Page 55 of 81 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #541
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,890

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    My stop being skeptical comment was sarcasm... by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #542
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,027

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I am not conflating anything. The fact is, that science has some pretty significant holes in understand the origins of aspects of theories...And I am not saying that "God did" anything, or didn't either....All I am saying is that science doesn't answer everything...
    This statement reveals at the heart of it a rather poor understanding of the goal of science. It isn't to have all the answers about the universe, certainly not in the same way that religion does, but rather to seek all the answers, and in a specifically disciplined way that inevitably necessitates a slow and arduous path. Pros: the answers that you do find with the scientific method are more likely to be accurate. Cons: the pace at which those answers are found is really really really really really really slow.

  3. #543
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-06-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    142

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I am not conflating anything. The fact is, that science has some pretty significant holes in understand the origins of aspects of theories...And I am not saying that "God did" anything, or didn't either....All I am saying is that science doesn't answer everything...
    Where did I say it answers everything? Modern science has answered many things that we previously did not know. Any human progress in understanding the universe can be attributed to science, not religion.


    Does all knowledge scientifically begin with potassium 40? In understanding how we came to be, it would make sense to know the start right? If not, and you are saying that science just accepts that at some point things just were, and go from there, then so be it, but don't disparage others for believing in something else at the same time, that also relies on "it just was"....
    I don't deny God could have started everything. I've just seen no tangible evidence using the scientific method, the building block of logical findings about the natural order, to suggest so. I don't like being speculative. Just because we don't know what the origins of such development theory of potassium 40 are doesn't mean such theories aren't true.

    Nah, I don't need the studies, it isn't bed time....heh, heh....And I am not crying anything....This would be you labeling me in your anger for not being able to conclusively answer the beginning. That's not my problem...All I am asking you to do is back up your absolute claims.
    The beginning was God. I concede the point entirely. God started evolution. He is external to the universe and eternal.

    OK. Now what? We still need to understand the mechanics of evolution. I'm personally not interested in something we'll never conclusively know: whether a God exists or not. What we can exist on conclusively knowing is how evolution's mechanics work.

    How many times do I have to tell you that I don't disagree with evolution? Good Lord! Understanding what came before the building blocks would help us understand why the earth is like it is, and how we came to be. You seem to be arguing, or to use your terms "crying" 'IT JUST WAS!' Sorry, that to me is no better answer than a religious person arguing that God created the heavens and the earth in 7 days.
    OK, describe to me, in detail, using the scientific method, what "came before the building blocks"? I don't deny that it is marvellously fascinating, but rather that it has no place in scientific discussion.

    It is strange to you because I didn't say what you have contorted to ascribing to me here. I simply asked you what qualified you to speak authoritatively on the subject, and I used an example of a Walmart employee because you seemed to be passing yourself off as educated on the subject. I could have used, a grocery store employee, or a McDonald's employee, or any entry level job that most young people have. The "job" isn't the point here, your education to the topic is. That you won't answer that question, and continue to twist what I said instead is telling.

    I don't work in the scientific field. That doesn't mean I cannot recite arguments used by the brightest and most qualified on the subject.

  4. #544
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, have the Mod's close the thread...Jet has declared in wondrous liberal fashion, just like in Global Warming the debate is over!

    Good grief liberals are arrogant.
    There would be no debate if science was accepted.

    In this thread you claim that you do not deny science . . . but then you call for debate. Sometimes there just aren't 2-sides to the story.

  5. #545
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who's denying it? I don't disagree that evolution exists, I am only asking questions that try to get to the start....ie; evolved from what? how? when? why?.... But I guess when liberal/progressives are questioned in these ways the only defense to what they can't answer is to label those asking, and calling them stupid, or making crap up about their position that doesn't exist....Way to go Jet, you display this clearly here....

    Let the parsing begin.
    Many people on this thread have afforded you the answers to your questions, and either by choice, or by not reading the answers fully, you still want to debate. Therefore, I think most people who believe in evolution would view you as someone who denies the science.

  6. #546
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Aekos View Post
    Where did I say it answers everything? Modern science has answered many things that we previously did not know. Any human progress in understanding the universe can be attributed to science, not religion.
    On that I think we mostly agree, and I would only add that for those that need the comfort of something larger in the grand scheme of life, religion fills that need...I think we agree that science is fascinating, and answers much that is fact. It's kind of like when ever we have friends over and are discussing things like this, my wife often doesn't want to delve that far into things like this because it is awfully hard to wrap your arms around...Like say the question of 'where does the universe end?' She hates that question.

    I don't deny God could have started everything. I've just seen no tangible evidence using the scientific method, the building block of logical findings about the natural order, to suggest so. I don't like being speculative. Just because we don't know what the origins of such development theory of potassium 40 are doesn't mean such theories aren't true.
    Never said they weren't...And largely I think we agree.

    The beginning was God. I concede the point entirely. God started evolution. He is external to the universe and eternal.
    I agree.

    OK. Now what? We still need to understand the mechanics of evolution. I'm personally not interested in something we'll never conclusively know: whether a God exists or not. What we can exist on conclusively knowing is how evolution's mechanics work.
    And I hope that they continue down that path.

    OK, describe to me, in detail, using the scientific method, what "came before the building blocks"? I don't deny that it is marvellously fascinating, but rather that it has no place in scientific discussion.
    Couldn't if I wanted to, I am neither a scientist, nor a theologian.

    I don't work in the scientific field. That doesn't mean I cannot recite arguments used by the brightest and most qualified on the subject.
    Never said otherwise....As I stated before, it is the mocking of others beliefs in religion that gets me. And since you have already conceded that "God started evolution." then we don't have much of an argument.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #547
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Many people on this thread have afforded you the answers to your questions, and either by choice, or by not reading the answers fully, you still want to debate. Therefore, I think most people who believe in evolution would view you as someone who denies the science.
    Then they would be wrong.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #548
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    There would be no debate if science was accepted.
    I sure hope that isn't true...Because if so, then we stop learning.

    In this thread you claim that you do not deny science . . . but then you call for debate. Sometimes there just aren't 2-sides to the story.
    Absolutism is never a good position to take with unknowns out there.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #549
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then they would be wrong.
    Well, perhaps you can explain how this works: "I don't disagree that evolution exists", yet you refuse to accept any answer as it relates to your "questions that try to get to the start." Perhaps it is you who should read the entire thread (advise you have given others), because I have supplied you with some answers myself. Ignoring their existence doesn't mean they aren't there.

  10. #550
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Well, perhaps you can explain how this works: "I don't disagree that evolution exists", yet you refuse to accept any answer as it relates to your "questions that try to get to the start." Perhaps it is you who should read the entire thread (advise you have given others), because I have supplied you with some answers myself. Ignoring their existence doesn't mean they aren't there.
    I got a littly myopic in my debate with Aekos but in the end we found much to agree on. Maybe my answers to him would help in answering your questions.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 55 of 81 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •