Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #151
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I don't think the state should be involved in marriage contracts, so I see no state interest in having any marriage laws.
    Really? Marriage is a pretty common practice and the amount of paperwork and lawyer fees required are pretty substantial in order to recreate the protections a spouse has.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Really? Marriage is a pretty common practice and the amount of paperwork and lawyer fees required are pretty substantial in order to recreate the protections a spouse has.
    Why does something being expensive mean the government has to do it?

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) caring about the law is what these ruling are based on so your post fails there
    2.) failed strawman and your claim is the only boldface lie

    rights and the constitution were both protected, your opinion is meaningless
    and sexual preference is not covered or addressed in the constitution so again your argument is fantasy and has nothing to do with reality

  4. #154
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Hopefully such an intrusion of rights will be repealed and reversed. Turning voters that have issues with changing the definition of marriage into second class citizens in lieu of social changes and progressives/liberals wanting to declare perversion as a protected right worthy enough to completely redefine the English language is not something that should happen. When in doubt, when politics don't go your way just file with the courts and hope some activist judges will give your opinion on a political/social issue legal protection everyone does it.

    If this insanity is upheld I sincerely hope that there is a revolt and maybe even a split of the union. For far too long the rights of people have been eroded by this progressive philosophy of anit-religion and anti-voter's rights/sate's when issues are not popular among secular liberals/progressives. Such a sweeping change of hundreds of years of marital practice should not happen due to perversion becoming more socially acceptable, especially not without a Constitutional Amendment that removes the rights of states to define marriage.
    Completely out of your mind to think that violence is acceptable response to human rights. Russia is ---->....Never mind, you won't be happy there either. Uganda is ------>

  5. #155
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    10th Amendment. Marriage is a right, but it's not a specifically enumerated right, so according to the 10th Amendment regulating the right of marriage falls to the states.
    Except when the states violate 14th amendment

    It's funny to see you and others squirm your way into "as supporter of gay rights including marriage" in other threads. You clearly are not

  6. #156
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why does something being expensive mean the government has to do it?
    It doesn't HAVE to do it...it's just must more efficient than everybody going out and getting lawyers to compile a list of documents giving someone that same rights a marriage license does. It's the reason why most people are happy with the government issuing them.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Hopefully such an intrusion of rights will be repealed and reversed. Turning voters that have issues with changing the definition of marriage into second class citizens in lieu of social changes and progressives/liberals wanting to declare perversion as a protected right worthy enough to completely redefine the English language is not something that should happen. When in doubt, when politics don't go your way just file with the courts and hope some activist judges will give your opinion on a political/social issue legal protection everyone does it.

    If this insanity is upheld I sincerely hope that there is a revolt and maybe even a split of the union. For far too long the rights of people have been eroded by this progressive philosophy of anit-religion and anti-voter's rights/sate's when issues are not popular among secular liberals/progressives. Such a sweeping change of hundreds of years of marital practice should not happen due to perversion becoming more socially acceptable, especially not without a Constitutional Amendment that removes the rights of states to define marriage.
    EXCEPT that this isn't changing anyone INTO a second class citizen but freeing a few folks from being second class citizens. Kinda opposite day on that.

    Be careful what you wish for when it comes to violence, or better yet have you a most excellent hidie hole because revolt isn't neat and tidy and many 'just' folks end up buzzard bait in the streets. Not sure how the Union will divide on this, this isn't as much a regional thing as your neighbor thing.

    The biggest problem with the 'Right for States to define marriage' is that right isn't without limits. Can a state define marriage as only within one's race? This doesn't redefine anything, it EXPANDS a definition.

    Where the State's Rights crowd miss the mark on this, and a few other issues, is the deciding which consenting adults are allowed to do something, but not others of equal legal status (ie not felons with handguns or untrained 'doctors' practicing medicine) is not a State Right. The Constitution is quite clear on equal rights- some would say traditionally a woman isn't granted 'equal rights' as she was made second, made to be a 'helper', made subservient. So quoting 'what was' doesn't so it ever shall be, even while singing it in a hymn.

    There need be no Constitutional Amendment on this. That is a forlorn hope stall tactic.

    Does a ban on same sex marriage pass Constitutional muster?

    You see Oklahoma didn't define marriage or even restrict it to man/woman, we BANNED same sex marriage. Stupid tactic by hyper partisan religious Conservatives.

    It is a foolish lament to decry the 'the will of the people' every time an unconstitutional law is passed. But it is about all those who spend endless time and taxpayer money dreaming up and then pushing for Unconstitutional laws have left to shout...

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    It doesn't HAVE to do it...it's just must more efficient than everybody going out and getting lawyers to compile a list of documents giving someone that same rights a marriage license does. It's the reason why most people are happy with the government issuing them.
    I see, so if the government can make peoples lives easier in a certain activity they desire to take part in the government should take it on themselves do it. What other activities should they handle for people?

  9. #159
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    and sexual preference is not covered or addressed in the constitution so again your argument is fantasy and has nothing to do with reality
    doesnt have to be
    its also not my argument, it has nothing to do with me its just facts and reality
    see all the court cases, laws, rights and court precedence that prove you wrong

    what FACTS do you have that says otherwise and says all the facts, rights, laws, court cases and court precedence doesnt matter? please let us know
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #160
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    So according to you then the majority of the population are bigots who discriminate. So having a referendum now days is meaningless, if some progressive fascist smuck disagrees they shop it to a idealogical judge who will rule on socialist progessive idealogy & not the constitution. Welcome to a top down Authoritarian state as long as it go's your way who cares about the will of the majority huh?

    The only bigots that I see in this issue are the ones who call others bigots for having a differing opinion.
    tyranny of the majority**

    at least get that right

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •