Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

  1. #31
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    It doesn't matter if the company is doing A ok. if they don't want to pay something they don't have to. the workers can accept or not accept, but they will suffer the consquences of what they decide. boeing had 22 states already pitching to build the planes if the contract fell through.
    Again, it sounds unethical. I don't think they were concerned about a raise. It was the pension that was the sticking point.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Again, it sounds unethical. I don't think they were concerned about a raise. It was the pension that was the sticking point.
    it isn't unethical. it is business.

    yep the pensions were, but the thing is that boeing is doing what most companies are doing and canning their pensions. they simply can't afford the legacy costs of pension funds and still be competitive.

    the competition between airbus and boeing is fierce and every need to maintain that competitive bid is crucial.

    from what i understand they are going to back the 401k funds pretty well. no word on how much but it seems to be an ample contribution. usually it is a matching up to a certain amount.

  3. #33
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it isn't unethical. it is business.

    yep the pensions were, but the thing is that boeing is doing what most companies are doing and canning their pensions. they simply can't afford the legacy costs of pension funds and still be competitive.

    the competition between airbus and boeing is fierce and every need to maintain that competitive bid is crucial.

    from what i understand they are going to back the 401k funds pretty well. no word on how much but it seems to be an ample contribution. usually it is a matching up to a certain amount.
    Yes, they can afford it. They just rather invest that money elsewhere. Maybe, in the Cayman Islands, or an executive bank account or whatever. Why give it towards someone's retirement when it can be funneled to the top?

  4. #34
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Good article. I'm not at all surprised: from the article

    The Japanese in particular have played Boeing like a violin. On the one they have been prepared to pay top-dollar for Boeing planes — but have insisted in return that Boeing transfer more and more of its erstwhile most carefully guarded manufacturing secrets. In the short term agreeing to Japan’s demands may have seemed like a great idea because it boosted immediate profits and by extension, of course, the value of top executives’ stock options. But the long run effects have included not only the loss of tens of thousands of American jobs but the weakening of the U.S. trade balance. And, of course, in the end Boeing’s entire future is called into question.
    It does make me wonder how much our beloved Corporations will sell us out in the quest for another dollar.

  5. #35
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There is a lack of skilled workers in SC....that is the reason for their issues. And that can be fixed...it just takes some time. Boeing has options in places with a skilled workforce...like Huntsville, AL.

    Boeing shouldnt be held hostage by worker demands no longer feasible in our economy.....like any business, they owe it to their shareholders to find the most economic choices long-term.
    Nobody in Huntsville has experience with building aircraft, they focus on smaller systems. The reason why Boeing unions are entirely reasonable in their negotiations for high pay is because they are incredibly valuable and nearly impossible to replace. If all you needed was regular machinists and capital to run an aerospace company, China would be dominating the field.

    Frankly, I'm sick of this nonsense propaganda that ****ing your employees maximizes shareholder value. Boeing has built cutting edge aircraft for decades in Washington and their employees were well paid for it. Aerospace is a industry where you either provide top quality and go out of business. People don't overlook manufacturing defects even for cut rate prices, even a single failure can kill an entire company. That level of quality is expensive, but its still an absolute requirement. You might have a couple profitable quarters by cutting corners, but eventually it ends up costing a lot more than good employee compensation.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Nobody in Huntsville has experience with building aircraft, they focus on smaller systems. The reason why Boeing unions are entirely reasonable in their negotiations for high pay is because they are incredibly valuable and nearly impossible to replace. If all you needed was regular machinists and capital to run an aerospace company, China would be dominating the field.

    Frankly, I'm sick of this nonsense propaganda that ****ing your employees maximizes shareholder value. Boeing has built cutting edge aircraft for decades in Washington and their employees were well paid for it. Aerospace is a industry where you either provide top quality and go out of business. People don't overlook manufacturing defects even for cut rate prices, even a single failure can kill an entire company. That level of quality is expensive, but its still an absolute requirement. You might have a couple profitable quarters by cutting corners, but eventually it ends up costing a lot more than good employee compensation.
    yes it does if that company can't maintain a competitive edge against it's competitors. just look what legacy pension plans have done to the auto industry. it is driving them bankrupt.
    the reason that foreign car makers are doing so well is that they don't have legacy pension costs for their products. they run 401k systems.

    while most of their cars are built here in the US they are building better quality cars cheaper than the big 3.

    the company rule is to stay in business. if it can't do that where it is at then it will move to another area.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    It does make me wonder how much our beloved Corporations will sell us out in the quest for another dollar.
    If you don't like them they'll happily move elsewhere. In fact other States, and countries, are eager to have them move to their area.

  8. #38
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If you don't like them they'll happily move elsewhere. In fact other States, and countries, are eager to have them move to their area.
    Well, I wish they would all move to my state because our economy could use some diversity. It's the other countries that worry me. As for states, sure, let them bid against each other. Thats their job.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Why isn't paying your workforce a negotiate wage a good economic decision? It's sounds pretty unethical for a company to suggest if people vote on something the wrong way they will loose their jobs. The company can afford it. I see no proof they were unable to share in the wealth of that company. That company seems to be doing A okay.
    They get a very good wage and will get increases. Why are you assuming they do not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Again, it sounds unethical. I don't think they were concerned about a raise. It was the pension that was the sticking point.
    Yes, mainly. That was my impression as well.

    And they arent 'losing' anything....their pension programs are being frozen as is. THey are welcome to make their own arrangements elsewhere.

    Nothng that many other Americans dont have to do. The fact is, they felt they were entitled to it. Newer workers felt the same. However, the company disagreed, it affects their bottom line, and in today's economic climate, is not, just *IMO* unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •