the plug," which would directly cause the death of his wife. He and his wife thought it was best to die naturally. Do you totally lack empathy and understanding of that fact?
    Having empathy for a grieving husband takes a back seat in my world to medical efforts that could possibly save another life. Once the husband is holding his new born child in his arms and sees his dead wife's eyes or nose in the child, then we can talk about empathy and understanding the facts at that moment.

    Pope Francis is right about one thing - we've become a society that too readily views life as disposable. And before you get on your high horse and rail about religion, I'm not the slightest bit religious, so save it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #208
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Having empathy for a grieving husband takes a back seat in my world to medical efforts that could possibly save another life. Once the husband is holding his new born child in his arms and sees his dead wife's eyes or nose in the child, then we can talk about empathy and understanding the facts at that moment.

    Pope Francis is right about one thing - we've become a society that too readily views life as disposable. And before you get on your high horse and rail about religion, I'm not the slightest bit religious, so save it.
    I've agreed with you pretty much through this entire thread. The mother is dead, so it is completely irrelevant what she wants. We have an obligation to try to save as many lives as we can, and if there's any chance whatsoever of this kid making it through, it should be done. I'd much rather have a 1 in 100 shot at life than no shot at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #209
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I think the issue is that she didn't want life support, but the hospital put her on life support anyway. Letting a family member died naturally is a little different than turning off the life support system.

    My understanding is that she's not even 4 months pregnant, so she's going to be on this life support system for a really long time.

    And I think the husband should sue if the hospital actually expects him to pay the bill.
    It's his kid's medical expenses, and the hospital is not legally allowed to do anything but what they are doing.

    She's already dead, and turning off the ventilator needs to happen, yes... but in this case, that would also be a frivolous and needless loss of life for one of the two patients.

    Take the mom out of the hospital now and you'd just be suffocating and / or starving a helpless kid.


    P.S. I don't know to what extent this matters to the various people here, but apparently from local news affiliates (and yeah, this case is local for me), there was no DNR or any such document in place. Mr. Munoz is simply saying to hospital staff that he and Mrs. Munoz had talked about getting one.

    This situation now makes a bit more sense. You don't have that document in place, the hospital doesn't know. If the hospital doesn't know, they're going to bloody well intubate a 33 year old pregnant woman and assume she wants her life and her baby's life saved if at all possible.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 01-16-14 at 07:19 AM.

  10. #210
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,689

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    It's his kid's medical expenses, and the hospital is not legally allowed to do anything but what they are doing.

    She's already dead, and turning off the ventilator needs to happen, yes... but in this case, that would also be a frivolous and needless loss of life for one of the two patients.

    Take the mom out of the hospital now and you'd just be suffocating and / or starving a helpless kid.


    P.S. I don't know to what extent this matters to the various people here, but apparently from local news affiliates (and yeah, this case is local for me), there was no DNR or any such document in place. Mr. Munoz is simply saying to hospital staff that he and Mrs. Munoz had talked about getting one.
    This situation now makes a bit more sense. You don't have that document in place, the hospital doesn't know. If the hospital doesn't know, they're going to bloody well intubate a 33 year old pregnant woman and assume she wants her life and her baby's life saved if at all possible.
    Interesting. I thought that it was in place.

Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •