Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

  1. #21
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The local union didnt want another vote but Boeing made it clear, after the last vote, that they would move that work out of the state, period. So it gave the machinists another chance to decide if they really didnt want those jobs anymore. It was a reality check....and they got a second chance to look at it and vote.
    The reality is check is for Boeing. Their set up in South Carolina failed and the only reason the 787 isn't massively behind on production schedule is because Everett is making up the slack on dreamliners. Building aircraft is not something you can do without incredible infrastructure, training, education and experience. The only reason their threat had merit is because management is moronic enough to go through with it, even if it would hurt the company. Their CEO is so stupid he stated in public he wanted to move headquarters to China.

  2. #22
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    You can't steal from a pension fund. it is a locked account controlled by the pension holder. what companies are doing are not paying the full amount owed to the pension that is totally different. until the money is payed to the pension it technically is the companies money.

    from city to states to even the federal government has under funded pension plans on going. so it isn't just the private sector "stealing" pension funds.
    I guess you and I have different definitions of stealing. When a company has a pension plan they don't fund and instead use that money for executive pay... IMO, that is stealing. You rerouted money that was obligated to go to one place to line your pockets. Then to bankrupt the company to get out of having to pay it... that is the closure of the theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The reality is check is for Boeing. Their set up in South Carolina failed and the only reason the 787 isn't massively behind on production schedule is because Everett is making up the slack on dreamliners. Building aircraft is not something you can do without incredible infrastructure, training, education and experience. The only reason their threat had merit is because management is moronic enough to go through with it, even if it would hurt the company. Their CEO is so stupid he stated in public he wanted to move headquarters to China.
    There is a lack of skilled workers in SC....that is the reason for their issues. And that can be fixed...it just takes some time. Boeing has options in places with a skilled workforce...like Huntsville, AL.

    Boeing shouldnt be held hostage by worker demands no longer feasible in our economy.....like any business, they owe it to their shareholders to find the most economic choices long-term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There is a lack of skilled workers in SC....that is the reason for their issues. And that can be fixed...it just takes some time. Boeing has options in places with a skilled workforce...like Huntsville, AL.

    Boeing shouldnt be held hostage by worker demands no longer feasible in our economy.....like any business, they owe it to their shareholders to find the most economic choices long-term.
    It isn't even really share holders. Boeing is a company and their number 1 goal is to make money. if they can't make that money in one place they will go to another place.

    Their set up in South Carolina failed
    it hasn't failed because it is still open and boeing is working through normal startup issues with a new plant. once they get everyone trained up and in place then the plant will start to produce.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    It isn't even really share holders. Boeing is a company and their number 1 goal is to make money. if they can't make that money in one place they will go to another place.

    it hasn't failed because it is still open and boeing is working through normal startup issues with a new plant. once they get everyone trained up and in place then the plant will start to produce.

    I completely agree that Boeing's number one goal is to make money.

    And I was using 'failed' pretty casually. I realize it hasnt failed in SC, but has not lived up to expectations. I just see it as a matter of maturing the workforce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #26
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work


  7. #27
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Pity really, a chance for Boeing to rid itself of the corrupt Unions, oh well.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #28
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There is a lack of skilled workers in SC....that is the reason for their issues. And that can be fixed...it just takes some time. Boeing has options in places with a skilled workforce...like Huntsville, AL.

    Boeing shouldnt be held hostage by worker demands no longer feasible in our economy.....like any business, they owe it to their shareholders to find the most economic choices long-term.
    Why isn't paying your workforce a negotiate wage a good economic decision? It's sounds pretty unethical for a company to suggest if people vote on something the wrong way they will loose their jobs. The company can afford it. I see no proof they were unable to share in the wealth of that company. That company seems to be doing A okay.

  9. #29
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Good article. I'm not at all surprised: from the article

    The Japanese in particular have played Boeing like a violin. On the one they have been prepared to pay top-dollar for Boeing planes — but have insisted in return that Boeing transfer more and more of its erstwhile most carefully guarded manufacturing secrets. In the short term agreeing to Japan’s demands may have seemed like a great idea because it boosted immediate profits and by extension, of course, the value of top executives’ stock options. But the long run effects have included not only the loss of tens of thousands of American jobs but the weakening of the U.S. trade balance. And, of course, in the end Boeing’s entire future is called into question.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Boeing Machinists Approve Contract To Secure 777X Work

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Why isn't paying your workforce a negotiate wage a good economic decision? It's sounds pretty unethical for a company to suggest if people vote on something the wrong way they will loose their jobs. The company can afford it. I see no proof they were unable to share in the wealth of that company. That company seems to be doing A okay.
    The company gave them what they were going to get. they rejected the 1st contract. boeing came back and said here is additional pay raises etc.. they rejected that one (after all the other unions had signed onto the deal).

    Beoing said we aren't offering anymore this is the deal accept it or we are going to move the plane to another location. they didnt' have to accept it, but the younger workers decided having a good paying job and feeding their families was more important than 100 a week strike pay and losing a long term contract.

    even though the vote was close 600 votes between them self interest comes out in the end.

    It doesn't matter if the company is doing A ok. if they don't want to pay something they don't have to. the workers can accept or not accept, but they will suffer the consquences of what they decide. boeing had 22 states already pitching to build the planes if the contract fell through.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •