Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

  1. #51
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    If Boeing fails because they refuse to pay reasonable wages to retain their specialized workforce, that failure squarely falls on management. I'm not claiming that Boeing is going to collapse tomorrow, but continuing to make these kind of stupid mistakes will have consequences down the road.
    What is a "reasonable wage"? For instance, using glassdoor.com I compared wages and came up with this...

    Engineer in SC = $73,607.

    Production assembly = $15. P/Hr. to $20. P/Hr.

    vs.

    Engineer in WA. = $87.703 Which is >$14K

    Production assembly in WA. = $20.57 P/Hr. Which is >$.57

    http://www.glassdoor.com/

    So, while more technical degrees are substantially higher in WA. as opposed to SC, hourly wage on the line seems to be pretty close.

    So, this argument of "reasonable" considering cost of living, and equal factors is a non factor.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #52
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,708

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Pensions are stolen all the time.

    To be sure, the Employee Retirement Income Safety Act of 1974 made clear that pension assets are to be managed solely for the benefit of participants. But Schultz describes how companies still managed to use the money to pay for severance packages and for parachute payments to executives, among other things. Some companies simply sold pension assets for cash. Now pensions are collectively 20% underfunded.

    Forbes link...

    Then after the execs stole the pension funds and milked the companies dry of assets, they declare bankruptcy and offload pension responsibilities of the company to the taxpayer to fund the pensions at a fraction of what they were supposed to get paid. This was the gist of vulture capitalism.
    Sounds eerily like what the Federal Government has done to Social Security....
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #53
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Boeing is currently building 1.5 aircraft a month in Charlotte when their schedule called for 3. Boeing SC shifts message on North Charleston production goals – The Post and Courier
    So, you're basing it on an opinion piece? Ok. True enough that 3 per month is not being achieved (yet), it is not realistic for you, or the column writer to make the assumption that the workers are taking longer to get to speed. I in fact provided an article that could equally make the excuse in delivery, citing the paint facility. The truth is complex in a product that large.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #54
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What is a "reasonable wage"? For instance, using glassdoor.com I compared wages and came up with this...

    Engineer in SC = $73,607.

    Production assembly = $15. P/Hr. to $20. P/Hr.

    vs.

    Engineer in WA. = $87.703 Which is >$14K

    Production assembly in WA. = $20.57 P/Hr. Which is >$.57

    http://www.glassdoor.com/

    So, while more technical degrees are substantially higher in WA. as opposed to SC, hourly wage on the line seems to be pretty close.

    So, this argument of "reasonable" considering cost of living, and equal factors is a non factor.

    Cost of living here in W. WA is much higher than in SC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Washington Boeing employees have continued to build excellent high quality aircraft as they have for decades. Meanwhile, the Dreamliner has run into problems because of managements failures in outsourcing components and problems in setting up different production lines. Rewarding failure and punishing success is utterly moronic.
    Nice excuses.

    No one is punishing success with reasonable wage packages that reflect the current economic environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Just anecdotally, I know alot of Boeing workers. Many different roles. Mostly great people.

    I rented my bungalow out to a Boeing mechanic. She was an unstable (under a Dr's care) woman who was almost continually drugged up. And off to work she went.

    She lasted 3 months before I kicked her out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #57
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Cost of living here in W. WA is much higher than in SC.
    Absolutely, that's what I am saying....Dollar for dollar, those working in the plant in SC are making as much, if not more, in the case of line production, as WA.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #58
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, you're basing it on an opinion piece? Ok. True enough that 3 per month is not being achieved (yet), it is not realistic for you, or the column writer to make the assumption that the workers are taking longer to get to speed. I in fact provided an article that could equally make the excuse in delivery, citing the paint facility. The truth is complex in a product that large.
    You claim is so ridiculous that nobody even at Boeing would throw around such a lame excuse. Pretending that painting could result in 50% production slowdowns would get you laughed out of the aerospace industry.

  9. #59
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    You claim is so ridiculous that nobody even at Boeing would throw around such a lame excuse. Pretending that painting could result in 50% production slowdowns would get you laughed out of the aerospace industry.
    Well, I see at least you are consistent in jumping to your false conclusions. No where did I say that it accounted for a 50% production slowdown. This is a new operation, and it may take longer than realized to get to speed, but they are committed to building them here, (which IMHO is a good thing) and are further investing in the area to bring the paint facility to Charleston as well...If it were such a failure as you describe, then they wouldn't be doing that.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Cost of living here in W. WA is much higher than in SC.
    good reason to move.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •