Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 215

Thread: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, the distinction "EVERY SINGLE thing" is YOUR descriptor. I didn't say that...My sentence was direct, and simple enough to understand, and you confirmed it.
    And what you quoted me saying is :

    Do they lie? Yes. Is EVERYTHING a lie? No.

    Again, nobody of sanity even on the right disputes the BLS numbers which show BOTH figures of unemployment, the U3 and U6.

    Yes, politicians lie (all of them), the trick is to know WHAT they are lying about. The numbers as a whole are not disputed even by the majority of the right. Yes, there will be a conspiracy theorist that thinks EVERYTHING is a lie.
    Nothing I said was incorrect. If someone believes EVERYTHING (i.e. Every single thing (that's what everything means genius)), then they are a kook.

  2. #182
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And what you quoted me saying is :



    Nothing I said was incorrect. If someone believes EVERYTHING (i.e. Every single thing (that's what everything means genious)), then they are a kook.
    Good grief, you don't even see it do you? I didn't say that anything you said was necessarily incorrect, I am talking about how you set the premise...You do understand that don't you?

    You in the quoted post set up a thinly veiled strawman that while barely addressed the current numbers, was meant to label anyone who disagreed with you as exactly whom you were describing with your slurs.

    Notice how much trouble you having defending that? That is not because your prose of "yes government lies", or "the trick is to know about what" is wrong, it is that you took something that no one is doing, ie; "EVERYTHING" and applied it to those that disagree with you about these numbers that we have been seeing coming out of the Obama administration.

    I hope this helps you understand.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Good grief, you don't even see it do you? I didn't say that anything you said was necessarily incorrect, I am talking about how you set the premise...You do understand that don't you?

    You in the quoted post set up a thinly veiled strawman that while barely addressed the current numbers, was meant to label anyone who disagreed with you as exactly whom you were describing with your slurs.

    Notice how much trouble you having defending that? That is not because your prose of "yes government lies", or "the trick is to know about what" is wrong, it is that you took something that no one is doing, ie; "EVERYTHING" and applied it to those that disagree with you about these numbers that we have been seeing coming out of the Obama administration.

    I hope this helps you understand.
    There is a difference between disagreeing with the numbers and flat out saying the government is lying about ALL the numbers. Yes, there is a difference. Sorry you can't see that nor understand it. Not my problem. If you want to join the kook group of "Everything the government says is lies", be my guest. That's YOUR problem, not mine. I layed out VERY clearly what I said and your attempts to distort it have failed.

  4. #184
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    There is a difference between disagreeing with the numbers and flat out saying the government is lying about ALL the numbers. Yes, there is a difference. Sorry you can't see that nor understand it. Not my problem. If you want to join the kook group of "Everything the government says is lies", be my guest. That's YOUR problem, not mine. I layed out VERY clearly what I said and your attempts to distort it have failed.
    I am not distorting anything, that is you now lying about me personally....It is there in black and white, people can read, and that is the problem you have...No matter how you try to userp my wording, and turn it on me it won't work.

    See what is interesting is that now you try to change what you said...By introducing "the numbers" into it as if that is all you originally meant....We know better TNE, and you don't fool a single person. I think you know better, and now are lashing out wildly...It is unbecoming....Just accept that you were called out, and revealed. In the future your posts should be better thought out before you try and smear those that disagree with you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #185
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    I personally am in awe of how the math changed on the unemployment, such that, we fall far short of the 300,000+ jobs we need in December to keep our economy running and yet the official unemployment rate drops from 7% to 6.7%. While that number is deceptive in that, so many have stopped looking for work, the math continues to play to uninformed voters who are not aware of the U3, U4, U5 and U6 break out and think that 6.7% is better... when in actuality it's playing hide the pickle with the statistics.... ie., a lie. The U6 is the broadest view of unemployment and shows everything. The U6 for December was 13.1%. The best way to understand unemployment is to understand U1 through U6 and to look at them all, and not just swallow the U3 numbers which are heavily reported. Most people will roll their eyes at trying to understand six different calculations of unemployment.

    U1 : Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
    U2 : Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
    U3 : Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
    U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
    U5 : U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
    U6 : U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,285

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    We're not hemorrhaging hundreds of thousands of jobs like we were at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009?
    Yet we are hemorrhaging people looking for work because there isn't any work to be found.
    But on the plus side the number on extended unemployment compensation has ballooned and we have managed to lower expectations such that many people are relegated to working part time ... that appears to appeal to guys like a351 a great deal because it makes the U3 look better than it really is.
    Yet there is a lesson to be observed ...
    Art to one guy is simply a jar of piss to another (but, truth be told, the dirty secret is they both know it ain't art)

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,285

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Reality is Obama lies, HHS lies, IRS lies, DOJ lies, etc etc.
    Purely by coincidence, I saw this today ...

    obama - chicago.jpg

  8. #188
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I personally am in awe of how the math changed on the unemployment, such that, we fall far short of the 300,000+ jobs we need in December to keep our economy running and yet the official unemployment rate drops from 7% to 6.7%. While that number is deceptive in that, so many have stopped looking for work, the math continues to play to uninformed voters who are not aware of the U3, U4, U5 and U6 break out and think that 6.7% is better... when in actuality it's playing hide the pickle with the statistics.... ie., a lie. The U6 is the broadest view of unemployment and shows everything. The U6 for December was 13.1%. The best way to understand unemployment is to understand U1 through U6 and to look at them all, and not just swallow the U3 numbers which are heavily reported. Most people will roll their eyes at trying to understand six different calculations of unemployment.

    U1 : Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
    U2 : Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
    U3 : Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
    U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
    U5 : U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
    U6 : U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.

    THANK YOU!!!! This is a prime example of how DC lies to us on a regular basis....And for those that just want to dismiss this on basis of political leaning, rest assured that Obama is not the first to manipulate these numbers.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #189
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    And you know that how? Just because you hate your job is no reason to assume all Americans are like you, jealous of those that can't find a decent job.
    I far from hate my job. I love it.

    I've worked for 35 years and been unemployed all of 15 days. It's out there if you are willing to do it. Many simply aren't willing to work unless it overpays them and allows for a sick day every week.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    That's just plainly wrong. No data to support that assertion whatsoever.
    And in Detroit, the effective unemployment rate is near 30 percent, even higher than that in certain demographics.

    People are dropping out of the "actively searching" workforce in droves.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •