Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 384

Thread: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-06-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    142

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Your argument is nonetheless incoherent.
    Demonstrate why.

    I'll post it again. Tackle each premise, please.

    P1: Murder is immoral
    P2: Convicted criminals are not always guilty
    P3: Life is preferable to death
    =
    C: The death penalty is immoral and is not preferable to life in prison

  2. #302
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,918
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    Demonstrate why.

    I'll post it again. Tackle each premise, please.
    The problem is not the truth or falsehood of any of the three statements, but that they bear no relationship to one another. A syllogism to make your argument would be:

    P1: Murder is immoral.
    P2: Capital punishment is murder.
    P3: Therefore capital punishment is immoral.

    or

    P1: It is immoral to execute even one innocent person.
    P2: Some convicted criminals are innocent.
    P3: It is therefore immoral to execute convicted criminals.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-06-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    142

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The problem is not the truth or falsehood of any of the three statements, but that they bear no relationship to one another. A syllogism to make your argument would be:

    P1: Murder is immoral.
    P2: Capital punishment is murder.
    P3: Therefore capital punishment is immoral.

    or

    P1: It is immoral to execute even one innocent person.
    P2: Some convicted criminals are innocent.
    P3: It is therefore immoral to execute convicted criminals.
    Thanks for refining my jumbled thoughts.

    I then ask you to tackle the arguments that you have laid out

  4. #304
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,918
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    Thanks for refining my jumbled thoughts.

    I then ask you to tackle the arguments that you have laid out
    Easy. I do not accept as true P2 in the first or P1 in the second.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Comparing abortion to the death penalty is entirely erroneous. In order for abortion to be illegal regardless if the unborn is deemed a person or not you must accept the premise that it is ok to force someone to serve someone else. Furthermore, since we can assume the government is not involved directly we can safely say the government is not killing human beings. Of course, due to current involvement in the matter we can not say the government is not involved in the killing of human beings indirectly. The death penalty doesn't involve matters of servitude, but is simply the government killing their own citizens for breaking laws they deem permit the punishment of death.

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-06-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    142

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Easy. I do not accept as true P2 in the first or P1 in the second.
    Why not?

  7. #307
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    As others have stated previously, the man both raped and murdered a pregnant woman. I'm not entirely distraught at the prospect of his death being slightly more painful than the usual treatment.

  8. #308
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,918
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    Why not?
    That, my friend, has been fully explained in my previous posts.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    As others have stated previously, the man both raped and murdered a pregnant woman. I'm not entirely distraught at the prospect of his death being slightly more painful than the usual treatment.
    I am hoping that it is.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Ohio killer to get 2-drug injection untried in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    Ah ok, I got your position. You don't care if innocent people are killed in the pursuit of killing guilty people. Got it.
    He didnt say that. But we do exactly what you said in war. And in 'the war on terrorism.' And in invasions, like Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •