Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    What led his parents to raise him this way? What led their parents to raise them that way? It's a cycle, and it is caused and perpetuated by thug/gang culture that is largely caused by the drug war and poverty.
    I agree, but the black and Hispanic community has a much higher rate of poverty than any other group. There are other underlying problems besides just poverty in and of itself.

    The poverty rate represents an average over the entire population and does not really tell us who is well-off and who is worse off. Blacks and Hispanics have poverty rates that greatly exceed the average. The poverty rate for all blacks and Hispanics remained near 30 percent during the 1980s and mid-1990s. Thereafter it began to fall. In 2000, the rate for blacks dropped to 22.1 percent and for Hispanics to 21.2 percent—the lowest rate for both groups since the United States began measuring poverty. By 2010, however, the poverty rate for both groups had risen to around 27 percent.
    Who is poor? | Institute for Research on Poverty | University of Wisconsin–Madison

  2. #32
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree, but the black and Hispanic community has a much higher rate of poverty than any other group. There are other underlying problems besides just poverty in and of itself.



    Who is poor? | Institute for Research on Poverty | University of Wisconsin–Madison
    At least in part the culture that some of these parents (like the ones in this video) embrace and pass onto their kids keep them trapped in poverty. This isn't unique to blacks or hispanics because poor white parents who are ****ty parents don't give their kids much of a chance either. However the more a culture embraces poverty, crime, and gang banger or thug mentalities the harder it is going to be for the people embracing that culture to overcome poverty.

    I am not saying that is the only factor because poor people of all races are subjected to society that wants to keep them poor however parents can give their kids a better chance.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #33
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    At least in part the culture that some of these parents (like the ones in this video) embrace and pass onto their kids keep them trapped in poverty. This isn't unique to blacks or hispanics because poor white parents who are ****ty parents don't give their kids much of a chance either. However the more a culture embraces poverty, crime, and gang banger or thug mentalities the harder it is going to be for the people embracing that culture to overcome poverty.

    I am not saying that is the only factor because poor people of all races are subjected to society that wants to keep them poor however parents can give their kids a better chance.
    Remember that the parent, in this case, is now 16 years old and that grandma is a convicted felon.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #34
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Remember that the parent, in this case, is now 16 years old and that grandma is a convicted felon.
    Which is showing 3 generations stuck in poverty by that mentality and the younger kids from the way it looks right now doesnt have much chance of overcoming it. And if he has that same mentality his dad has (seems likely from that video) then he's going to pass that on to his kids and so on. When you have a significant portion of black youths being exposed to that type of mentality, to me it makes sense that that mentality is at least part of the reason why the poverty levels among them is higher.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #35
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Which is showing 3 generations stuck in poverty by that mentality and the younger kids from the way it looks right now doesnt have much chance of overcoming it. And if he has that same mentality his dad has (seems likely from that video) then he's going to pass that on to his kids and so on. When you have a significant portion of black youths being exposed to that type of mentality, to me it makes sense that that mentality is at least part of the reason why the poverty levels among them is higher.
    That was the uncle shooting the video, so far no word on the "baby daddy". Four children (including the mother?) were recently removed from that household by CPS. The idea of paying morons to beget more morons is never going to end poverty, but it does buy votes and keep them a bit more peaceful.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #36
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    If this isn't child endangerment or child abuse, I don't know what is.

    Great parents or family that kid grows up in. When this kid grows up and kills someone during a hold up or drug exchange or as part of a street gang - we now can know why.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #37
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That was the uncle shooting the video, so far no word on the "baby daddy". Four children (including the mother?) were recently removed from that household by CPS. The idea of paying morons to beget more morons is never going to end poverty, but it does buy votes and keep them a bit more peaceful.
    what's the answer
    license breeding
    eliminate taxpayer benefits needed by the child
    place all the kids in bad homes into good ones ... then where to find so many good homes. and at what cost
    so, we agree and recognize that there is a problem on display here. what is the solution
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #38
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what's the answer
    license breeding
    eliminate taxpayer benefits needed by the child
    place all the kids in bad homes into good ones ... then where to find so many good homes. and at what cost
    so, we agree and recognize that there is a problem on display here. what is the solution
    Education and opportunity.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what's the answer
    license breeding
    eliminate taxpayer benefits needed by the child
    place all the kids in bad homes into good ones ... then where to find so many good homes. and at what cost
    so, we agree and recognize that there is a problem on display here. what is the solution
    How about exercising the same level of compassion for children as we do for puppies - if the person would be refused the adoption of a puppy from the shelter then they are unfit as a parent as well. This is not some magical, mystical problem; after 50 years of keeping the national poverty level at about a constant 15%, at a cost of about $1 trillion/year, it is time to try a plan B. Paying morons to beget more morons has been shown to have failed as a poverty elimination program.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 01-10-14 at 02:38 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,869

    Re: Police union responds to controversial, viral toddler video

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Education and opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Good luck with this kid when he reaches school...no respect, no discipline, destined for conflicting with authority and failure.
    ..................................
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •