Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 265

Thread: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

  1. #91
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That was my point - Marriage is a) not state recognized (beyond contract law) and b) generally only recognized by the Church or in front of God..

    The State doesn't recognize one or the other.... If they did the argument would be a First Amendment argument and not a Fourteenth (or other issues associated) "equal protection clause" argument.

    The Fourteenth is useless given the aforementioned criteria.
    But we're talking about contract law. You can't say "beyond contract law" because contract law is the entire scope of this discussion.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #92
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Then what you call a prenup?
    Prenup places modifications on the contract. There is nothing about a prenup that violates the Constitution.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #93
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Yank View Post
    So according to you then the majority of the population are bigots who discriminate. So having a referendum now days is meaningless, if some progressive fascist smuck disagrees they shop it to a idealogical judge who will rule on socialist progessive idealogy & not the constitution. Welcome to a top down Authoritarian state as long as it go's your way who cares about the will of the majority huh?

    The only bigots that I see in this issue are the ones who call others bigots for having a differing opinion.
    LOL....no. Actually the majority of the population favors marriage equality. Evenso...Constitutional rights are not subject to a "referendum" of the popular vote. I love it when people try to argue that laws that grant freedom to people are "socialist". It is a completely illogical argument.....one where expansion of rights is viewed by the extreme right wackos as "Authoritarian". Welcome to backwards day.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But we're talking about contract law. You can't say "beyond contract law" because contract law is the entire scope of this discussion.
    It was figure of speech talking about the Church or Temple or whatever religion you vow under.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Prenup places modifications on the contract. There is nothing about a prenup that violates the Constitution.
    Agreed, but usually not after the fact - not in normal marriages.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    On a couple of other forums, members used to swear on their mothers that *their* state constitutional laws preventing SSM could NEVER be overturned. Michigan and TX are the 2 that come to mind.

    What we're seeing here with NM, Utah, OK....exactly what I told them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #97
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It was figure of speech talking about the Church or Temple or whatever religion you vow under.
    All of which are irrelevant to state recognition of a same-sex marriage contract.

    What is your objection to state recognition of a same-sex marriage contract?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #98
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Agreed, but usually not after the fact - not in normal marriages.
    That's why its called a "Pre" nup. However, I think the parties would be allowed to modify the terms of their marital agreement if they filed appropriate legal documents post nuputial.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #99
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Agreed, but usually not after the fact - not in normal marriages.
    A pre-nuptial agreement is before the fact, literally by definition. A prenup doesn't change things after the fact ever.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: US judge strikes down Okla. same-sex marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But we're talking about contract law. You can't say "beyond contract law" because contract law is the entire scope of this discussion.
    It depends, I cant give you a 101 on **** **** (I'm criminal law but know litigation and what I call **** **** "marriage ****")

    Maybe I'm just too blunt..... sorry.

    BTW, I don't advocate any divorces or want my legal ideas to be used is such a manner..... (also they generally apply in Illinois).

    I'm merely just pointing out that marriage is a legal contract and is NOT some sort of state recognition...

    So there was no bias there to begin with - gays can sign legal contracts too, they're not "legally married" but the benefits that a married couple would have exist to both."

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •