Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 199

Thread: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Russia was a backwaters country at the periphery of world powers in the early 20th century. By the end of the 20th Century it was graduating the top scientists, producing boodles of goods and saw a remarkable increase in the standard of living for most of it's citizens. There were gross human rights violations under the communist and I wouldn't choose to live in the Soviet Union...but I wouldn't prefer to live in the "Democratic" Russia that exists now over the US.

    I'm not advocating communism but this idea that it destroyed the Soviet Union is bogus. What destroyed the Soviet Union was corruption and trying to keep up with the US militarily.
    You obviously have no knowledge about what life was like in the old Soviet Union or Eastern Europe during the Communist decades. You should move your debate to other areas with which you are more familiar.

  2. #132
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    People want a job that provides them a living wage, which I think is something society should guarantee.
    Actually I want a job that provides more than a "living" wage, so I decided to work hard, get educated, and find a good paying job. Of course that doesn't say much in itself since no one can quantify a living wage.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If they weren't happy they wouldn't have taken the job.
    That too is an assumption. I suspect a false one as well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #134
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You obviously have no knowledge about what life was like in the old Soviet Union or Eastern Europe during the Communist decades. You should move your debate to other areas with which you are more familiar.
    You obviously have no knowledge what Russia was like under the Czars. You should move your debate to other areas with which you are more familiar
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Actually I want a job that provides more than a "living" wage, so I decided to work hard, get educated, and find a good paying job. Of course that doesn't say much in itself since no one can quantify a living wage.
    I'll put a number on it.

    According to UC Davis, a full-time minimum wage employee currently earns $15,080 annually. I think a living wage is closer to $40,000 annually, and we should make the necessary changes to ensure that happens.

  6. #136
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'll put a number on it.

    According to UC Davis, a full-time minimum wage employee currently earns $15,080 annually. I think a living wage is closer to $40,000 annually, and we should make the necessary changes to ensure that happens.
    Minimum wage is a false construct created by unions, among others to benchmark their own bargaining interests. For example I am a company truck driver, with over 20 years experience. I make about 60k per year. You move minimum wage to $40k per year and I then want $160k per year. What do you think happens to the cost of your goods at that point? And that is just one aspect of what your silly idea of "living wage" just because gets you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'll put a number on it.

    According to UC Davis, a full-time minimum wage employee currently earns $15,080 annually. I think a living wage is closer to $40,000 annually, and we should make the necessary changes to ensure that happens.
    By giving out handouts and subsidizing failure?

    When you subsidize something-you get more of it.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Minimum wage is a false construct created by unions, among others to benchmark their own bargaining interests. For example I am a company truck driver, with over 20 years experience. I make about 60k per year. You move minimum wage to $40k per year and I then want $160k per year. What do you think happens to the cost of your goods at that point? And that is just one aspect of what your silly idea of "living wage" just because gets you.
    You might want $160k per year, that doesn't mean you're going to get it. All I'm saying is that there should be a floor, nobody should make less than $40k per year. That doesn't mean everyone else automatically gets a raise.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    By giving out handouts and subsidizing failure?

    When you subsidize something-you get more of it.
    How is working as a firefighter or flipping burgers being a failure? I think everyone A.) Has a right and a responsibility to work and B.) Is entitled to a living wage.

  10. #140
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You might want $160k per year, that doesn't mean you're going to get it. All I'm saying is that there should be a floor, nobody should make less than $40k per year. That doesn't mean everyone else automatically gets a raise.
    And you think that making burgers 30 hours a week is worth $40k?

    As to your automatic raise comment, if an unskilled part timer demands $40k then I demand $160k. And I am worth that much more than the order taker at McD. You think we aren't? Just look around you. I and my brother's and sister's brought to you EVERYTHING you have.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •