Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #781
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Personally then, IMO it your personal limitation that you cannot wrap your mind around that kind of complexity. It's not easy, I remember sitting thru zoology, microbiology....2 of my favorites and having to delve deeper into concepts & having it explained....over and over....to gain understanding. I do not claim complete understanding.

    Thanks for the recommendation on Sperm Wars. I hope it's available for my Kindle.

    I'm not the only one that thinks that way. How to account for complexity within the theory of evolution is currently being debated by the top minds in the field.

    Here's an interesting read: The Surprising Origins of Evolutionary Complexity: Scientific American

  2. #782
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    But you keep on bringing up the complexity of the human brain as a flaw of evolution. That would still have to evolve regardless with panspermia - 90 billion neurons in a specific pattern.

    Genetic engineering doesn't solve how our creators came to develop either.
    Yeah but with panspermia at least you buy yourself a few trillion more generations, making it more plausible in my mind.

  3. #783
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Skepticism is good, the scientific method is good, I just think there are problems with the theory of evolution that get whitewashed somewhat due to the sensitive nature of the topic.
    Interesting. It is not remotely sensitive to alot of people tho...esp. those doing the studying. In the past I spent alot of time around academics and zoologists. And each real scientist was dying to discover something new or something that did NOT fit into the current or mainstream science....a solid way of gaining funding. But any of those 'discoveries' still had to undergo peer review and the general rigors of science. No one wants to 'ignore' something new in evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #784
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yeah but with panspermia at least you buy yourself a few trillion more generations, making it more plausible in my mind.
    Those generations had to develop elsewhere, somehow.

  5. #785
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    everything in nature has a beginning and an end. If you are saying otherwise you are admitting the universe is supernatural making my argument for a supernatural being or creator behind it all. thanks

  6. #786
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Interesting. It is not remotely sensitive to alot of people tho...esp. those doing the studying. In the past I spent alot of time around academics and zoologists. And each real scientist was dying to discover something new or something that did NOT fit into the current or mainstream science....a solid way of gaining funding. But any of those 'discoveries' still had to undergo peer review and the general rigors of science. No one wants to 'ignore' something new in evolution.
    Oh, I'm not suggesting it's being ignored. You should read the like from Scientific American I gave you in the last post, it's a good summary of the current debate on how to account for complexity in evolution. The top minds recognize that there's something there which needs to be worked out.

    However, the public face of teaching evolution - the high school teachers, the outreach to discovery channel, that sort of thing, is all kumbaya. That's because they don't want to show any cracks in the theory, lest the religious folks jump on it and try to use debate as an opening to teach creationism in the schools.

    So it's kind of a unified front. But in the halls of Harvard, there's a lot of discussion going on and I don't think it's entirely settled how to account for the vast complexity in such a relatively short amount of time as we've been on earth.

  7. #787
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Those generations had to develop elsewhere, somehow.
    Yes, that's the theory. I dislike it because it's just kicking the can down the road, so to speak, but it does help explain the problems of how such complexity could come about in such a short amount of time.

  8. #788
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Those generations had to develop elsewhere, somehow.
    Yes.

    I for one hope panspermia is wrong, because then we'll likely never know our true origins. But it could be the case that life evolved elsewhere in the universe, that a few cells got kicked in to space, survived, and were transported to earth in a watery comet or something like that. The possibility currently can't be ruled out.

  9. #789
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    everything in nature has a beginning and an end.
    I've seen no evidence that this is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #790
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I've seen no evidence that this is true.
    think harder then.

    so what are you saying? that NATURE created nature? That it wasn't something else? Because using logic like "gee, maybe the universe just always existed" makes the christian explanation sound downright brilliant!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •