Page 11 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 863

Thread: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support[W:315]

  1. #101
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    I think we need to stay on topic here: this story is not about abortion, and it is not about organ transplants. Let's not get deflected away from the topic at hand just because some people can't help themselves.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #102
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    This may be the most disturbing story of 2014.

    The fact that the woman had an end of life directive means she felt strongly about it. Giving people the dignity to die how they choose, without being kept on life support for months, is incredibly important. I've seen people kept alive for months because they didn't have this kind of documentation, and it's absolutely horrific. I understand that the life support is intended to keep the fetus alive, but how can you endorse the value of life by disregarding the woman's wishes to maintain dignity in her own life? I don't believe that the ends justify the means, especially when the husband wants his wife to be taken off of life support.

    If your wife had died, the last thing you'd need is a national debate painting this as a story about abortion. And imagine all of the vitriolic things that will and have been said about him (somebody said earlier in this thread that he wanted to let the fetus die for selfish reasons, quite a vicious assumption). Respect people's wishes. What a horrible story.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #103
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    This may be the most disturbing story of 2014.

    The fact that the woman had an end of life directive means she felt strongly about it. Giving people the dignity to die how they choose, without being kept on life support for months, is incredibly important. I've seen people kept alive for months because they didn't have this kind of documentation, and it's absolutely horrific. I understand that the life support is intended to keep the fetus alive, but how can you endorse the value of life by disregarding the woman's wishes to maintain dignity in her own life? I don't believe that the ends justify the means, especially when the husband wants his wife to be taken off of life support.

    If your wife had died, the last thing you'd need is a national debate painting this as a story about abortion. And imagine all of the vitriolic things that will and have been said about him (somebody said earlier in this thread that he wanted to let the fetus die for selfish reasons, quite a vicious assumption). Respect people's wishes. What a horrible story.
    Did she want to be taken off life support while pregnant?

  4. #104
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Agreed, but I have to ask myself, would she be so willing to have the plug pulled if she knew it would kill her baby? I'd bet money she'd rethink her wishes, if for no other reason than to let the baby live.
    With severe defects? Because there is a high likelihood of that from the O2 deprivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #105
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    This may be the most disturbing story of 2014.

    If your wife had died, the last thing you'd need is a national debate painting this as a story about abortion. And imagine all of the vitriolic things that will and have been said about him (somebody said earlier in this thread that he wanted to let the fetus die for selfish reasons, quite a vicious assumption). Respect people's wishes. What a horrible story.
    Bravo. Well said.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The woman had an advance medical directive stating that she did not want life support or cpr.
    That's all one needs to know. It's sick that she is being kept on those machines against her will.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #107
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Again, this isn't about abortion.

    Cons support the actions of the hospital because not to do so would make them look less "pro-life."
    you are the one directly bringing up abortion.

    the ethical issue at hand is very similar to those involved in the abortion debate, of course, because it does involve the notion of an inherent right to life for all human beings.

    That notion is why this law exists in the first place.

    Your cynical condemnation precludes the possibility that people might, you know, actually care about and think about the ethical principles they espouse.

  8. #108
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Death is part of life. Are you against natural law.
    Death is the absence of life. That's like arguing that zero is part of one. I think you have screwed up0 an old saying that we LIVING people say to one another about death. Experiencing the death of others is a part of life. But death itself is the absence of life, not part of it.

    Maybe it's because of the right's bizarre fetus fetish.
    Akin to calling the left a "Death Cult". Good job on lowering the bar.

    I mean, since you want to turn it into a partisan pissing match, we might as well go all the way.
    Not a pissing match. I stated quite clearly that the pro-abortion folks can't support saving the life of the baby because it would challenge their belief in the inhumanity of the unborn. All you have done is support this claim by dehumanizing the baby that is growing in the womb.

    "Quod est Demonstrandum" and all that jazz..
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the fact that the kid couldn't possibly have such a document in place.
    The fetus isn't a kid yet. What week is the legal limit for an abortion in Texas? Until then, and the hospital could be stalling to breach the limit and make the question moot, but until the legal limit is hit the 'kid' is a fetus and can be legally terminated.

    Sounds to me like someone in the Hospital chain of command is an anti-abortion, or at least bowing to that pressure.

    Husband has the legal right to 'pull the plug' on his wife, he also has that right to the 20 week old fetus.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,690

    Re: Texas Hospital keeping pregnant dead lady on life support

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    How can we be sure that it is not healthy?
    It's not necessarily possible to know.

    Hence, leaving the decision up to the father (& her mother)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 11 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •