Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 118

Thread: Religious Accommodation at York

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,409

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    It is blatant sexism which has no place in modern society.
    Who is to say? I think anyone that wants to forbid people living as they like is too illiberal and certainly not somebody I would vote for no matter how much I liked his/her other policies.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Americans would not have heard of this but recently at a university here in Canada called York University (one of the better universities) fulfilled a request form a student that he not have to interact with female students due to religious reasons. It is an online course with an in-class component that would have required him to work with other students. The professor refused to do it at first but was then forced to accept it. This decision instantly gained a lot of criticism from various critics including federal Justice Minister Peter McKay, calling it sexist and religious accommodation going too far. This has sparked debate about how far will religious accommodation go.

    I have to agree with the critics and the government, this is pure sexism and it has taken religious accommodation way too far. The York University staff should have just thrown the request back in the student's face and if he doesn't like it he doesn't have to go to university or preferably move to a country where that attitude is more tolerated. I would like to know what you think about this and if indeed religious accommodation has gone too far.

    This article is from the Globe and Mail and can be found here or any other Canadian news site for that matter.
    If the student doesn't like it he can transfer ..... No doubt the student in question is a Muslim.

    This would be no different if a student demanded that he was in an all white class (or all black class)..... It's disgusting - furthermore it's demanding that the university in question partake in segregation.

    I suppose there is nothing stopping the kid from attempting to form a study group that relies on notes to pass the class but that would be stupid too...

  3. #73
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    We are far more secular than you Americans and bowing to religious pressure of any kind is frowned upon by the government. Our schools are secular and will remain so. The student's religion was never revealed either, he may have been Jewish.

    heh, heh....Doubt it....But, have you ever been to a US campus? I doubt you would say that they bow to religion if you had.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #74
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,554

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Religions has no place in government and the sate must remain purely secular. Quebec seems to be doing the best so far expect they may be taking it a bit too far.
    Let me go as far as to say that "Religions" are weapons of mass distraction and has no place anywhere, but that's just my itty bitty opinion.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Let me go as far as to say that "Religions" are weapons of mass distraction and has no place anywhere, but that's just my itty bitty opinion.
    I keep my religion and faith to myself until people try to challenge religion as a whole - that's when I get upset.

    What I believe is no ones business other than me, my family and my friends who practice a long with me...

    There is no need to clump all religion into one "delusion" as most non-believers would call it. That would just be ignorant.

  6. #76
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Let me go as far as to say that "Religions" are weapons of mass distraction and has no place anywhere, but that's just my itty bitty opinion.
    Agreed, especially the Religion of the State.

  7. #77
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    heh, heh....Doubt it....But, have you ever been to a US campus? I doubt you would say that they bow to religion if you had.
    Yeah, even on a Christian university campus, I've never seen signs of a focus on religion, besides the name of the school.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #78
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,554

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I keep my religion and faith to myself until people try to challenge religion as a whole - that's when I get upset.

    What I believe is no ones business other than me, my family and my friends who practice a long with me...

    There is no need to clump all religion into one "delusion" as most non-believers would call it. That would just be ignorant.
    So noted, but I, like everyone else, is entitled to my opinion. Now obviously, how I perceive religion...is basically...how I perceive it and has no affect on the religions or their members. I'm not a violent person or a terrorist who want to eradicate people of a different belief.

    I don't have the power to simply erase religion from people's minds.

    But, I would if I could.....BUT I CAN'T!

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    So noted, but I, like everyone else, is entitled to my opinion. Now obviously, how I perceive religion...is basically...how I perceive it and has no affect on the religions or their members. I'm not a violent person or a terrorist who want to eradicate people of a different belief.

    I don't have the power to simply erase religion from people's minds.

    But, I would if I could.....BUT I CAN'T!
    The simple fact you want to eradicate religion speaks volumes. Are you a nonviolent individual who values the Bill of Rights or are you a totalitarian like Stalin? because in order to eradicate religion takes epic violence and totalitarian ideologies.

    Furthermore it takes a philosophy that will replace religion and the faith associated such as government (which creates totalitarian government)...

    There is no reason to be logically offended by the concept of religion - just the way a said religion is practiced....

    As a Christian my Church has an extremely humble service, we don't kill people or sacrifice animals or do anything remotely controversial, but on the other hand there are some extremist Muslims out there who believe it's God's will to kill people while using them as martyrs - or militantly shoving region down peoples throats when they don't want that.

    I suppose my point is that, maybe you should analyze how religions practice (of all faiths) and then attack the ones that actually do poison the world with their actions...

  10. #80
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,554

    Re: Religious Accommodation at York

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The simple fact you want to eradicate religion speaks volumes. Are you a nonviolent individual who values the Bill of Rights or are you a totalitarian like Stalin? because in order to eradicate religion takes epic violence and totalitarian ideologies.

    Furthermore it takes a philosophy that will replace religion and the faith associated such as government (which creates totalitarian government)...

    There is no reason to be logically offended by the concept of religion - just the way a said religion is practiced....

    As a Christian my Church has an extremely humble service, we don't kill people or sacrifice animals or do anything remotely controversial, but on the other hand there are some extremist Muslims out there who believe it's God's will to kill people while using them as martyrs - or militantly shoving region down peoples throats when they don't want that.

    I suppose my point is that, maybe you should analyze how religions practice (of all faiths) and then attack the ones that actually do poison the world with their actions...
    You points aren't logical. My not having religion doesn't make me any less respectful to my fellow beings. It doesn't make me want to eradicate human beings, just religious dogma. It doesn't make me not believe in rights...Bill of Rights or Human Rights.

    I probably have more concern and respect for human life than a lot of people who subscribe to religion.

    Being an atheist doesn't make me believe I have the right to be unlawful...or have less concern for humanity...or...all living things.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •