Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #641
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    You're not a nut. I think you're just uninformed and haven't read enough about evolution. Your criticisms are essentially "we hardly know anything currently, so how can we be sure evolution is true?" But that isn't a critique. You actually need to point out what's wrong with the theory to critique it.
    For argument's sake: I don't have to know what's specifically wrong with it to believe it will ultimately be replaced, since history has shown us that most scientific theories are replaced over time as new ones pop up.

  2. #642
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    For argument's sake: I don't have to know what's specifically wrong with it to believe it will ultimately be replaced, since history has shown us that most scientific theories are replaced over time as new ones pop up.
    For the life of me, I can't understand the motivation of people to argue incessantly on a thread they have no desire to educate themselves on in the least. What did you hope to accomplish on this thread? Just stating what you believe? Mission accomplished, you can go now. Were you hoping to change minds? That's not going to happen. Are you simply trolling?

    Seriously, why are you here?

  3. #643
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    For argument's sake: I don't have to know what's specifically wrong with it to believe it will ultimately be replaced, since history has shown us that most scientific theories are replaced over time as new ones pop up.
    Please, give us a few scientific theories that have been debunked. Scientific theories . . . not what the King thought (notice I didn't even mention religions).

  4. #644
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Then there should be scientific studies that exist to back up each one of your claims from 1-3.
    Let me address each one individually.

    1. The Law of Probabilities is applied math correct? Used in science, traffic studies, disease control, medicine, car production and on and on and on. In a sense, it is a science . . . and you trust it. If you could show me the studies using the law of probabilities that has eliminated the universally accepted Theory of Evolution when explaining life on this planet I would be grateful. Any claim this large must be well documented and tested.
    I'm not aware of any studies like that, because I don't believe that one could be designed. How would you quantify the complexity of a human being?


    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    2. Yes, people once thought the earth was flat and people once thought the sun revolved earth, and that life spontaneously started in piles of horse dung (true story), however, none of these were scientific theories . . . not a one. You see, it was science, and scientists who observed, tested, observed, tested . . . over and over again who developed the "Theories" we have come to accept as fact. You won't debate gravity because you observe it everyday. This is not to say we won't learn more and more about evolution. We are finding new fossils of early hominoids every year, but it isn't going to change the over all theory.
    What is gravity? Einstein's idea of gravity differs quite greatly from Newton's. And then there are some quantum theorists who believe in gravitons. So you say I believe in "gravity," but what is that? I believe in a force that pulls me down toward earth. I don't believe that science fully understands that force. Likewise, I believe in biological diversity, but I don't believe science can explain that biological diversity.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    3. This is another common argument from the people who have not been familiarized fully with theory of evolution. It isn't just the DNA studies, it is a combination of many sciences. However, you seem to want to focus on what we don't know about the genomes of all living things instead of what we do know . . . and how it has been observed and tested. Follow the Mitochondrial DNA and you get useful information to guide the studies in evolution, but it is the fossil record, combined with what we know about DNA (What we do know won't change, it's been tested and observed), and all the other scientific information that seals the deal.

    By the way, not every scientist agrees about evolution as it relates to the out of Africa theory. Some scientists believe they have proven a multiregional development of modern humans. It is not accepted by 99% because there is no fossil record as of yet that can be used to back it up. And even though some scientists may disagree on the origin of modern humans, they still accept the Theory of Evolution just like the fact they know we have gravity on earth.
    I think you touch on an important point there - it's not about what we know, it's about what we don't know. Scientists are arrogant - they think they can explain everything. That's what happens when you grow up smarter than most people around you, I suppose.

    The wisest man of all time, though, Socrates, once said "the only thing I really know is that I know nothing." (Not an exact quote, but you get the gist.)

    Scientific theories change, come and go. It takes quite a bit of wisdom and intelligence to come to the realization that most of what we take for granted as being true will one day be rejected and replaced by scientists of the future. Knowing that, it creates a sense of humility and wonderment about the world around us.

  5. #645
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    For the life of me, I can't understand the motivation of people to argue incessantly on a thread they have no desire to educate themselves on in the least. What did you hope to accomplish on this thread? Just stating what you believe? Mission accomplished, you can go now. Were you hoping to change minds? That's not going to happen. Are you simply trolling?

    Seriously, why are you here?
    To debate. That's why it's called Debate Politics. Any other questions?

  6. #646
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Please, give us a few scientific theories that have been debunked. Scientific theories . . . not what the King thought (notice I didn't even mention religions).
    Here's a whole list.... Superseded scientific theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #647
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    To debate. That's why it's called Debate Politics. Any other questions?
    Don't you think the quality of your debate would improve if you knew what the topic was about?

  8. #648
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    From your link:

    Not supported by experiment
    Therefore, it is not science.

  9. #649
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm not aware of any studies like that, because I don't believe that one could be designed. How would you quantify the complexity of a human being?




    What is gravity? Einstein's idea of gravity differs quite greatly from Newton's. And then there are some quantum theorists who believe in gravitons. So you say I believe in "gravity," but what is that? I believe in a force that pulls me down toward earth. I don't believe that science fully understands that force. Likewise, I believe in biological diversity, but I don't believe science can explain that biological diversity.



    I think you touch on an important point there - it's not about what we know, it's about what we don't know. Scientists are arrogant - they think they can explain everything. That's what happens when you grow up smarter than most people around you, I suppose.

    The wisest man of all time, though, Socrates, once said "the only thing I really know is that I know nothing." (Not an exact quote, but you get the gist.)

    Scientific theories change, come and go. It takes quite a bit of wisdom and intelligence to come to the realization that most of what we take for granted as being true will one day be rejected and replaced by scientists of the future. Knowing that, it creates a sense of humility and wonderment about the world around us.
    So, your idea of debate on the issue is, "This is what I think." OK . . . I guess that is where we differ . . . I read.

  10. #650
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Don't you think the quality of your debate would improve if you knew what the topic was about?
    That's a loaded question. I know enough about evolution - a few college biology courses.

Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •