Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 215

Thread: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

  1. #41
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Where did anyone say to stay on unemployment and pay NO bills? Sorry, but uprooting your family and abandoning a home that you are underwater on to work at a job that you will never pay off your debt on is just silly. Sorry ain't going to happen.
    There is an old saying "You go where the work is" I see you don't believer that statement. You suggest people stay on unemployment and STAY PUT.

    Right, because people on unemployment pay no bills whatsoever
    Unemployment bennifits are surly not going to pay the bills that you were making on your regular paycheck. Further unemployment bennifits RUN OUT.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    The current employment market shows a disturbing trend in the character of both individuals and government. There are clearly a large number of people who feel they are too good for a low paying job. But government actions are contradictory and counter productive. On one hand the new health care law encourages employers to reduce working hours, while at the same time attempts to buy votes by pushing higher minimum wages and extending unemployment. And then there is the push for amnesty to get people to fill those jobs that are available. When you put these factors together it becomes clear that the goal of the federal government is not to decrease unemployment at all, but to create a dependent underclass while dividing the population and pitting groups against each other. I'm not buying that our federal government is collectively too stupid to see it. I think they know exactly what they are doing, which is disturbing because it is very clear that their intent is to better their own positions rather than those of the citizens.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Think about the collective affects of some of our current laws. The health care law allows "kids" to stay on their parents' insurance until they are 26. At the same time employers are encouraged to reduce worker's hours. Add to that a predatory student loan program that ropes kids in to long term debt while they have little understanding of the consequences while making empty promises to them about their future prospects and you have a picture of a government making a concerted effort to create a generation of people who will be government dependent. They are pushed in to college before they have a goal for their future, signed up for long term debt they will have to start repaying upon graduation and employment, and then released in to a work environment of fewer hours with lower pay. It's no wonder they are not looking for work. They are a perfect mark for government dependency. They have enough liberal college education to think they know better, no job experience, two and a half decades of being taken care of and stiff penalties for gong out and making their own way. And we think the government has our best interests in mind?

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Which, of course, isn't true.
    Except it is. Only 60% of the labor force is working. If you don't work you don't pay payroll taxes.

  5. #45
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well, actually there are reasons they cannot move. If they are upside down on their home mortgage, they can't move. Just one example.
    Not all company's are willing to retrain - especially for skilled workers. Construction is skilled labor - you can't just hire someone who's been doing an office job for 5 years and make them into a welder or set I beams in concrete.
    Yeah. Pretty sure if I lose my software job, the local construction companies are NOT going to hire me to build houses. Not when they can get younger people with stronger backs.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    There is an old saying "You go where the work is" I see you don't believer that statement. You suggest people stay on unemployment and STAY PUT.

    Unemployment bennifits are surly not going to pay the bills that you were making on your regular paycheck. Further unemployment bennifits RUN OUT.
    Relocating a family is not free. Yes, the cost involved to continually move to "Where the work is at" is going to be exceedingly difficult for people with very little to no income that are struggling just to pay the bills they have.

    Somehow you think that a family with an underwater mortgage is just going to be able to uproot and move to a new location free of cost and start magically working. Doesn't work that way.

    That doesn't even include what a cost to "retrain" would be. The fantasy is those thinking that people can just switch jobs and move their entire family at a drop of ahat free of charge. And you would have to think it is free of charge, otherwise where are they going to get the money to relocate and retrain in the first place?

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    I don't trust a thing our government says. And that's from Obama on down
    That's your problem then, but even the right as a whole doesn't dispute the BLS numbers. If you choose to ignore reality, that's on you not me.

  8. #48
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Again, sounds like excuses.
    There are other reasons people won't relocate for a job. Maybe their spouse has a good job in the area. Maybe the schools their kids go to are very good for the kids - or the kids are getting extra help due to autism or something and they don't want to move them. Maybe they have elderly parents in the area that they are caregivers for. Maybe they have a closeknit family and don't want to move away from cousins, aunts, uncles.


    And it's expensive to move. It's hard to apply for a job in Kansas if you're living in Texas; you have to get there, apply, travel back home. Maybe it takes a couple trips, and companies don't always reimburse job seekers, especially if there are local candidates. Then if you get the job and you have to show up on Monday - pricey, again. Gotta travel there; get a temporary place to live while you start the job; support two places until you can move; and all the moving expenses.

    Call them excuses if you want to. Everyone balances out pros and cons and comes up with an answer that's right for them.

    I've had a sister back what she could fit into her car and drive across country for a job, leaving everything else behind. I couldn't do that, myself. Not in my nature.

    Oh - and what if they have animals? hard to relocate horses... dogs/cats you can move, but again - extra expense.

  9. #49
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Think about the collective affects of some of our current laws. The health care law allows "kids" to stay on their parents' insurance until they are 26. At the same time employers are encouraged to reduce worker's hours. Add to that a predatory student loan program that ropes kids in to long term debt while they have little understanding of the consequences while making empty promises to them about their future prospects and you have a picture of a government making a concerted effort to create a generation of people who will be government dependent. They are pushed in to college before they have a goal for their future, signed up for long term debt they will have to start repaying upon graduation and employment, and then released in to a work environment of fewer hours with lower pay. It's no wonder they are not looking for work. They are a perfect mark for government dependency. They have enough liberal college education to think they know better, no job experience, two and a half decades of being taken care of and stiff penalties for gong out and making their own way. And we think the government has our best interests in mind?
    Nothing like a blanket statement about a whole generation.

    My stepkids are each working two part-time jobs; yes, they are on my insurance (which I pay for) but thank goodness they are covered. They're working their butts off, but don't have full-time jobs that pay health care.

    When they lose a job for whatever reason (latest was the state govt stopped funding the program for new mothers that she worked for) they hustle and get jobs. One of them was unemployed for two months; yes, she used food stamps, but she hustled and got a job after those two months. Glad she had the food stamps to help her out.

    So when you say kids are lazy, you aren't paying attention.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    There are other reasons people won't relocate for a job. Maybe their spouse has a good job in the area. Maybe the schools their kids go to are very good for the kids - or the kids are getting extra help due to autism or something and they don't want to move them. Maybe they have elderly parents in the area that they are caregivers for. Maybe they have a closeknit family and don't want to move away from cousins, aunts, uncles.


    And it's expensive to move. It's hard to apply for a job in Kansas if you're living in Texas; you have to get there, apply, travel back home. Maybe it takes a couple trips, and companies don't always reimburse job seekers, especially if there are local candidates. Then if you get the job and you have to show up on Monday - pricey, again. Gotta travel there; get a temporary place to live while you start the job; support two places until you can move; and all the moving expenses.

    Call them excuses if you want to. Everyone balances out pros and cons and comes up with an answer that's right for them.

    I've had a sister back what she could fit into her car and drive across country for a job, leaving everything else behind. I couldn't do that, myself. Not in my nature.

    Oh - and what if they have animals? hard to relocate horses... dogs/cats you can move, but again - extra expense.
    Point being, why should I have to pay for these excuses? For someone who has a horse, who wont move, who doesn't want to leave family? How do we know any of these are even true? Does anyone hold people accountable? Of course not, theres just faceless bureaucrats handing out MY money to faceless unemployed.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •