Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 330

Thread: Police:Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested[W:308

  1. #241
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,376

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I don't know if this individual has a history of unstable behavior, but this report suggests that he had recently begun to engage in what appears to be dysfunctional conduct. More about his past conduct will become known during the legal process, assuming he doesn't accept a plea bargain along the way.
    Well this is 2 fold.

    1) People who do this usually have a record. People don't start out at the tipping point.

    2) It is possible that he is suffering from senility or another mental degradation.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #242
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,376

    Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Prove it. Lets see the numbers.
    The question isn't can we produce it. It is will you accept it? You can easily find this on google. But I will explain it after I post it just so you cannot claim anything ridiculous:

    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont...cw_monthly.pdf

    A) This is a MONTHLY report kept BY the state of Florida department of agriculture, who is responsible for the issuance of licenses, and so you cannot:
    1)refute the "reliability" of this source. At least not rationally.
    2)This record is kept up to date (monthly) and has been tracked since10/1/1987 to present. So it is not "out of date" either.
    3)This source is directly relevant to disprove any claim that "concealed carriers" are generally unlawful, and it is to prove the opposite. Because the incident took place in Florida...the numbers are from Florida only.
    4)The shooter mentioned in this thread is NOT a permit holder. He is retired law enforcement and subject to concealed laws under a federal law. Google that for yourself.

    B) As for the numbers. Here they are listed and explained.
    1)2,581,087 concealed licenses have been issued since 10/1/1987 for the State of Florida.
    2)1,215,734 valid licenses currently. These licenses expire and must be renewed. Others choose to let them lapse.
    C) Now. You may discuss "revocation." It isn't a majority case. Here are the numbers SINCE 1987:
    1) 17,346 DENIED Applications because of:
    I)Criminal History:5,753
    II) Incomplete application: 11,593.

    This means licenses were never issued for these 17K+

    2) License Revocation: 8,153 (since 1987).
    I)Clemency Or Legislative rule Change:66
    II) Illegible prints: 11
    III)Crime PRIOR to Licensure: 524
    IV) Crime AFTER License: 7,430
    V) Firearm utilized in Crime: 168
    VI) Other: 22
    3) Reinstated: 854.

    Conclusion? Since 1987 Florida has only had 168 crimes committed with a firearm BY lawful concealed carry holders. More licenses have been reinstated than have used the gun in commission of a crime. And utilizing a firearm means that they had a gun to commit the crime. That does not imply fired it or murdered someone.

    So. Now the real question. Will you accept that concealed carriers infrequently commit crimes? Especially ones using firearms? Or will you deny?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #243
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,621

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So. Now the real question. Will you accept that concealed carriers infrequently commit crimes? Especially ones using firearms? Or will you deny?
    I actually have no doubt about this. Although I dont know how you can equate getting al license taken away by crime a whole accounting on crime.

    I did a quick google search and found this random info about SC. I assume its representative of most areas:
    ROBBERY

    So there were 6000 robberies in the state - HALF using firearms. only about 2000 were 'cleared' - meaning an arrest was made. Thats less than a third.

    But I'm sure its still a small number... because guys who get CC permits are following the law. People who dont obey the law and commit gun crimes dont tend to bother with permits.

    But thats still totally irrelevant to my point, which is that tens of thousands of people die by firearms each year in the US. And many people just think thats the cost of the freedom they enjoy to own their toys/security blankets. I think its a crappy trade off.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #244
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    But thats still totally irrelevant to my point, which is that tens of thousands of people die by firearms each year in the US. And many people just think thats the cost of the freedom they enjoy to own their toys/security blankets. I think its a crappy trade off.
    Remember, you say deaths because you want to deceive. 60% of the "deaths" are not murders, they are suicides.

    Hundreds of thousands are used for protection. I know that is a great trade off.

  5. #245
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,621

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Remember, you say deaths because you want to deceive. 60% of the "deaths" are not murders, they are suicides.

    Hundreds of thousands are used for protection. I know that is a great trade off.
    Well, suicides ARE deaths too.

    But the 15k figure is homicides.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #246
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Well, suicides ARE deaths too.

    But the 15k figure is homicides.
    Suicides are the majority of gun deaths.

    15k gun homicides? For what period of time over a year? Or is this non-recent data?

  7. #247
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Suicides are the majority of gun deaths.

    15k gun homicides? For what period of time over a year? Or is this non-recent data?
    It's per year. I'm surprised you're surprised.

    Now go look up how many gun homicides the UK and Canada have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

  8. #248
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    It's per year.
    Which year?

  9. #249
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Suicides are the majority of gun deaths.

    15k gun homicides? For what period of time over a year? Or is this non-recent data?
    I'll give you part of the answer. It's 42 in Great Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

  10. #250
    Educator ethanUNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Last Seen
    03-29-15 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    984

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Which year?
    It has been fairly consistent for many years. It was 11,000 in 2010.

    11,000 vs. 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't want a "comprehension of science"
    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Why aren't monkeys having human children?

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •