Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #161
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I see, so if the government can make peoples lives easier in a certain activity they desire to take part in the government should take it on themselves do it. What other activities should they handle for people?
    Well that would depend wouldn't it? Are you arguing that if the government makes it as easy as possible for people to couple up which has been part of the human condition since...well ever...that it's a slippery slope to the government buying you jet ski?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Well that would depend wouldn't it? Are you arguing that if the government makes it as easy as possible for people to couple up which has been part of the human condition since...well ever...that it's a slippery slope to the government buying you jet ski?
    No, it wouldn't depend. Your argument is build on the idea that if the government can make things easier for people they should do it. Btw, moving your goal post to something being old doesn't help you much either.

  3. #163
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    This is a complete lie even "Liberal" California rejected it only to have the authoritarian left reverse it, which is now the leftist model for what to do in the rest of the country. Impose it on the people despite many who dont agree, with an Iron fist! .... or gavel if you will.
    There's nothing liberal about california or any other state. This country is perpetually 10 years behind others at minimum. Support for gay rights is at like 88% in spain. That's liberal.

    Even in conservative california, support will reach that point. Just give it another 10 years.

  4. #164
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    You are on the wrong side of history, the public and what is right.

    You want to split the nation? Go form your own damned country. We are doing just fine in these 50 states.
    I would love for all the phobics out there to go form their own country of hate and misery. Where can they go though? Even oklahoma won't take them now. Perhaps they can find some uninhabited island.

  5. #165
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Not giving a **** about the rule of law and pretending imaginary rights are in plain English documents = "the good guys?"

    Uh-huh. Suuuuure.

    While contracts should be freely made between consenting adults, this is a matter for the legislature. The courts pretending the Constitution says anything about this whatsoever is obscene and absurd. It's an act of boldface lying to the public.
    The legislature failed to do its job upholding the constitution is why the courts have to step in at all.

  6. #166
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, it wouldn't depend.
    It kind of would. That's why we have elected officials and a voting process...to help decide that kind of stuff.

    Your argument is build on the idea that if the government can make things easier for people they should do it.
    To an extent...you're the one that broadened it into some all inclusive Law of when Iliveonramen believes government should get involved.

    Btw, moving your goal post to something being old doesn't help you much either.
    Actually the argument is that human beings coupling is pretty basic part of being human not an argument that it's old.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    It kind of would. That's why we have elected officials and a voting process...to help decide that kind of stuff.
    How many goalposts do you have? Should I go around cutting them down before we begin posting so that you can stay on point?

    To an extent...you're the one that broadened it into some all inclusive Law of when Iliveonramen believes government should get involved.
    So you believe in the principle that government should be involved in activities if it can make peoples lives easier, but impose a limit on it's extent? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

    Actually the argument is that human beings coupling is pretty basic part of being human not an argument that it's old.
    Your argument was essentially marriage is old and therefore the government should be involved. It's just as weak as your other arguments you have presented so far.

  8. #168
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What if a totally RED state, like say Texas somehow found itself in the same predicament with an judge ruling away the will of the people on a social matter were to say, F-U Judge, and inform it's State employees that the ruling of the people is the law, and NOT that of the court. Ok, so the USSC would have to rule on this once and for all, and say they rule that States don't have a right to define marriage, and rule with gays, and then the state says screw you, you're misapplying the meaning of what citizens have a right to decide for themselves. So then what? What is the Federal government going to do about it? I ask in all seriousness because the Fed's can cut off any federal funding or they could use force (Doubtful), but using force would cause an outright rebellion from the other states. The point here is that these lower court rulings are emotional, and in my honest well educated opinion, are not based on the proper interpretations of the Constitution.

    I've stated many times that, citizens have a right to decide for themselves, and as locally as possible what kind of community they want to live in. Mobility allows those that do not agree to reside elsewhere, and if your laws are so far out there, then no one will live there and the town, municipality, or State will go bankrupt, or be forced to change due to a lack of constituency. With all the in and outs of what the Founders wanted in a nation, this one thing rings true on every level. The founders wanted the states to be sovereign republics, and within the states themselves they wanted the localities to direct public policy. The thinking was, and still is that, if a locality is run properly, the locality will stand or fall based on its policies. The Federal government was only ever needed to regulate commerce between the states, protect our borders, have a standing army, and to conduct trade, and wage war. The Federal government by slowly but surely disproportionately taxing all US citizens has grown to a point where they buy the states compliance or punish if not complaint with its wishes. This to me, is wrong headed, and we deserve the government we have, but no one in their right mind would want a government that forces social policy on its citizens by judicial fiat.

    For the record, DO NOT say that SSM is about equality. I disregard that philosophy. Homosexuality is a sexual fetish, no different than any other fetish. Heterosexuality is the baseline potential of all humans, and most animals, IMO, and however and whenever someone waivers from that, whether exclusively or partially doesn't change that assertion, IMO. If a heterosexual engages in anal sex, that is a fetish, if they engage in drinking someone else's urine, that is a fetish, if it's in wanting to have sex with a child, that is a fetish. Some fetishes have become socially acceptable while some others remain not so much, but make no mistake, when it comes to what is socially acceptable, the people should decide. No one wants to take away the homosexual fetish and of those that wish to practice it either exclusively, or on occasion, but lets all please stop pretending that homosexuality is on equal ground with heterosexuality, and therefore in my opinion not worthy of any claim to equal marriage rights.


    Tim-
    We've been there and done that. People in the South rebelled because they wanted to keep slaves. A war was fought over that, and the South lost.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #169
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    We've been there and done that. People in the South rebelled because they wanted to keep slaves. A war was fought over that, and the South lost.
    not what "i" want, i just want equality and luckily thats whats winning

    but i say if people are actually that mentally inept and or bigoted enough to want to fight over the fed granting and protecting equal rights I say bring it on.

    This way these type of anti-freedom and anti-rights people are quickly and easily identified and can be dealt with. They can rebel, fight and die or simply move to Russia if they choose. They will never be happy in a free country like this anyway.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #170
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,235

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I would love for all the phobics out there to go form their own country of hate and misery. Where can they go though? Even oklahoma won't take them now. Perhaps they can find some uninhabited island.

    Some extreme libertarians tried the uninhabited island trick, moved onto an island belonging to the Kingdom of Tonga. Needless to say, the mighty Tongan navy dispatched them within hours. People gotta understand, it is not 1955, it is not 1965, it is not 1975...the world changes, people grow, things change, adapt and embrace, or just be the angry old man who hates the world. Their choice, the rest of us will move forward.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •