What Rand Paul is doing is brilliant fund raising and soliciting diehard supporters.
Here is what I predict is exactly what will happen:
1. Rand Paul will be sending fund-raising emails and letters to everyone who signs who gives such contact information. Even if it only averages $10 a person, so far that's $2.5 million. Many will give much, much more and more than onec.
2. Those people also will be receiving newsletters by email and some by mail that are directly from Rand Paul and from PACs that support Rand Paul - overtly and covertly.
3. A lawsuit may or may not actually be filed. It will never go to trial.
4. At some point, likely never directly mentioning the potential lawsuit, the NSA will issue so statement thru some political type with the Obama Administration that they are reviewing their practices and have made some changes. Whether the NSA actually makes those changes in reality is another matter.
5. No lawsuit will be filed or if one filed it will be dropped, for which Rand Paul will claim victory - both to the press and more importantly to all those who signed up - declaring this proves their power and congratulating everyone who did sign up for the victory - "but there is still more to be done!"
6. This will be followed by a steady flow of websites being launched by those followers, You Tube videos they put up and a huge Twitter flow, plus blogs and forum raiding. His newly identified followers will receive a steady flow of alarmist emails - directly and moreso indirectly - of all the terrible things the government has done or secretly is planning. In this, he will also round up the 9-11 and other conspiracy folks - who tend to be very vocal, very militant and some will work like hell in his campaign. This gives him a massive, free campaign staff of sorts.
Again, it is brilliant tactically. It is like his father to the 10th power in terms of building his base and for fund-raising.