Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 330

Thread: Police:Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested[W:308

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    That is grade A, 100%, FDA certified...Bull**** and you know it.

    Are you really defining a guy who shoots and kills someone as a good guy who: just had a bad day? No. This guy has a mental history. I can tell you this without looking. Why? People don't snap. Given his profession...law enforcement...he likely has a history. In fact they have a very high suicide rate.

    Perhaps if an actual good guy had been there we could have saved tax payer money for a trial and simply called the coroner for this **** bag.
    I'm in agreement that given the nature of his former profession, he is more than likely suffering from some type of mental health issue. Really, if you feel threatened by popcorn . . .

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    While I reserve judgment until the case goes to court, it seems to me that this case is less ambiguous than the Zimmerman one (less room for reasonable doubt). FWIW, I suspect Zimmerman would have been convicted under a lesser charge e.g., assault or even manslaughter, than second degree murder.

    In this case, news accounts suggest that there was an argument, but no use of physical force nor reasonable threat of a use of physical force. Furthermore, the victim's wife was keeping the two people apart. In addition, the victim had explicitly told the shooter that he had texted his young daughter. If these reports are accurate, this case appears to have been a use of excessive force with deadly results. Finally, while texting in a theater might be annoying to some people, there is no rational basis for the kind of confrontation that was provoked by the shooter. None.

    Barring new details that are not publicly available, I believe odds lean in favor of a conviction, even as I reserve final judgment on the matter.

  3. #203
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,522

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And yet...you and people like you DO ignore those 14,999 incidents. because they occur typically in minority communities with minority victims and minority perpetrators and you dont care enough about the victims to say anything about it and are too frightened to go into the communities to go after the perpetrators. So...instead...you cherry pick the occasional tragic incident as your 'cause'.
    And how do you know I'm not a minority living in a minority community?

    Love how you make assumptions though. It's funny.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #204
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    I was watching the Megyn Files and apparently the cop claims that the texter tried to slap him in addition. The cop then claims that this made him feel threatened and that's why he shot the guy.

    However once again multiple witnesses. None of them are corroborating his claim that the texter slapped him. So this cop is apparently a liar who tried to get away with murder and use his badge to get away with it.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #205
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    And how do you know I'm not a minority living in a minority community?

    Love how you make assumptions though. It's funny.
    I dont give a **** who you are or where you live. The absolute fact is you ignore them, REGARDLESS of who, where, and what you are.

  6. #206
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Nope.
    Yep..
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  7. #207
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,522

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont give a **** who you are or where you live. The absolute fact is you ignore them, REGARDLESS of who, where, and what you are.
    And you know this because I proactively brought it up on this thread?
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  8. #208
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    New report from CNN:

    A few weeks before a texting dispute turned deadly inside a Florida theater, suspect Curtis Reeves had another run-in with a moviegoer, prosecutors said...

    When the woman got up to use the restroom, Reeves followed her and "made her very uncomfortable," prosecutors said.
    This wasn't the first blow-up for Florida theater shooter - CNN.com

  9. #209
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    And you know this because I proactively brought it up on this thread?
    We know this because you and others like you remain silent on the day to day incidents of violence, the victims, and perpetrators and instead only surface when it is the 'right' victims and especially the 'right' shooters. People are shot, stabbed, hell, beaten to death with a baseball bat every day in this country. SEVERAL every day. And you say precisely jack ****. Kids are shot, beaten and stabbed on a pretty regular basis in schools. The overall numbers dwarf the few sensationalized incidents and you say nothing. Oh...but let it be a CCW holder or some cute little pink kids in a school...and you and people like you are all over it.

    Its not about victims...its about the 'cause' for you.

  10. #210
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,409

    Re: Police: Texting in movie theater sparks fatal shooting, retired officer arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    That is grade A, 100%, FDA certified...Bull**** and you know it.

    Are you really defining a guy who shoots and kills someone as a good guy who: just had a bad day? No. This guy has a mental history. I can tell you this without looking. Why? People don't snap. Given his profession...law enforcement...he likely has a history. In fact they have a very high suicide rate.

    Perhaps if an actual good guy had been there we could have saved tax payer money for a trial and simply called the coroner for this **** bag.
    Perhaps you don't understand psychology very well. People can be extremely impulsive. That is why guns are so dangerous with suicide. A person having a bad moment can take themselves out in less than a minute. If it weren't for the access to the firearm they likely would have calmed down before they drove their truck into a wall or jumped off the bridge.

    You also don't know if he had a history or not, perhaps he was a model citizen and officer up until this point. If so he was a "good guy" right up until he shot this guy.

    You really need to account for the human factor. People are not perfect and that's why we design systems to account for that.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •