Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #201
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Its no different than typical contract law, and since its a common practice, it would be pretty simple to adopt.

    Let the government create a designation, like a benefactor, and replace all law references to "spouce, partner, marriage" etc with designated benefactor. Now all citizenry can choose 1 person, whomever they want, to get those special protections and privileges. It eliminates the state's involvement with any type of marriage, and turns it all into basic contracts.

    If the state wants to regulate those contracts, by being the keeper of the records, so be it, but its a much better system than what we have today.
    And it would still fail to establish a legal kinship that is established through legally recognized marriages. Something that is otherwise established through birth records (for the most part, some is adoption records or now DNA tests) for other legally recognized relations.

    The people want marriage. You might not. Just as some do not think there should be a standing military or others do not believe that we should have public services, such as a police force, or EMTs, or firefighters, or public schools. But the majority, vast majority of citizens want those things, including marriages. So unless that changes to where the majority wants the government out of marriage, then it isn't going to happen because there is no legal standing to honestly challenge marriage as a legal entity itself within US laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    82

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke. The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better. The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over. This helps it get there...the sooner the better.

  3. #203
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    1.)I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke.
    2.) The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better.
    3.) The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over.
    4.) This helps it get there...the sooner the better.
    1.) me too, its always a joke when people try to vote away others rights.
    2.) to bad the opposite is happening with this topic.
    3.) you are free to feel this way, you could always go to russia if you dont like freedom and rights
    4.) i agree if this gets you to russia and all those that opposes equal rights the sooner the better! the country will be better because of this and without those who oppose it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #204
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke. The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better. The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over. This helps it get there...the sooner the better.
    Is the Constitution a joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke. The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better. The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over. This helps it get there...the sooner the better.
    What if people in N Carolina voted Jews were second class citizens? Would you be okay with that?

  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I think its great the people of both Oklahoma and Utah have been shown that voting is nothing but a joke. The more people that refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the government the better. The country is a rotten tree that's leaning and just needs pushed over. This helps it get there...the sooner the better.
    Personally, I think its great that people are finding out that we live in a constitutional republic, not a direct democracy. Your vote is not supposed to be so powerful that it can be used to treat others wrongly, take away rights or prevent them from obtaining rights. Tyranny of the majority is still a tyranny, and exactly why we are a constitutional republic.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Other activities that the people want them to handle, including some they already do, such as education and the mail and protection of the public through police (something that really wasn't even done until the last century and a half or so, at least not recognizable as we do it now), to name a few. There are plenty of things that the public, voters, citizens ask the government to do for them because it is more efficiently done by the government rather than privately with each individual.
    I'm not really sure why people always include police with education, mail, roads, healthcare, and now apparently marriage. The police are an arm of the law and make it possible for the state to act on criminals. It's not just more efficient, or cheaper, but necessary for that to occur. The government has no reason to involve itself to make things cheaper or more efficient for the people. If the people want something for themselves there is no reason the state should provide them assistance to reach their own personal goals. The government is not an individual service provider and should not be used towards those ends.
    Last edited by Henrin; 01-17-14 at 05:45 PM.

  8. #208
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What if people in N Carolina voted Jews were second class citizens? Would you be okay with that?
    Once again, race and creed are protected by constitution, sexual orientation is not.

  9. #209
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Poor Oklahoma. The state already experiences more of God's wrath than any other state in the union..

    tornado.jpg

    What sort of plagues will they now have to endure because they allow the sodomites to marry...
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    doesnt have to be
    its also not my argument, it has nothing to do with me its just facts and reality
    see all the court cases, laws, rights and court precedence that prove you wrong

    what FACTS do you have that says otherwise and says all the facts, rights, laws, court cases and court precedence doesnt matter? please let us know
    if that were true, it would be legal in all states. Again just that easy I prove you a liar.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •