Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 330

Thread: Police:Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested[W:308

  1. #221
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Old boy should not be killed for texting.
    That we can debate. Not killed maybe, wounded a bit be okay with you?

  2. #222
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    You can't be daft enough to think this way.
    Well, there is the fact the now deceased fellow, as described, was being a major asshole. It seems he was used to being that way with no consequences and was amazed that some appeared.

  3. #223
    Educator straykatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    752

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    I disagree. As long as the movie hasn't started nobody should give a damn.
    There are people who enjoy the previews.

  4. #224
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The bulge in their jacket?
    Depends on weapon and clothing choice. I've seen .45 calibers that I could strap to my forearm in a long sleeve shirt and you would never know.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #225
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Yea, well, he claimed in court that he was in fear of being attacked.

    No shock there.

    That damn butter can be hot.

    Judge have him no bail on the murder 2 charges.

    A lot of his former cop buddies showed up in support, of course, and said he was not violent.

    One could say the same for about all of the recent shooters.
    I put about as much stock in the buddy's statements as I do when I see a kid who got murdered in a drug deal's neighborhood saying, "he was such a good kid", nevermind the rap sheet twenty pages long with major felonies.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #226
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Old boy should not be killed for texting.
    True, but I've wanted to give a few people a nasty right hook for having a phone with more lights than broadway right in my face for most of a movie.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I'd prefer we work harder to stop the root cause of crime rather than arming everyone to try and stop the end result of their failure to properly integrate into society.

    I've gone my entire life without carrying a gun to protect me, haven't needed one yet. I drive a vehicle daily, it is an integral part of U.S. society in most places. Driving is essential and extremely regulated.
    If it is indeed so regulated why do so many die in cars? I don't carry a gun every day either but I do have them in the house and I don't think the whole public pays the severe price because of a few **** ups.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    While I reserve judgment until the case goes to court, it seems to me that this case is less ambiguous than the Zimmerman one (less room for reasonable doubt). FWIW, I suspect Zimmerman would have been convicted under a lesser charge e.g., assault or even manslaughter, than second degree murder.

    In this case, news accounts suggest that there was an argument, but no use of physical force nor reasonable threat of a use of physical force. Furthermore, the victim's wife was keeping the two people apart. In addition, the victim had explicitly told the shooter that he had texted his young daughter. If these reports are accurate, this case appears to have been a use of excessive force with deadly results. Finally, while texting in a theater might be annoying to some people, there is no rational basis for the kind of confrontation that was provoked by the shooter. None.

    Barring new details that are not publicly available, I believe odds lean in favor of a conviction, even as I reserve final judgment on the matter.
    The biggest difference here is that there were dozens of witnesses. Not so with Zimmerman.

  9. #229
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    FWIW, I suspect Zimmerman would have been convicted under a lesser charge e.g., assault or even manslaughter, than second degree murder.
    Manslaughter was an option for the jury, Zimmerman was not convicted of that either.

  10. #230
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E Buster View Post
    The biggest difference here is that there were dozens of witnesses. Not so with Zimmerman.
    Well and the reason why they killed someone.

    Zimmerman had plenty if evidence to show that he was at least in a physical altercation.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •