Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 246

Thread: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality [W:23]

  1. #161
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because the Constitution doesn't guarantee a right to free speech across the board, it only guarantees that the government cannot stop you. You have no right to use another person's platform for your speech.
    Then why does Comcast get a right to free speech on its cables running on land (i. e. the platform) on which the public owns?

  2. #162
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    I do not support state decided "public" land, or state taxes.
    That's fine, but since we paid for it, we still own it. Comcast does not own all the land through which its cables run.

    Let me explain your reasoning: I have a right to dig up your backyard and front yard to run my own cables, and you have no say in the matter because I paid for the cables.

  3. #163
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    That's fine, but since we paid for it, we still own it. Comcast does not own all the land through which its cables run.
    You do not "own" anything to do with this.

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, we get that you are an anarchist.
    That's not true; she's making a correct Libertarian stance (which is not anarchism), but her premise is invalid. If you utilize land owned by someone else, that someone else has a right to dictate the terms on which you can use that land.

    And she's arguing that's not the case--that's not Libertarianism at all.

  5. #165
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    You do not "own" anything to do with this.
    What evidence do you have that Comcast owns all the land through which its cables run? Please provide it for us below. Certainly you're not arguing that Comcast can do whatever it wants on land it doesn't own, right?

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    That's not true; she's making a correct Libertarian stance (which is not anarchism), but her premise is invalid. If you utilize land owned by someone else, that someone else has a right to dictate the terms on which you can use that land.

    And she's arguing that's not the case--that's not Libertarianism at all.
    The views she's expressed support no state. That's anarchy in a nutshell. You can argue certain points are libertarian, but with no type of government that is anarchy.

  7. #167
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Please provide it for us below.
    Comcast does not "own" the land either.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The views she's expressed support no state. That's anarchy in a nutshell. You can argue certain points are libertarian, but with no type of government that is anarchy.
    It's a question of property rights. If I own a car and I drive on my own parking lot or my own road, I DO NOT have to have a license, or license plate, or insurance.

    But if I utilize a shared road or bridge, I can be reasonably subject to regulation. Similarly, if Comcast runs cables through a shared resource, it can be subject to regulation from the owners of that resource.

  9. #169
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Comcast does not "own" the land either.
    So your'e saying that Comcast can do whatever it wants on land it doesn't own, and that's how a free market is supposed to work ?

  10. #170
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

    What?

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •