Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 219

Thread: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

  1. #71
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    of course it doesn't what the sisters can do is fill out a form their insurance company then as to pay for it anyway which they will do through higher premiums etc...
    so the sisters are still paying for it just indirectly. that is what their argument is.
    You are lying.

    The insurance company does not have to pay for the coverage. They get paid for offering the coverage

    The employees, if they want coverage for contraception, have to pay for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Seems a bit convoluted.
    And untrue
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Seems a bit convoluted.
    Whether directly or indirectly they are still paying for contraceptive services something that their religious beliefs prevent them from using. Their argument still resides in the 1st amendment. hopefully this time the court will get it correct unlike the ruling on obamacare.

    In my opinion the sister case is over. they win.

    the bigger case that the court is hearing is the suit by hobby lobby. they are suing over the same thing the difference is they are a private business. The last ruling that we have is that corporations are people. it was cited that corporations have a freedom of speech and can use it. which would mean that corporations themselves have religious protections as well. it is going to be interesting to see what is decided in that case.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You are lying.

    The insurance company does not have to pay for the coverage. They get paid for offering the coverage

    The employees, if they want coverage for contraception, have to pay for it.



    And untrue
    you say everyone is lieing which means you have no friggen clue on earth what a lie is.

    their insurance company still has to offer it. if you no anything of catholic faith or religion helping someone else sin is sinning yourself.
    they shouldn't have to sign anything as the government can't force them to offer contraceptives in the first place a violation of the constitution.

    their faith also says they can't help someone else committ a sin and that is what signing that form does again a violation of the constitution.

    the only person lieing here is you. you are purposely trying to distort their views into something else and you are knowingly doing it.

    that is a lie. so before you call someone else a liar you might want to look in the mirror.

  4. #74
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you say everyone is lieing which means you have no friggen clue on earth what a lie is.

    their insurance company still has to offer it. if you no anything of catholic faith or religion helping someone else sin is sinning yourself.
    they shouldn't have to sign anything as the government can't force them to offer contraceptives in the first place a violation of the constitution.

    their faith also says they can't help someone else committ a sin and that is what signing that form does again a violation of the constitution.

    the only person lieing here is you. you are purposely trying to distort their views into something else and you are knowingly doing it.

    that is a lie. so before you call someone else a liar you might want to look in the mirror.
    You have lied

    You said that the Little Sisters have to provide coverage for contraception. That is untrue

    You said that the insurers have to pay for coverage for contraception. That is untrue

    Now you say that the Little Sisters have to help the insurer provide coverage for contraception. That is untrue

    The only thing Little Sisters have to do is fill out a form saying that they will not pay for contraception coverage because they are a religious org, and state the date on which the coverage they do offer will begin. That is all

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Whether directly or indirectly they are still paying for contraceptive services something that their religious beliefs prevent them from using..
    It's a ridiculous argument. It's like saying they don't have to pay their employees because they might use the money to buy a condom.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #75
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with the govt telling people what kind of insurance they can and can not buy. It also has nothing to do with the individual mandate.

    It's about the employer mandate, and the exemption for religious organizations.
    Employers aren't people?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Employers aren't people?
    They are and with the recent supreme court ruling so are corporations therefore they are afford the same constitutional protections as a person.

    It's a ridiculous argument. It's like saying they don't have to pay their employees because they might use the money to buy a condom.
    nice strawman fail.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    An employer should be allowed to give anything they choose as compensation to their employees, as long as the employee agrees to it as terms of their employment.
    What they are giving us insurance. Nothing more. Just as cash is nothing more than cash. What we are taking about is how it is used. No one has to use insurance or cash on anything they disagree with. Controlling how the employee uses insurance is really no different than controlling how they spend their cash.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    You're just paraphrasing what I said. The government is telling people what kind of insurance they can and can't buy.
    No.

    when they government says a car must meet certain standards, are they telling them what car they can buy? No. You guys always exaggerate. I wish I understood why.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What they are giving us insurance. Nothing more. Just as cash is nothing more than cash. What we are taking about is how it is used. No one has to use insurance or cash on anything they disagree with. Controlling how the employee uses insurance is really no different than controlling how they spend their cash.
    You don't understand how insurance works which is the problem. Until obamacare a company didn't owe you insurance. as long as they paid you and you agreed to it they didn't have to offer insurance. companies offer insurance as a way to attract employee's.

    now when you sign up for work you get whatever insurance the company offers. you can't go to the insurance company and go i don't like this i want to add that. you can get a separate policy on your own if you don't have something that you want. you don't own the insurance policy though the company does.

  10. #80
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Justice Blocks Contraception Mandate on Insurance in Suit by Nuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No.

    when they government says a car must meet certain standards, are they telling them what car they can buy? No. You guys always exaggerate. I wish I understood why.
    Actually, they ARE telling them what cars they can buy - we just don't see the ones we're not allowed to buy because they never make it as far as the dealerships.

    There are plenty of cars made overseas that are not permitted to be sold in the US.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •