Page 47 of 81 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #461
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Why has no terrestrial predator ever eliminated all competitors? Or all pelagic (living in the ocean) predators eliminated all their competitors? Why arent eagles the ONLY avian predator still in existence?

    Because a species does not evolve in a vacuum. Again: evolution is nothing more than a RESPONSE to environmental change.

    Every living species on earth EXPLOITS its own niches within many diverse habitats. The ones that do not succeed disappear...eventually. Or, they adapt.

    So the competitive pressures of OTHER species...predators in this case....drive evolutionary genetic changes in directions where that species is or may be successful.
    I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying the reasons for why there isn't such a thing as a super predator are varied in the macro/micro world. They range from the particular adaptations of a predator to its environment, to the range it covers, to the prey itself.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #462
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,710

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying the reasons for why there isn't such a thing as a super predator are varied in the macro/micro world. They range from the particular adaptations of a predator to its environment, to the range it covers, to the prey itself.
    Apologies...I was actually responding to OftenCold thru you.

    I used you....heh heh. No, I'm truly sorry...I just didnt see his original post in recent pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #463
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,710

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Aw, don't worry, although I was being just a bit tongue in cheek there, it is striking that the reply to it was a wiki page listing "the Ministry of Creationism" as authoritative source. Look, I don't have all the answers, and neither do those who argue evolution, as evidenced above by a poster, not interested in anything but calling those who believe in creation names, and stupid. Great debate right?

    We dont have all the answers in physics or space travel, yet we've reached the moon and Mars. We VIEWED galaxies millions of light years away. Are you saying that quantum physics is invalid? Just because 'we dont know everything' doesnt mean that the foundation and data isnt valid. Are there still questions? Sure. Is the basic theory not only valid but functional? Yes.

    We dont have all the answers for brain surgery. We know lots about the neuroscience that has charted the various sensory centers of the brain. Do we have all the answers about neuroscience? No. Do we understand the basic...and more sophisticated...functioning of the brain? Yes. Is that knowlege functional? Yes...we perform successful brain surgery all the time. But since we dont have all the answers....would you just toss it all out and say 'oh, it's just a theory.'???? Would you deny yourself or a family member surgery because "we dont have all the answers?:

    Or do you have the sense to realize that the science is still good and founded on solid evidence, research, and verified proof and let them try to save your life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #464
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows





    Okay - who here rejects evolution?

    Show of hands please.


    "Republicans" are growing skeptical???? Really?

    Like there's growing evidence against evolution?
    Yeah. Certainly sounds as though moveon funded this gem.

  5. #465
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,495

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    it is striking that the reply to it was a wiki page
    As opposed to those people who use that great oracle of scientific fact - the bible.

  6. #466
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,495

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Yeah. Certainly sounds as though moveon funded this gem.
    Why?

    Are you doubting the claims?

    Are you suggesting there's a smaller percentage of Americans that reject evolution?

  7. #467
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    So this is good news. Looks like the number rejecting evolution is falling from the study done in 2005 and the number accepting evolution has risen dramatically.

    060810-evolution_big.jpg

    In reality, it's probably all in the question.

  8. #468
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    In reality, it's probably all in the question.
    Oddly enough, the issue some how got super politicized in the US. Be interesting to go back and look at how that exactly occurred as to learn how better to educate the public in science.

  9. #469
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    As opposed to those people who use that great oracle of scientific fact - the bible.
    No one claims that. It's just your own nasty little attack of those that think differently than you. And it's petty.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #470
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,495

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No one claims that. It's just your own nasty little attack of those that think differently than you. And it's petty.
    Not being nasty at all.

    And nothin petty either.

    What's petty is ignoring scientific fact and replacing it with thinly veiled religious belief.

Page 47 of 81 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •