Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 199

Thread: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

  1. #161
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'll put a number on it.

    According to UC Davis, a full-time minimum wage employee currently earns $15,080 annually. I think a living wage is closer to $40,000 annually, and we should make the necessary changes to ensure that happens.
    Wow you are funny.

  2. #162
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Didn't you say you make $60k? You'd still be making $20k per year more than these guys. I'm not sure why that's unsettling to you. It's not like your taxes would go up to pay for it. I say we should institute an additional 20% tax on the millionaires and billionaires (top 1 percent) and use that money to directly redistribute to the poorest Americans in the form of a check in the mail.

    It's ungodly how much these CEO's make. Believe me, they can afford to have 20 percent of their salaries slashed so that everyone else can live a decent life.
    How much of what you make are you willing to give to the poorest Americans, if you can find any.

  3. #163
    User hjl1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    07-31-17 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    87

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You might want $160k per year, that doesn't mean you're going to get it. All I'm saying is that there should be a floor, nobody should make less than $40k per year. That doesn't mean everyone else automatically gets a raise.
    So we make everyone else take a pay cut is what you are saying?

  4. #164
    User hjl1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    07-31-17 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    87

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Are you suggesting that most people are where they want to be in life? Profound insight.
    I'm saying at one point in the past every person made the choices they wanted to and have to live with those decisions in the now present time. Many people choose to take the easy way out, like dropping out of college, not saving for retirement, buying tv's with credit cards, etc. They have a tough day at work and walk out, they get wasted all weekend and then aren't productive half the week.

    If you didn't want to work at Mcdonalds, you shouldn't have dropped out of college because you never went to class because "Life is too short" was more important than focusing on your future five years ago.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by hjl1991 View Post
    I'm saying at one point in the past every person made the choices they wanted to and have to live with those decisions in the now present time. Many people choose to take the easy way out, like dropping out of college, not saving for retirement, buying tv's with credit cards, etc. They have a tough day at work and walk out, they get wasted all weekend and then aren't productive half the week.

    If you didn't want to work at Mcdonalds, you shouldn't have dropped out of college because you never went to class because "Life is too short" was more important than focusing on your future five years ago.
    On this we are in agreement.

  6. #166
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Ok Peter, I want to break this down further, because you have made some rather insulting assumptions here that I don't think you intended, but none the less exist. So....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Didn't you say you make $60k? You'd still be making $20k per year more than these guys.
    I worked 20 years, and maintained a clean driving record for that 20 years while driving 150,000 miles per year, and driving everything imaginable, long hours, for little pay, and OTR (Over the Road) for years to get to the point I am now. For you to say, or better dismiss that my salary now as compared to a minimum wage McD's worker with less than 6 months at that job, that they should make only $20K less than me is ridiculously insulting. What makes that McD's worker worth that much?

    I'm not sure why that's unsettling to you.
    It is "unsettling", your word here not mine, because when you have an entry level job like fast food, or grocery store stocking, or WalMart worker, and their wage just arbitrarily raised to levels that many paths of other high school educated workforce that took them years to achieve, just because you do a couple of things...

    1. You take away incentive for people to move on from these jobs, thereby increasing the unemployment problem for those entering the workforce in the future.

    2. You instantly increase the cost of goods and services, because if the average fast food entry level worker is making $19.23 per hour based on a 40 hour work week to arrive at your $40K number, then the cost of every other worker out there in jobs also rises to applicable rates, ie; my job for example then rises to $76.92 per hour....And the cost of every good, or service in turn rises...So, in the end that $40K all of the sudden buy's the same as $16K does today...Then what? Raise it to $100K?

    It's not like your taxes would go up to pay for it.
    My taxes are constantly going up. Last year, I made about the same as this year...Last year I paid about $8k in withholding federally, and this year, I paid over $10K So what are you talking about?

    I say we should institute an additional 20% tax on the millionaires and billionaires (top 1 percent) and use that money to directly redistribute to the poorest Americans in the form of a check in the mail.
    Peter, I assume you are a believing man, after all you used to use the Catholic symbol for Christ as your avatar. Stealing from those whom have succeeded, and redistributing to those whom have not, is a failing strategy...The best way to bring these people up, is to have a more open model of capitalism.

    It's ungodly how much these CEO's make. Believe me, they can afford to have 20 percent of their salaries slashed so that everyone else can live a decent life.
    I would ask you just who the hell do you think you are to say that someone else can, or can't afford something? What an arrogant, assuming position to take. The "wealthy" now pay something like 76% of all federal income taxes collected, and 47% pay nothing at all, and in fact get a return in the form of "earned income credits" (what a joke of a name) And you want more?

    Why would ANYONE with the ability to create a successful business in this day and age do that here with thinking like yours? In your world success is punished.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Neo marxism. Did you think your ideas were novel?
    Novelty has nothing to do with how good an idea is, I don't really care about that. Neither does using words like "communist" or "marxism" scare anyone off today.

    The days of the evil red bogeyman and mccarthyism are over. The Soviet Union has been gone for 25 years, speaking of novelty.

    But no, income tax is hardly a novel idea.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    They can live on what they make if they control their expenses, but most don't.
    It's not just about being able to live on it, they should be able to fully participate in society.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by hjl1991 View Post
    So we make everyone else take a pay cut is what you are saying?
    No, everyone else stays the same, but the richest 1% take a 20% pay cut.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Novelty has nothing to do with how good an idea is, I don't really care about that. Neither does using words like "communist" or "marxism" scare anyone off today.

    The days of the evil red bogeyman and mccarthyism are over. The Soviet Union has been gone for 25 years, speaking of novelty.

    But no, income tax is hardly a novel idea.
    Stop dancing, I didn't say novelty meant a good idea. Your ideas (im sure you think by pure coincidence) are simply already discredited neo marxist dribble.

    The "red boogeyman" attempt to distract is also bogus. Marxism is alive and well.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •