Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 175

Thread: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

  1. #61
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I was going to ask, but no, you don't realise how silly you sound saying that.
    Why is it silly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #62
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What worked?? Atomic bombs on non military targets or carpet bombing entire cities to make sure you got all the bad guys?
    Both, obviously.

    There were 15,000 French civilians killed during Operation Overlord. It was an acceptable by-product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Both, obviously.

    There were 15,000 French civilians killed during Operation Overlord. It was an acceptable by-product.
    Yes of course. So long as YOU'RE not the bi-product! "By-product" softer gentler words for the misery of death on the battlefield. Say, I was wondering, do you suppose that it was "acceptable" to the 15,000 "by-product"?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #64
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes of course. So long as YOU'RE not the bi-product! "By-product" softer gentler words for the misery of death on the battlefield. Say, I was wondering, do you suppose that it was "acceptable" to the 15,000 "by-product"?
    If they don't want to be the by-product, they need to clean up their own backyard. But, as long as they harbor people that murder thousands of Americans, yhey can expect to get caught in the crossfire.

    Millions of Germans wouldn't have died during WW2, had they not followed the Nazis into hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You can not fix an inferior culture that does not respect the most basic human rights. Might as well be trying to win the hearts and minds of a school of piranhas.
    how ethnocentric of you. That 'inferior' culture has repelled many 'superior' cultures since the time of Rudyard Kipling. ALL cultures disrespect some basic human right or another. What we think are basic rights in this country is a hot topic of discussion. Race, abortion, gay rights... you know the drill.

    In a way it is like going into the desert and faulting the flora there for not being redwoods. The climate and conditions do not support that.

    I'd say someone from an 'inferior' culture could come to this nation and watch thief at the point of a pistol or pen, see the future for sale in the halls of power, damning each other from the pulpit or town square and wonder how can 'goodness' survive in a nation of cannibals.

  6. #66
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    how ethnocentric of you. That 'inferior' culture has repelled many 'superior' cultures since the time of Rudyard Kipling. ALL cultures disrespect some basic human right or another. What we think are basic rights in this country is a hot topic of discussion. Race, abortion, gay rights... you know the drill.

    In a way it is like going into the desert and faulting the flora there for not being redwoods. The climate and conditions do not support that.

    I'd say someone from an 'inferior' culture could come to this nation and watch thief at the point of a pistol or pen, see the future for sale in the halls of power, damning each other from the pulpit or town square and wonder how can 'goodness' survive in a nation of cannibals.

    You are always right there to defend female genital mutilation, honor killings and forced marriages, aren't you?

    Oops -- make that a "progressive" enslavement and degradation of women. Sounds so much easier to swallow if you consider your support for the brutalization of women as something "progressive" , doesn't it?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #67
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    how ethnocentric of you. That 'inferior' culture has repelled many 'superior' cultures since the time of Rudyard Kipling.
    Yeah, the nazi had some success as well, but they were still ****s. And the idea that I need to respect the deficencies in another culture, when they have serious real world consequences for the individual, is hilarious. And is the type of bastardized thinking that highlights how many "multiculturists" basically apply the type of soft expectations, dependent on skin color, that could best be described as racist

    In a way it is like going into the desert and faulting the flora there for not being redwoods. The climate and conditions do not support that.
    No, it actually isn't because people have free will and choice. Being brown doesn't neccesitate that you stone some chic for getting raped

    I'd say someone from an 'inferior' culture could come to this nation and watch thief at the point of a pistol or pen, see the future for sale in the halls of power, damning each other from the pulpit or town square and wonder how can 'goodness' survive in a nation of cannibals.
    you mean corruption in the halls of govt? We actively try to deal with that, not excuse it as some consequence of our nature

  8. #68
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If they don't want to be the by-product, they need to clean up their own backyard. But, as long as they harbor people that murder thousands of Americans, yhey can expect to get caught in the crossfire.

    Millions of Germans wouldn't have died during WW2, had they not followed the Nazis into hell.
    By that virtue 4,800 US soldiers wouldn't have died had they not followed Bush into a war waged on false pretence.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why is it silly?
    So bombing innocents is okay by you? So what they do is okay as well? See how that works? Excusing carpet bombing as acceptable is accepting car bombs, ieds, and suicide bombers hitting soft targets.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  10. #70
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How hard is it to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan? Very hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    how ethnocentric of you. That 'inferior' culture has repelled many 'superior' cultures since the time of Rudyard Kipling. ALL cultures disrespect some basic human right or another. What we think are basic rights in this country is a hot topic of discussion. Race, abortion, gay rights... you know the drill.

    In a way it is like going into the desert and faulting the flora there for not being redwoods. The climate and conditions do not support that.

    I'd say someone from an 'inferior' culture could come to this nation and watch thief at the point of a pistol or pen, see the future for sale in the halls of power, damning each other from the pulpit or town square and wonder how can 'goodness' survive in a nation of cannibals.
    Outstanding point. The argument in this post can not be broken!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •