Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    translation: you got nothing and your post and lies are again destroyed by facts continuing my amusement and entertainment.

    when you have anyfFACTS that show this is not a equal rights issue and that all the facts, laws, rights, court cases and court precedence that make it an equal rights issue are factually wrong, please let us know.
    We have facts all you have is "nu-huh" and feet stomping lol

    Heck when you have ONE fact let us know, until you can do that and stay on topic there will be no reply and its yet another loss, failed lie and destroyed post of yours. Cant wait to see it you do it but my guess is youll supply ZERO and and simply accept your loss.
    If your arguments held any water all states would allow it, they don't end of story, you lost again. I love beating you down on this issue over and over

  2. #222
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You are now up to four goal post changes. My argument was an argument of logic, not what the government supports given a certain day.
    Yeah...faulty logic and black or white thinking.

    You don't seem to understand logic
    I do...and when I state as a reason that government should be in the business of issuing marriage licenses is to make individuals lives easier, you turning it into a statement that the government should do everything that makes people's lives easier is just A) Bad logic and B) Just plain idiotic pre-school debate tactics to the point that responding to you starts to become less likely.

    If your argument is the government should take part in activities if it can make them easier for the people to partake in there is no logical reason to limit your argument.
    No...it was pretty much you that made that my argument. I made it one reason for government to intervene. You wrongly claimed I was "moving the goalpost".

    No, you didn't, but I don't care. It was just another goal post change of yours anyway.
    You are completely confused on what "moving the goalpost" means.

    For example "I don't believe Obama was born in the US because I haven't seen his birth certificate"
    Obama releases his birth certificate
    Response: "That's not good enough...I need to see the long form birth certificate"
    Obama gets a special exception from Hawaii and releases the long form version
    Response: "That's not good enough we need to see his college and school records!

    What I did was give one argument. You didn't even respond to the argument but completely misrepresented my argument (strawman) by over simplifying it.

    So why don't you respond to my arguments or I'm no longer wasting my time!
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #223
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke. The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better. The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over. This helps it get there...the sooner the better.
    They shouldn't have the right to vote, i agree. At least, not most of them. Anyone who voted against marriage equality should be sued by these couples, have their own marriages annulled, and be given baby cribs to sleep in and a pacifier.

  4. #224
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    If your arguments held any water all states would allow it, they don't end of story, you lost again. I love beating you down on this issue over and over
    That simply isn't how our system works. It takes time for any battle to overturn laws to work its way through our system, and there are plenty of hurdles to overcome on the way. And then it does take time to allow for at least some social change to occur as well, even if it is advanced due to a different SCOTUS decision (yes, the Lawrence decision did help to further the cause against same sex marriage bans, but that was along with other things, especially public opinion change to the inevitable acceptance and/or support of same sex marriage being the majority, particularly among younger generations). It took almost 100 years between the first decision in the SCOTUS on interracial marriage laws and a second decision that basically overturned the first. At the time of the Loving decision, 15 states had laws still banning it and in fact criminalizing interracial relationships (the Lovings weren't just merely prevented from getting married or being recognized as such, but also from even being in a relationship) and around 70% or more of the entire US population supported making interracial relationships across the country illegal. On top of that, it took well over 100 years since the first interracial marriage bans went into place til around 1967 to get those not struck down by Loving gone. So far, getting same sex marriage legal has been going much quicker, since the first state legalizing same sex marriage was just about a decade ago only, and now we have something like 15 states where it is legal, and lots more with legal battles in motion or pushes to overturn the laws through legislation. Plus, over half the country supports same sex marriage being legal.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #225
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not really sure why people always include police with education, mail, roads, healthcare, and now apparently marriage. The police are an arm of the law and make it possible for the state to act on criminals. It's not just more efficient, or cheaper, but necessary for that to occur. The government has no reason to involve itself to make things cheaper or more efficient for the people. If the people want something for themselves there is no reason the state should provide them assistance to reach their own personal goals. The government is not an individual service provider and should not be used towards those ends.
    Who wants to rule over a land of destitution? Sounds like those in government have a vested interest in minimizing the # of citizens without any teeth or education.

    They should really kick mississippi out of the union if anything.

  6. #226
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed, and SCOTUS in their original ruling on DOMA found there was no "unequal treatment". Now was the original ruling correct or the subsequent one? Did the text of the Constitution change? How about voting law then, are sub-18 year olds treated unequally? How about any state licensing, are those unequal treatment of priviledge because they have certain requirements to meet licensing that not everyone has? And what of states that disallow first cousins and siblings to marry, is that unequal treatment?
    What original ruling was that? The one last summer?

    Disallowing first cousins to marry can be considered a "compelling state interest" because it leads to deformities. But aside from that, any person can marry someone other than their cousin. To my knowledge, no one is exclusively attracted to their cousin.

    Voting age law...you really need to look up "compelling state interest" as applies to 14th amendment.

  7. #227
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,810

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    If your arguments held any water all states would allow it, they don't end of story, you lost again. I love beating you down on this issue over and over
    Applying your logic, segregation was perfectly valid on a legal basis because some states still had segregation.

    "People say separate but equal is inherently unequal, but if that argument held any water we wouldn't have segregation here in the south!" - You, a few decades ago.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #228
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,810

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed, and SCOTUS in their original ruling on DOMA found there was no "unequal treatment". Now was the original ruling correct or the subsequent one? Did the text of the Constitution change? How about voting law then, are sub-18 year olds treated unequally? How about any state licensing, are those unequal treatment of priviledge because they have certain requirements to meet licensing that not everyone has? And what of states that disallow first cousins and siblings to marry, is that unequal treatment?
    I've explained to you how equal protection challenges work before. Clearly it didn't stick.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #229
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I've explained to you how equal protection challenges work before. Clearly it didn't stick.
    facts are often ignored when an argument fails so your explanation of equal protection will continue to be ignored because it proves you right and others wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #230
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I've explained to you how equal protection challenges work before. Clearly it didn't stick.
    No it didn't, I generally don't allow garbage to stick. There is little evidence that the marriage of first cousins will lead to deformities especially in this day and age and yet that is excused as a compelling state interest. The problem with using that as a metric is that it's highly subjective and not at all defined in law. Is it in the states interest to uphold social mores? Yet we do regardless.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •