Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #421
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If only. With advances in medicine and gradual improvements in the social safety net fewer and fewer Darwin Awards are handed out every year.
    .....which is not evidence of evolution, but of our collective attempt to stop evolution, and create the world as we wish it were. .
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #422
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Attachment 67159234

    Kent Hovind... I implore everyone to find his "dissertation" to his fraudulent university and read it. It is hilarious, but about on par with the abject stupidity of the creationists.
    Thank you God for for blessing us all with this amount of hilarity in Kent Hovind.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Hey let's put a B grade schlock movie actor in office ! That can triple debt!
    A f*ckin' monkey would have more sense than to do some asshole thing like that...
    MV5BMTUxNjExOTA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkxODgyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

  4. #424
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Right - because the rest of the world undoubtedly believes in evolution. (sarcasm). It's just us retarded Americans who can't get our **** together who are dumb.

    For many people - in a large number of religions - it conflicts with religious doctrines or they're not taught any such thing in school (if they have a school at all to attend).

    You're acting like knowledge that we teach is some sort of generic info that everyone is aware of. Evolution is a relatively new school of thought in contrast to things like math. And couple that with religious conflicts - it's often not taught at all in school save for 'a theory'

    Because - mind you - it is still just a theory.


    This right here is the problem. People don't even understand what the word "theory" means in a scientific context.

    And yes, in the context of people in the developed world -- which is to say people who almost universally have access to information -- it really is just us retarded Americans who still have a foot in the 18th century when it comes to science.

  5. #425
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the election of the current occupant of the oval office proves your point beyond any reasonable dispute
    Obama's bad, but anyone who voted for GWB needs their head examined.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #426
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Obama's bad, but anyone who voted for GWB needs their head examined.
    Let's be honest.

    Bush round 1 you are sane.

    Bush round 2 you are insane.

    Same for Obama.

    You are out of your mind to support either of these comical jokes of 'leaders' in round 2.

    Furthermore, you may be insane to think 'human' politics can lead to positive effect.

    Round 1 we all get a pass.

    Round 2 exposes the fools.

    Further support of human politic is tantamount to renouncing your humanity.

  7. #427
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Are saying if evolution occured there would only be one primate? No primates? Not sure.
    If humans evolved from monkeys, specifically chimps, then why are there still chimps?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #428
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We don't, but there's no evidence that it did account for something so in a scientific discussion it's not terribly relevant.
    So, you just want to not bother with what you can't explain. That's not very scientific of you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #429
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,549

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If humans evolved from monkeys, specifically chimps, then why are there still chimps?
    Really??? Seriously???? Are you just playing games here?

    How come there are still monkeys? - RationalWiki

    Some creationists ask questions like this thinking they've made a real zinger you can't possibly answer, and all of evolution thus falls apart. These have little interest in your answer, let alone in serious discussion of the issue.
    I'm guessing that's all I should need to post, but in the bigger picture....

    Evolution is the change in populations, not in individuals.

    Evolution is not a process in which species universally progress up a "ladder".

    Humans are not descended from any modern species of monkey; both monkeys and humans are descended from some long-extinct ancestor pre-dating both. Although this species, if it were transferred to today, would be considered a "monkey", it is not any living species of monkey.

    Evolution explains how humans developed from a primate ancestor, but not an extant species of monkey or ape. (Modern primates include: bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, macaques, lemurs, gibbons, and humans. None of these is a descendant of any other.)

    Speciation can occur by branching into two or more reproductively isolated populations (cladogenesis) or when a single population changes over time to such an extent that the later population is considered a different species (anagenesis).
    The question also seems to assume that evolution moves from more simple organisms to more complex ones. Given a simplistic view of evolution, it's easy to assume that humans are more complex than monkeys and that consequently "humans evolved from monkeys". But evolution is about adaptation, and this doesn't necessarily involve an increase in complexity — though increases in complexity are frequently the result of improved adaptation. While modern humans certainly possess intellectual skills far superior to those of modern monkeys, it is by no means clear that their common ancestor was less intelligent — or even more monkey-like — than the modern monkey.
    Humans are only "superior" to monkeys in terms of intelligence, and the hidden assumption is that intelligence is a sign that we are the "most evolved". From our anthropomorphic point of view, this makes us superior. However, if we were to classify "most evolved" as meaning "most able to live in trees" then the pinnacle of evolution would be held by monkeys. One could choose any extremely evolved capability to make the same claim—an elephant's trunk for example.

    Honestly....please don't dumb-down evolution to "why are there still monkeys". It's just rather sad and pathetic.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If humans evolved from monkeys, specifically chimps, then why are there still chimps?
    I'm certainly not an expert on evolution, but I think that it's more like species "branching out" rather than like a monkey actually transforming into a human.

Page 43 of 81 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •