Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 90

Thread: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'[W:88]

  1. #11
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,404

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    While I think the lack of sufficient job growth is a huge problem, part of the decline in the labor force participation rate is due to aging baby boomers retiring and the generations replacing them (X and Y) not being as big.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #12
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    While I think the lack of sufficient job growth is a huge problem, part of the decline in the labor force participation rate is due to aging baby boomers retiring and the generations replacing them (X and Y) not being as big.
    490,000 boomers retired?

  3. #13
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    While I think the lack of sufficient job growth is a huge problem, part of the decline in the labor force participation rate is due to aging baby boomers retiring and the generations replacing them (X and Y) not being as big.
    Who would have thought that declining birth rates and an aging population would lead to a decrease in the labor participation rate!!

    IOW, once again the right demonstrates an inability to "connect the dots"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #14
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Who would have thought that declining birth rates and an aging population would lead to a decrease in the labor participation rate!!
    Is that what is was?

  5. #15
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    While I think the lack of sufficient job growth is a huge problem, part of the decline in the labor force participation rate is due to aging baby boomers retiring and the generations replacing them (X and Y) not being as big.
    You would think that is the case, but it isn't. The workforce participation rate for people over 55 has been around 40% since 2009.

    Non-farm job openings has been rising since the end of the recession, and currently sits around 4 million.

  6. #16
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,404

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    490,000 boomers retired?
    Starting January 1, 2011, an average of 10,000 Baby Boomers a day started turning 65. Baby Boomers Retire | Pew Research Center
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #17
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,404

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You would think that is the case, but it isn't. The workforce participation rate for people over 55 has been around 40% since 2009.

    Non-farm job openings has been rising since the end of the recession, and currently sits around 4 million.
    As I mentioned earlier, an average of 10,000 Baby Boomers hit retirement age a day now. Baby Boomers Retire | Pew Research Center

    The economist has a really good article on the the job numbers here: America's jobs report: Both better, and worse, than it looks | The Economist

    Not to say the numbers are not abysmal for December, but the picture is pretty complicated when you dig down into it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #18
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Starting January 1, 2011, an average of 10,000 Baby Boomers a day started turning 65. Baby Boomers Retire | Pew Research Center
    Was this backed into at a later date?

  9. #19
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, an average of 10,000 Baby Boomers hit retirement age a day now. Baby Boomers Retire | Pew Research Center

    The economist has a really good article on the the job numbers here: America's jobs report: Both better, and worse, than it looks | The Economist

    Not to say the numbers are not abysmal for December, but the picture is pretty complicated when you dig down into it.
    The economist article states that while 347k were dropped from the workforce, 332k of that was discouraged workers.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,289

    Re: Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce'
    11:28 AM, JAN 10, 2014 • BY DANIEL HALPER

    Alabama senator Jeff Sessions responds to the latest jobs report:

    Jeff Sessions
    "Today’s jobs report underscores a deeper problem facing our economy: a large and growing block of people who are chronically jobless and completely outside the workforce. In December, the economy added only 74,000 jobs – not nearly enough to keep up with population growth –and 347,000 left the workforce. That means for every one job added, nearly 5 people left the workforce entirely. There are now nearly 92 million Americans outside the workforce, resulting in the lowest participation rate in 36 years. The President’s immigration plan will only make things dramatically worse – and no amount of ‘promise zones’ will be a sufficient remedy for the millions of displaced workers.

    Sessions: 'For Every One Job Added, Nearly 5 People Left the Workforce' | The Weekly Standard
    Income in the US is very high compared to other countries and pay cannot be above productivity indefinitely. The drain comes from many things . For instance the States cannot continue to pay for security its competitors live in without helping and who sometimes drive up the costs as did Germany in the case of Iraq or Croatia.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •