Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #141
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Now he goes to semantics.

    I made the initial request for a state interest in barring two same-gender individuals from entering a marriage contract. You provide that interest, and I'll provide several for marriage contracts in general. (although it's a bit of a red herring because there isn't an equal protection challenge that I'm aware of regarding the existence of marriage in general)
    I don't think the state should be involved in marriage contracts, so I see no state interest in having any marriage laws.

    You, however, have started with the assumption that the state should be involved, and therefore, should not violate the equal protection clause with their involvement.

  2. #142
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I don't think the state should be involved in marriage contracts, so I see no state interest in having any marriage laws.

    You, however, have started with the assumption that the state should be involved, and therefore, should not violate the equal protection clause with their involvement.
    No, I've started with the assumption that the state is involved. Since it is, equal protection applies.

    You are free to present a legal argument for overturning all marriage laws, but I'd suggest another thread so as to not derail this one with a separate topic. I'd be interested to see the argument.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #143
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    1.)Not giving a **** about the rule of law and pretending imaginary rights are in plain English documents = "the good guys?"

    Uh-huh. Suuuuure.

    2.) While contracts should be freely made between consenting adults, this is a matter for the legislature. The courts pretending the Constitution says anything about this whatsoever is obscene and absurd. It's an act of boldface lying to the public.
    1.) caring about the law is what these ruling are based on so your post fails there
    2.) failed strawman and your claim is the only boldface lie

    rights and the constitution were both protected, your opinion is meaningless
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #144
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    1.)Yes, I would like to talk about how you can pretend the Constitution says anything about gay marriage, as written, as ratified, or even as amended.

    2.)The hallucinations of others is not much justification when talking about the written word and the rule of law. Why should I care about "state interest" when there is nothing in the text about any such thing?

    3.) You want to pretend that in 1868 when the 14th Amendment was written - written as it was, chiefly in regard to the practices of slavery like its peers the 13th and 15th - it was intended and in fact did apply to gay marriage, that gay marriage has been an official constitutional right since 1868, despite not being explicitly stated as such.

    Okay. Show me some indication of the authors of the 14th amendment protesting the absence of legal gay marriage since apparently every state was "violating the Constitution" ever since 1868, as you are claiming. Honestly, this is like pretending executions are "cruel and unusual" by Constitutional standards despite them being a common punishment in 1791, when the 8th Amendment was ratified... It doesn't logically add up.


    I mean, again, sure, I don't think anyone should be forbidden from making such a contract with whomever they like, regardless of their gender, but to pretend the text says something it doesn't and then to force such hallucinations on others remains tyrannical absurdity.
    1.) it factually doesnt have to this is why your whole made up argument complete fails and nobody educated, honest and objective falls for it
    2.) the written words you speak of proof your post wrong as usual
    3.) equal rights, game over
    4.) see 3
    5.) i agree now stop pretending equal rights doesn't apply because facts prove otherwise
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #145
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    So to clarify, you do think the right to gay marriage was explicitly put into the Constitution as a constitutional right in 1868 and that right has been violated ever since then?
    translation: you cant defend you failed and destroyed claim so you try your strawman again and it still fails. Nobody buys your strawman its a complete failure.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #146
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    {edit]

    For the record, DO NOT say that SSM is about equality. I disregard that philosophy. Homosexuality is a sexual fetish, no different than any other fetish. Heterosexuality is the baseline potential of all humans, and most animals, IMO, and however and whenever someone waivers from that, whether exclusively or partially doesn't change that assertion, IMO. If a heterosexual engages in anal sex, that is a fetish, if they engage in drinking someone else's urine, that is a fetish, if it's in wanting to have sex with a child, that is a fetish. Some fetishes have become socially acceptable while some others remain not so much, but make no mistake, when it comes to what is socially acceptable, the people should decide. No one wants to take away the homosexual fetish and of those that wish to practice it either exclusively, or on occasion, but lets all please stop pretending that homosexuality is on equal ground with heterosexuality, and therefore in my opinion not worthy of any claim to equal marriage rights.


    Tim-
    sorry you dont get to "disregard" FACTS
    so your failed strawman complete fails and your opinion is factually wrong

    everybody honest, educated and objective will keep saying equal rights and equality because thats the facts.

    Rights, laws, court cases and court precedence will all keep referring to equality because again thats the facts.
    Facts > Tim's proven wrong OPINION
    Last edited by AGENT J; 01-15-14 at 05:33 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Does anyone else notice Oklahoma kind looks like a ragged meat cleaver?
    If you ever come visit us in July or August you'd recognize it for what it is.... a frying pan...

  8. #148
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, I've started with the assumption that the state is involved. Since it is, equal protection applies.

    You are free to present a legal argument for overturning all marriage laws, but I'd suggest another thread so as to not derail this one with a separate topic. I'd be interested to see the argument.
    100% correct
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #149
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    That's quite the statement. Many minority groups would still be out in cold with that attitude. This might-makes-right attitude is entirely antithetical to the freedom and equal citizenship you apparently hold in such high regard.
    Every minority group would be. The majority tends to be satisfied with the status quo, laws being made to tailor to them, while ignoring that everyone is in the minority in some regard.

    So let's begin state bans on people in top 1% of income being able to marry! That will teach those white hetero males who's boss.

  10. #150
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm not gay, evangelical, or live in OK, so please stop flaunting your bedroom practices in my face by making threads like these. It's non of anyone's business and I'll thank you to keep it that way.
    Rofl, this is *newsworthy*. You don't like it, stay away. Stop flaunting your own bedroom practices by mentioning you're not gay

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •