Page 59 of 81 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #581
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    For the love of God stop inflating every perceived slight against religion to some kind of absolute, blanket attack. That is not even remotely close to what I said and even the slightest bit of reading comprehension would have told you that. I've seen you do this about a half dozen times in this thread alone. It's getting old, man.
    Then be clear...It would be helpful if you didn't try so hard to label people as "religious fundamentalist"
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #582
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's not even close to what he said, and you're smart enough to know that.
    He should be clear then.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #583
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,845

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Can you explain what is wrong with this quote?

    "Intelligent design refers to a scientific research program as well as a community of scientists, philosophers and other scholars who seek evidence of design in nature. The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection. Through the study and analysis of a system's components, a design theorist is able to determine whether various natural structures are the product of chance, natural law, intelligent design, or some combination thereof. Such research is conducted by observing the types of information produced when intelligent agents act. Scientists then seek to find objects which have those same types of informational properties which we commonly know come from intelligence. Intelligent design has applied these scientific methods to detect design in irreducibly complex biological structures, the complex and specified information content in DNA, the life-sustaining physical architecture of the universe, and the geologically rapid origin of biological diversity in the fossil record during the Cambrian explosion approximately 530 million years ago. "

    Intelligent Design
    Everything, basically. None of it is based on anything that resembles actual evidence. It boils down to bull**** like "this here is complicated, therefore it was designed!"

    It also absolutely, positively is the same thing as creationism. Just shoehorned into pseudoscientific language.

    It is also absolutely, positively not a theory because there is not a single shred of evidence nor any test one can run to gather any evidence on the "theory."

    It's essentially the same thing as when some quack on late-night infomercials tells you that his electrosonic muscle energizer uses biophotons to enhance your core alignment.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #584
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Can you explain what is wrong with this quote?

    "Intelligent design refers to a scientific research program as well as a community of scientists, philosophers and other scholars who seek evidence of design in nature. The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection. Through the study and analysis of a system's components, a design theorist is able to determine whether various natural structures are the product of chance, natural law, intelligent design, or some combination thereof. Such research is conducted by observing the types of information produced when intelligent agents act. Scientists then seek to find objects which have those same types of informational properties which we commonly know come from intelligence. Intelligent design has applied these scientific methods to detect design in irreducibly complex biological structures, the complex and specified information content in DNA, the life-sustaining physical architecture of the universe, and the geologically rapid origin of biological diversity in the fossil record during the Cambrian explosion approximately 530 million years ago. "

    Intelligent Design

    The entire paragraph is pseudo-science speil. Sounds good doesnt it?

    However the theory itself doesnt work because it starts here, the opposite of what science does: science starts with a proposition and then attempts to prove it.

    Psuedo-science has something it wants to prove and then creates or manipulates evidence to support it.

    HUGE difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #585
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The entire paragraph is pseudo-science speil. Sounds good doesnt it?

    However the theory itself doesnt work because it starts here, the opposite of what science does: science starts with a proposition and then attempts to prove it.

    Psuedo-science has something it wants to prove and then creates or manipulates evidence to support it.

    HUGE difference.
    Ok, so just trying to understand here, so when these people say this:

    "This article by Dr. Joseph Kuhn of the Department of Surgery at Baylor University Medical Center appeared in the peer-reviewed journal Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings. It poses a number of challenges to both chemical and biological evolution, including:

    1. Limitations of the chemical origin of life data to explain the origin of DNA
    2. Limitations of mutation and natural selection theories to address the irreducible complexity of the cell
    3. Limitations of transitional species data to account for the multitude of changes involved in the transition.
    Regarding the chemical origin of life, Kuhn points to the Miller-Urey experiments and correctly observes that "the experimental conditions of a low-oxygen, nitrogen-rich reducing environment have been refuted." Citing Stephen Meyer's Signature in the Cell, he contends that "the fundamental and insurmountable problem with Darwinian evolution lies in the remarkable complexity and inherent information contained within DNA." Kuhn also explains that "Darwinian evolution and natural selection could not have been causes of the origin of life, because they require replication to operate, and there was no replication prior to the origin of life," but no other known cause can organize the information in life.

    Dr. Kuhn then turns to explaining the concept of irreducible complexity, citing Michael Behe's book Darwin's Black Box and noting that "irreducible complexity suggests that all elements of a system must be present simultaneously rather than evolve through a stepwise, sequential improvement, as theorized by Darwinian evolution." Further, "The fact that these irreducibly complex systems are specifically coded through DNA adds another layer of complexity called 'specified complexity.'" As a medical doctor, Kuhn proposes that irreducibly complex systems within the human body include "vision, balance, the respiratory system, the circulatory system, the immune system, the gastrointestinal system, the skin, the endocrine system, and taste." He concludes that "the human body represents an irreducibly complex system on a cellular and an organ/system basis."

    Kuhn also explores the question of human/ape common ancestry, citing Jonathan Wells's book The Myth of Junk DNA and arguing:

    DNA homology between ape and man has been reported to be 96% when considering only the current protein-mapping sequences, which represent only 2% of the total genome. However, the actual similarity of the DNA is approximately 70% to 75% when considering the full genome, including the previously presumed "junk DNA," which has now been demonstrated to code for supporting elements in transcription or expression. The 25% difference represents almost 35 million single nucleotide changes and 5 million insertions or deletions.
    In Dr. Kuhn's view, this poses a problem for Darwinian evolution because the "[t]he ape to human species change would require an incredibly rapid rate of mutation leading to formation of new DNA, thousands of new proteins, and untold cellular, neural, digestive, and immune-related changes in DNA, which would code for the thousands of new functioning proteins."

    Kuhn also observes that a challenge to neo-Darwinism comes from the Cambrian explosion:

    Thousands of specimens were available at the time of Darwin. Millions of specimens have been classified and studied in the past 50 years. It is remarkable to note that each of these shows a virtual explosion of nearly all phyla (35/40) of the animal kingdom over a relatively short period during the Cambrian era 525 to 530 million years ago. Since that time, there has been occasional species extinction, but only rare new phyla have been convincingly identified. The seminal paper from paleoanthropologists J. Valentine and D. H. Erwin notes that the absence of transitional species for any of the Cambrian phyla limits the neo-Darwinian explanation for evolution.
    Despite Texas's call for discussing the scientific strengths and weaknesses of Darwinian evolution, Kuhn closes by noting, "In 2011, when new textbooks were presented to the State Board of Education, 9 out of 10 failed to provide the mandated supplementary curricula, which would include both positive and negative aspects of evolution (44)." Citing Discovery Institute's Report on the Texas Textbooks, he laments:

    [S]everal of the textbooks continued to incorrectly promote the debunked Miller-Urey origin of life experiment, the long-discredited claims about nonfunctional appendix and tonsils, and the fraudulent embryo drawings from Ernst Haeckel. In essence, current biology students, aspiring medical students, and future scientists are not being taught the whole story. Rather, evidence suggests that they continue to receive incorrect and incomplete material that exaggerates the effect of random mutation and natural selection to account for DNA, the cell, or the transition from species to species.
    Kuhn concludes, "It is therefore time to sharpen the minds of students, biologists, and physicians for the possibility of a new paradigm."

    CSC - Peer-Reviewed & Peer-Edited Scientific Publications Supporting the Theory of Intelligent Design (Annotated)

    Then they are lying?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #586
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,845

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then they are lying?
    "Irreducible complexity" is a completely nonsensical idea. Almost literally "it's too complicated not to be designed." They state that various systems would have to be present simultaneously, but that simply isn't true.

    They propose that there are too many differences between us and our ape ancestors to have occurred this quickly, but offer absolutely no evidence that this is the case. They don't have any evidence suggesting some kind of limitation on mutations.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #587
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I know, but there are still school boards and states that are trying to add creationism or its pseudo-science cousin "Intelligent Design" to public school science curriculae. Kansas and TX are the 2 that come immediately to mind.
    If so, I do not think it will get far. Hopefully a little common sense will apply. There are always those who try to force their views on others. Whoever it is or whatever it is about, that is not right.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #588
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,845

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    If so, I do not think it will get far. Hopefully a little common sense will apply. There are always those who try to force their views on others. Whoever it is or whatever it is about, that is not right.
    Views like religious beliefs and/or morals or views like algebra?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #589
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But adherents to the idea believe it to be the word of God, and they perceive it as a biblical truth. Misplaced blind faith in an idea is still blind faith in an idea.
    I suppose that is up to them. 6000 years is just a man made time table that someone very early on dreamed up. Yet, I see no harm in them believing it.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #590
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,845

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I suppose that is up to them. 6000 years is just a man made time table that someone very early on dreamed up. Yet, I see no harm in them believing it.
    I don't know, I just envision an Albert Einstein being raised by parents like that, and shudder. How many great minds have we lost to this kind of thing?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 59 of 81 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •