Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

  1. #31
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by xxstevennnxx View Post
    "Chicago is slated to end 2013 with fewer murders than at any time since the early 1960s with 412 homicides"

    Chicago Homicides Down by 17% in 2013 - WSJ.com

    What was all of that Republican rhetoric about failed gun control laws?
    First off...if you are going to make a silly argument you have to reconcile your argument with the fact that in 2013 a federal judge ORDERED Illinois to loosen restrictions on private gun ownership and concealed carry. By your very argument, you make the other sides case for them.
    Now...

    Are you REALLY excited about this as 'progress'?
    2013 Chicago Murders - Timeline - DNAinfo.com Chicago

  2. #32
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Way to go Chicago. You're almost an awful place to live in, down from disgusting cess pool. Congratulations.

  3. #33
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    High court strikes down Chicago handgun ban - CNN.com

    I doubt gun control laws were the reason for lowered homicides
    Maybe they are just running out of innocent people to kill there? Hell..its been a rough 20 years! There have been more dead in the city of Chicago during the same duration than there were deaths in a ****ing war zone. But hey...raise the roof, bitches!!! Its time to party!!!

  4. #34
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Way to go Chicago. You're almost an awful place to live in, down from disgusting cess pool. Congratulations.
    Maybe its just because it has been cold to shoot anyone in the last few weeks. 1 year is an anomaly. Better give it a few years before we move it from the "Cities to Really Really REALLY Avoid" list to the "Cities to just Really REALLY Avoid" list.

  5. #35
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Toronto and Chicago are virtually the same size, population wise - we alternate back and forth as the fourth or fifth largest city in North America after Mexico City, New York and Los Angeles. In Toronto, we generally have about 50-60 murders a year, and we consider that to be quite high even if a majority of those murdered are active in gangs or crime of some sort. I hardly think 412 murders is something to cheer about although any reduction is good.

    As for gun control laws, if you can indicate that the number of murders committed by use of a gun, particularly an illegal gun, has drastically fallen since the introduction of gun control regulations in Chicago, you may have a point - however, I'm guessing you've got no such evidence.
    A drop of 20% in the murder rate is fairly significant I think. It is also the lowest number of homicides since the 1960's.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #36
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Violence as a whole has dropped across the country, this isn't a secret. Yet, gun laws are becoming extremely lax as of late across the country.

    Gun ownership has gone up exponentially....and crime has dropped exponentially. Soooooo....yeah. That whole argument is basically dead, as more guns, as of late, equals less violence. As there are more guns and gun owners....and less violence. This is pretty basic math.

    So, stop with the emotional kneejerk junk. Numbers. Numbers don't lie. Liberals do.

  7. #37
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    A drop of 20% in the murder rate is fairly significant I think. It is also the lowest number of homicides since the 1960's.
    But the OP claim is it's related to gun control - I haven't seen any evidence of that. For all you know, there could have been a run on knives and 100 people benefitted from the shortage.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #38
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    A drop of 20% in the murder rate is fairly significant I think. It is also the lowest number of homicides since the 1960's.
    correlation vs causation, mate.

  9. #39
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    But the OP claim is it's related to gun control - I haven't seen any evidence of that. For all you know, there could have been a run on knives and 100 people benefitted from the shortage.
    I haven't seen any evidence that it is not related to gun control. What I have seen is that the city is taking measures to reduce the number of guns on the streets. Coincidentally, I guess, the number of murders, for no reason at all, has gone down 20%. 100 less people were killed in a span of a year and the only major change is a change in the gun control laws. I just add 1+1= which apparently coincidentally equals 2..
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  10. #40
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Chicago Murder rate drops to lowest point in 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    But the OP claim is it's related to gun control - I haven't seen any evidence of that. For all you know, there could have been a run on knives and 100 people benefitted from the shortage.
    Yep. Or perhaps, this years crop of shooters just weren't as accurate as last years.... or perhaps the victims lived more this year than last years due to one of a thousand other variables and situations.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •