Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #551
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I sure hope that isn't true...Because if so, then we stop learning.



    Absolutism is never a good position to take with unknowns out there.
    No one suggested we stop learning because we accept the science we know is true. We still have much to learn about evolution, but we know it exists. I am not going to debate whether gravity exists or not, because I can observe it. I am not going to debate whether the earth revolves around the sun or not, although just like today's debate on evolution, people use to debate that very issue. Yet science won out in the long run.

    There is a reason why we accept scientific theories like gravity and evolution . . . because there is so much data involved. The idea is that the data makes so much sense it can be considered fact. Do you believe in gravity J? The same method works for evolution.

  2. #552
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I got a littly myopic in my debate with Aekos but in the end we found much to agree on. Maybe my answers to him would help in answering your questions.
    It doesn't.

  3. #553
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    No one suggested we stop learning because we accept the science we know is true. We still have much to learn about evolution, but we know it exists. I am not going to debate whether gravity exists or not, because I can observe it. I am not going to debate whether the earth revolves around the sun or not, although just like today's debate on evolution, people use to debate that very issue. Yet science won out in the long run.
    There is a reason why we accept scientific theories like gravity and evolution . . . because there is so much data involved. The idea is that the data makes so much sense it can be considered fact. Do you believe in gravity J? The same method works for evolution.
    Dumb question. I never said that I didn't accept evolution theory.

    It doesn't.
    Well then, feel free to ask anything you'd like...I'll answer it if I can...But, please don't be so foolish as to think I am going to pour over 500 postings to find your particular needle in this haystack....Either ask it again, or don't, doesn't matter to me.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #554
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Dumb question. I never said that I didn't accept evolution theory.

    Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo
    Do you believe in gravity J?
    Dumb question? He asks you a question... you say it is dumb to ask... but don't answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #555
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Dumb question. I never said that I didn't accept evolution theory.



    Well then, feel free to ask anything you'd like...I'll answer it if I can...But, please don't be so foolish as to think I am going to pour over 500 postings to find your particular needle in this haystack....Either ask it again, or don't, doesn't matter to me.
    I'll tell you what I am seeing when I read your words on this subject: I accept the theory of evolution, BUT there are too many holes in it and I have questions even though there are answers to those questions I will not accept . . . BUT I still believe in evolution. It's kind of hard to debate with that way of thinking.

    You may state you are saying something else, but it seems to be a common perception. The only thing I will ask is for you to read the thread again . . . the answers exist in there some where.

  6. #556
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I agree. But it seems some people equate this 6000 year thing with creationism. To me faith is faith and science is science, but even so one of faith can delve deeply into science and be a boon to mankind.
    That's because a great deal of pseudo-science from the religious side used it as the foundation to build the rest of their 'scientific justification on.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #557
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well then, feel free to ask anything you'd like...I'll answer it if I can...But, please don't be so foolish as to think I am going to pour over 500 postings to find your particular needle in this haystack....Either ask it again, or don't, doesn't matter to me.
    So, if I take this correctly . . . you believe it is OK for you to tell someone to read the entire thread . . . but it isn't OK for someone to mention that very same thing for you? The answers for your questions exist in the thread, not "needle[s] in haystacks", but you don't have time for it. You have time for questions but not answers.

    If I did not know better, I would think you were being contrary on purpose.

  8. #558
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post

    "Most likely" - Meaning you don't know for a certainty?


    (2.) Terms like "suggestive" are commonly used in evolution theory largely because there are holes that can not be explained. That is all I am saying.

    But not all organisms right? I mean, you can't say that with absolute definity when there is so much about our own earth, much less the entirety of the universe that hasn't been scientifically proven.
    *sobs again*

    Again, textbook denial of science. Not just denial, a total display of *not understanding how science works* period.

    Our schools are completely dropping the ball here....this type of misunderstanding is so prevalent.


    "You have lung cancer. It was probably caused by smoking."

    "But you dont know for sure what caused it? How do you know it's cancer? I think I'll wait for treatment until you're sure what caused it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #559
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Before I take your supposed conclusions as credible in the scientific sense, you'd have to lay out your bonafides. You know, why should I believe what you have to say? For all I know, you're a Walmart employee with too much time on his hands....
    Or you could read a book. (not the Bible)

    It's not our job to educate you. Apparently that failed somewhere along the line. We can answer questions....if you want verification...if you really want to learn....then go find some good resources. I'm happy to provide them but all mine are books.

    People think the only miracles occur in the Bible? The deep examination of science shows us miracles all the time. Beautiful and fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #560
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    How educated do you think the average Walmart employee actually is? Do you think that the average Walmart employee has a good grasp of science or history... that they graduated high school with praise for critical thought?
    But the basis for scientific research and discovery and how to prove theories, scientific method....ALL this is taught starting in grammar school and it's not difficult to understand. People just either cant be bothered or refuse to when it conflicts with their 'beliefs.' It's not even specific to any particular field of science or theory or principle...it's a matter of understanding how we conduct the research and examine the evidence and draw conclusions.

    Science is based on skepticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •