Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #211
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Poor Oklahoma. The state already experiences more of God's wrath than any other state in the union..

    Attachment 67160258

    What sort of plagues will they now have to endure because they allow the sodomites to marry...

  2. #212
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not really sure why people always include police with education, mail, roads, healthcare, and now apparently marriage. The police are an arm of the law and make it possible for the state to act on criminals. It's not just more efficient, or cheaper, but necessary for that to occur. The government has no reason to involve itself to make things cheaper or more efficient for the people. If the people want something for themselves there is no reason the state should provide them assistance to reach their own personal goals. The government is not an individual service provider and should not be used towards those ends.
    You obviously have very little clue on the history of the police or law enforcement, even in our own country. Posse comitatus for instance isn't really about the military at all (the Act is, the phrase is not). It in fact comes from the belief that the people are responsible for policing themselves and to help their community. For a very long time throughout Western history, the people actually did police themselves. Learn a lot when you study criminal justice at a college. The communities policed themselves for quite some time before people started to realize that it leads to corruption to allow those with power unrestrained reign over the laws and enforcement of such over others. Heck, our current police force organization and ideals only came into being around the early 1900s. And we took some of our ideas from the British, who only started doing it about a century before, getting their ideals/beliefs/system from Sir Robert Peel (he is believed to be the reason British officers are called "bobbies").

    So yes, the police force run by the government is in fact a relatively new concept established as a service to the community because it is much less corruptible and much more efficient (not to mention less prone to apathy over enforcement since a system prior to that set up people on basically a rotation dealing with their standing within the community rather than being a full time job) to allow the government to run it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #213
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Once again, race and creed are protected by constitution, sexual orientation is not.
    Everyone is protected by the Constitution, including sexual orientation because it is people, citizens that are protected. The level of protection that the gain may be determined by other things, but everyone is protected from unequal treatment under the laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You obviously have very little clue on the history of the police or law enforcement, even in our own country. Posse comitatus for instance isn't really about the military at all (the Act is, the phrase is not). It in fact comes from the belief that the people are responsible for policing themselves and to help their community. For a very long time throughout Western history, the people actually did police themselves. Learn a lot when you study criminal justice at a college. The communities policed themselves for quite some time before people started to realize that it leads to corruption to allow those with power unrestrained reign over the laws and enforcement of such over others. Heck, our current police force organization and ideals only came into being around the early 1900s. And we took some of our ideas from the British, who only started doing it about a century before, getting their ideals/beliefs/system from Sir Robert Peel (he is believed to be the reason British officers are called "bobbies").

    So yes, the police force run by the government is in fact a relatively new concept established as a service to the community because it is much less corruptible and much more efficient (not to mention less prone to apathy over enforcement since a system prior to that set up people on basically a rotation dealing with their standing within the community rather than being a full time job) to allow the government to run it.
    Fine, you win on the police argument. I honestly don't care about your non sequiturs.

  5. #215
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Everyone is protected by the Constitution, including sexual orientation because it is people, citizens that are protected. The level of protection that the gain may be determined by other things, but everyone is protected from unequal treatment under the laws.
    Indeed, and SCOTUS in their original ruling on DOMA found there was no "unequal treatment". Now was the original ruling correct or the subsequent one? Did the text of the Constitution change? How about voting law then, are sub-18 year olds treated unequally? How about any state licensing, are those unequal treatment of priviledge because they have certain requirements to meet licensing that not everyone has? And what of states that disallow first cousins and siblings to marry, is that unequal treatment?

  6. #216
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed, and SCOTUS in their original ruling on DOMA found there was no "unequal treatment". Now was the original ruling correct or the subsequent one? Did the text of the Constitution change? How about voting law then, are sub-18 year olds treated unequally? How about any state licensing, are those unequal treatment of priviledge because they have certain requirements to meet licensing that not everyone has? And what of states that disallow first cousins and siblings to marry, is that unequal treatment?
    Wrong. SCOTUS made no such ruling on DOMA. They have yet to address the constitutionality of DOMA in full or the mini-DOMAs of the states.

    The text of the 14th, which is where the EPC is found and the Amendment that deals with equal protection of state laws (basically limiting state governments the same way that the federal government is), states quite clearly that the states cannot treat people unequally under the laws. The SCOTUS has consistently ruled that this applies to many different things/characteristics/traits of people, limited mainly by the type of law/characteristic and the level of state interest involved in the law and how it balances the treatment.

    ALL license restrictions must be justified with some state interest. For instance, a state could not decide at random that men ages 35 to 45 cannot be licensed to drive a car or that people with blue eyes cannot be licensed to be nurses or that people with long blond hair cannot have access to a concealed carry permit, because the state could show no legitimate state interest in any of these restrictions that pertain to the action being licensed, just as they cannot show any legitimate state interest in restricting people from marriage based on their relative genders because there are no state interests being furthered by such gender-based restrictions.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #217
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    if that were true, it would be legal in all states. Again just that easy I prove you a liar.
    what FACTS do you have that says otherwise and says all the facts, rights, laws, court cases and court precedence doesnt matter? please let us know
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I haven't moved a goal post. What the government does and why it supports what it does isn't some binary pass X and you're good. If you have some simple black and white criteria for what the government does good for you...a lot of us don't think that way.
    You are now up to four goal post changes. My argument was an argument of logic, not what the government supports given a certain day.

    Sure...that's why we have court systems and elections. We do it every day. The battles in Washington are about expansion of government versus limiting it. The battle has been fought since the countries inception.
    You don't seem to understand logic. If your argument is the government should take part in activities if it can make them easier for the people to partake in there is no logical reason to limit your argument.

    No...I've said human beings have been coupling together forever...older than the act of marriage or government.
    No, you didn't, but I don't care. It was just another goal post change of yours anyway.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    what FACTS do you have that says otherwise and says all the facts, rights, laws, court cases and court precedence doesnt matter? please let us know
    as usual nothing of substance back from you. One has to be able to read to see those facts, I guess that point alone makes this moot.

  10. #220
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    as usual nothing of substance back from you. One has to be able to read to see those facts, I guess that point alone makes this moot.
    translation: you got nothing and your post and lies are again destroyed by facts continuing my amusement and entertainment.

    when you have anyfFACTS that show this is not a equal rights issue and that all the facts, laws, rights, court cases and court precedence that make it an equal rights issue are factually wrong, please let us know.
    We have facts all you have is "nu-huh" and feet stomping lol

    Heck when you have ONE fact let us know, until you can do that and stay on topic there will be no reply and its yet another loss, failed lie and destroyed post of yours. Cant wait to see it you do it but my guess is youll supply ZERO and and simply accept your loss.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •