Page 15 of 87 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #141
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,630

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Did she want to be taken off life support while pregnant?
    Did she say she didn't?

    Fact is her wishes are quite clear and trying to ask questions now is pointless and not a factor.

    She made a simple, blanket statement with no exceptions- THAT is the guideline.

    You are free to make a laundry list of exceptions in your notification, but you can't in hers.

  2. #142
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    I respect advance directives and patient autonomy...

    It's just I can't see any validity in applying it when there are two patients and one has no such documentation. Are we simply to assume the kid wants to die, despite our ability to save him or her?

  3. #143
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Fact is her wishes are quite clear and trying to ask questions now is pointless and not a factor.
    Are they actually clear, or is that your opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Since he's not happy that the hospital is keeping her alive, I'm going to assume that he would say yes.
    No, ask him.

  4. #144
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    I respect advance directives and patient autonomy...

    It's just I can't see any validity in applying it when there are two patients and one has no such documentation. Are we simply to assume the kid wants to die, despite our ability to save him or her?
    So if you respect the advance directives, why are you saying that hers should be ignored?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #145
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    No, ask him.
    Maybe you should. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to take your call.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    I respect advance directives and patient autonomy...

    It's just I can't see any validity in applying it when there are two patients and one has no such documentation. Are we simply to assume the kid wants to die, despite our ability to save him or her?
    and since one patients existence is entirely dependent on the other, that kind of makes the issue complicated
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #147
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Maybe you should.
    He would dodge.

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    So, are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you really not understand what an advance directive is?
    You follow an advanced directive like it's scripture. I'm not even in the medical field yet and I know that. It seems pretty obvious.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #149
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So if you respect the advance directives, why are you saying that hers should be ignored?
    There are two patients, one is savable, the other is already gone.

    Between the two of them, the savable one is the one without documentation saying he or she wants to die in this situation.

    Triage.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    What? Do you assume I am psychic? All I (or any of us) have to go by, is what her advance directive stated.
    No worries. It's a stupid leading question.

    The legal document states her wishes. If she felt she needed to make exceptions, she could have, so far we have not heard that she had.

    Do people also state 'but not if I have a viable kidney for donation?' "But not if I have tuberculosis?" but not if my legs were cut off?" "But not if I was in the middle of surgery for cancer that had metastasized?" "but not if there's new research that indicates I can be frozen and woken later and cured?"

    Hmmm. Seems like those legal documents are to stand 'as is' unless the person included other provisions. Otherwise, I'd say *if anything* it should be left up to their legal guardian/representative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 15 of 87 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •