Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 215

Thread: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

  1. #91
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    The reasoning would lie in the fact that the U-6 figures include roughly 10 million individuals who are employed, hence its obvious limitations as an unemployment rate.
    Yeah, OK. I can see that.

    I suppose you could use the U6 number if you wanted to measure those who 'wanted' a job or better job, but haven't found one.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,315

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Erm.. LOL? Your claim that those who have become discouraged outnumber those who have found employment by a 3 to 1 margin is plainly wrong. You also seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly what these figures represent.
    Review the posts ... the 3 to 1 comment was relevant to the U6 vs U3 topic ... U4 is higher than U3 which means job creation ain't keeping up.
    If you insist the job creation number is doing well then there is nothing else to say.

  3. #93
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Review the posts ... the 3 to 1 comment was relevant to the U6 vs U3 topic ... U4 is higher than U3 which means job creation ain't keeping up
    It means nothing of the sort! The U4 is a combination of all unemployed and all discouraged. Quite literally the only way the U4 could be lower is if the number of discouraged workers dipped into the negative.

  4. #94
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    It means nothing of the sort! The U4 is a combination of all unemployed and all discouraged. Quite literally the only way the U4 could be lower is if the number of discouraged workers dipped into the negative.
    Ahh, wouldn't it be nice if the number of discouraged workers were actually zero? *sigh* That's be very nice. Totally unrealistic, but it'd still be nice.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,315

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    It means nothing of the sort! The U4 is a combination of all unemployed and all discouraged. Quite literally the only way the U4 could be lower is if the number of discouraged workers dipped into the negative.
    •U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    The problem is that progressives only understand "safety net" and "collectivism" - not individualism or personal financial responsibility.

    In progressiveland the government exists to financially support you - and that breeds a **** ton of lazy clowns that don't know how to do a damn thing other than suck off the governments teat. This is why it's more logical to continue to accept unemployment and welfare rather than get a part time job - because the benefits exceed what a part time job can provide.. The problem is that the majority of available jobs are PART TIME - sadly but true (thanks Obamacare).

  7. #97
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    •U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
    Yes and? Still trying to wrap your head around the fact that the U4 quite literally cannot be lower than the U3? The U4 has steadily declined since the end of the recession, while employment has increased by over 6 million. Your claim was unfortunately centered around a fundamental error in your understanding of the data.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Yes and? Still trying to wrap your head around the fact that the U4 quite literally cannot be lower than the U3? The U4 has steadily declined since the end of the recession, while employment has increased by over 6 million. Your claim was unfortunately centered around a fundamental error in your understanding of the data.
    You think the recession is over?

    Everything you say is absolute bull****...

    If everything you said was true than there would be JOBS and FULL MALLS and FULL MINI MALLS and a THRIVING ECONOMY where businesses are in business to hire and expand...

    Your sunshine and rainbows bull**** is annoying...

    Reality check - go outside!

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,315

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Yes and? Still trying to wrap your head around the fact that the U4 quite literally cannot be lower than the U3? The U4 has steadily declined since the end of the recession, while employment has increased by over 6 million.
    Your claim was unfortunately centered around a fundamental error in your understanding of the data
    .
    Nope ... the definition tells the story.
    Your conclusion is simplistic ... faulty.
    Your conclusion seems to be that as long as there are some jobs being created all is well since every other jobs classification measurement is holding steady ... they ain't, my brother.
    Did you know that currently the Government considers you to be in the U3 group only if you've been looking for work in the last 4 weeks?
    That should help disguise how crappy the unemployment really is and enable Administration supporters to keep the scam going.

  10. #100
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: U.S. economy adds just 74,000 jobs in December

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Review the posts ... the 3 to 1 comment was relevant to the U6 vs U3 topic ... U4 is higher than U3 which means job creation ain't keeping up.
    If you insist the job creation number is doing well then there is nothing else to say.
    Businesses usually hire additional seasonal employees in December for the holidays. That 47,000 new hire number seems very low to me for a national count. It will be interesting to see the January figure.

    Greetings, Bubba.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •