Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 246

Thread: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality [W:23]

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    If it was only that! It is the ISPs that have put the laws in place in the first place! Do you really think Comcast and other cable companies are against local laws that prevent competition on the cable market? Of course not! They lobbied for the laws in the first place!

    The problem is not government but business influence on government. Government is suppose to be by the people and for the people.. it is suppose to protect the people, not work against them. Government should be opening up markets, forcing Comcast to sell its capacity to competitors so you create more competition.
    Feel free to run YOUR govt that way. Leave ours alone.

  2. #222
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Feel free to run YOUR govt that way. Leave ours alone.
    So you are against the free markets and competition ... not very libertarian is it?
    PeteEU

  3. #223
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are against the free markets and competition ... not very libertarian is it?
    Some people have this notion that the government can only take away freedom. They fail to recognize that sometimes protecting the freedom of the markets requires limiting the freedom of a business.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #224
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Some people have this notion that the government can only take away freedom. They fail to recognize that sometimes protecting the freedom of the markets requires limiting the freedom of a business.
    I know... it is very strange.. they have no problems with business abusing people, but when it is the government then all hell breaks loose..
    PeteEU

  5. #225
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I know... it is very strange.. they have no problems with business abusing people, but when it is the government then all hell breaks loose..
    What does "abuse" mean in your post?

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are against the free markets and competition ... not very libertarian is it?
    So youre for govt dictatorship? Well, actually that is pretty Danish? of you.

  7. #227
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    What does "abuse" mean in your post?
    Stuff like local laws written on behalf of car dealerships to prevent competition... like online sales from Telsa or other cars.

    Stuff like local laws written on behalf of cable companies that prevent new cable companies from entering the market.

    And then there is the direct abuse that happened during the 2000s where former pizza delivery boys were selling mortgages on behalf of major banks and financial institutions to people who never have been able to repay the loan.

    Abuses by the private sector happen daily and often and it should the job of government to stop such abuses.. that is why we have regulations. Government should not be there to promote such abuses.. which creating a defacto monopoly on behalf of a private company is.
    PeteEU

  8. #228
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Stuff like local laws written on behalf of car dealerships to prevent competition... like online sales from Telsa or other cars.

    Stuff like local laws written on behalf of cable companies that prevent new cable companies from entering the market.

    And then there is the direct abuse that happened during the 2000s where former pizza delivery boys were selling mortgages on behalf of major banks and financial institutions to people who never have been able to repay the loan.

    Abuses by the private sector happen daily and often and it should the job of government to stop such abuses.. that is why we have regulations. Government should not be there to promote such abuses.. which creating a defacto monopoly on behalf of a private company is.
    State abuse.

    State abuse.

    First off, the mentality that the state pushed was everyone has a "right" to own a home. State abuse. The state created entities of Fannie and Freddie, that lowered standards continuously, is state abuse. The companies rightly assuming the state would bail them out is a state abuse problem.

    The state is abuse, it does not stop abuse.

  9. #229
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,030

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Cable is only one way to get television or internet. It happens to be the BEST way, which is why it dominates. My speeds have skyrocketed, FYI. That's why Comcast dominates here.
    Until google fiber comes to town and kills your cable company crush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #230
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    So youre for govt dictatorship? Well, actually that is pretty Danish? of you.
    How can it be a government dictatorship if the actions are done to protect the citizens from abuse? You have no problem with almost no competition in your cable/ISP market?
    PeteEU

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •