Page 66 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #651
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,048

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's a loaded question. I know enough about evolution - a few college biology courses.
    Okay, then why don't you tell me, in your own words, what evolution is.

  2. #652
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    From your link:



    Therefore, it is not science.
    That's one example out of about 50 or so on that list. Are you really saying that scientific theories are never superseded?

  3. #653
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Okay, then why don't you tell me, in your own words, what evolution is.
    No thanks, because I think your tone is patronizing and you're not debating anything - you're just attempting to discredit me. I have no interest in engaging that.

  4. #654
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    So, your idea of debate on the issue is, "This is what I think." OK . . . I guess that is where we differ . . . I read.
    If that's all you get from what I've written, I'm sorry for you.

  5. #655
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,319
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No thanks, because I think your tone is patronizing and you're not debating anything - you're just attempting to discredit me. I have no interest in engaging that.
    Because you have no ****ing idea that's why.

  6. #656
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,048

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No thanks, because I think your tone is patronizing and you're not debating anything - you're just attempting to discredit me. I have no interest in engaging that.
    I'm sorry if you find my tone patronizing, but what's many times more patronizing is your willingness to come into a thread and waste everybody's time on a topic you refuse to learn anything about. It's downright offensive, actually. Which I strongly suspect is your purpose here.

  7. #657
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's one example out of about 50 or so on that list. Are you really saying that scientific theories are never superseded?
    Scientific hypothesis? Yes. There is a difference. Observable and testable . . . over and over again, based in skepticism, and then getting the same result.

    A hypothesis is an educated guess.

  8. #658
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If that's all you get from what I've written, I'm sorry for you.
    You haven't given anything more than "I believe". That is the sum of your argument, correct? I cannot dent that way of thinking and I think I won't try anymore.

  9. #659
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm sorry if you find my tone patronizing, but what's many times more patronizing is your willingness to come into a thread and waste everybody's time on a topic you refuse to learn anything about. It's downright offensive, actually. Which I strongly suspect is your purpose here.
    Wrong.

    The subject of this thread is people who reject evolution - I happen to be one of those people and I'm here to debate my beliefs with whoever would like to do so.

    I laid out my reasons for not believing in evolution as follows....

    1.) The law of probabilities suggests our very existence via natural selection is unlikely (human beings are incredibly complex).

    2.) History has shown us that scientific theories are constantly changing and being disregarded as new ones take their place. Odds are (there we go with probabilities again) that within a few years science will abandon the current theory of evolution for something else.

    3.) Our understanding of how DNA and genetics work is in its infancy, to say the least. We have really just begun to scratch the surface there. How can we possibly think we have an understanding of evolution when the building blocks of what makes us evolve, our genes, are so poorly understood?



    Those are issues that are fair game for debate. Questioning my level of education, accusing me of wasting everyone's time, etc are making this about ME, and not about ISSUES.

    I'm not going down that road with you. I don't prove myself to anyone, so if you're interested in debating the issues, I may or may not join in, but as for the rest of the stuff, save it.

  10. #660
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    You haven't given anything more than "I believe". That is the sum of your argument, correct? I cannot dent that way of thinking and I think I won't try anymore.
    I don't think evolution has met the burden of proof to the point where I would accept it.

Page 66 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •